C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Engine Oil Leak

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 09:10am
Member No: #21
Hi, there has been some talk about oil drips from the pipe connecting the intercooler to the throttle body, but mine seems to have got worse!

This morning, the oil level warning came up together with SERVICE, and sure enough it was at the bottom of the dip stick and needed more than a litre of oil to get it to mid stick.

After 7 years, this is the first time I've ever added oil outwith a service so clearly something is wrong. (Its also the first car since my student days which has developed an oil leak)

Anyway, I need to go looking, maybe next week sometime. I guess suspect areas are:-

1/ Turbo-charger oil seals

2/ Brake Booster vacuum pipe

3/ Oil/Water intercooler

4/ Crankshaft seals

Does anyone else have any other ideas what might be causing this and how to go looking for the problem.

thanks
321dave   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 11:22am
Member No: #614
gmerry wrote ...

Hi, there has been some talk about oil drips from the pipe connecting the intercooler to the throttle body, but mine seems to have got worse!

This morning, the oil level warning came up together with SERVICE, and sure enough it was at the bottom of the dip stick and needed more than a litre of oil to get it to mid stick.

After 7 years, this is the first time I've ever added oil outwith a service so clearly something is wrong. (Its also the first car since my student days which has developed an oil leak)

Anyway, I need to go looking, maybe next week sometime. I guess suspect areas are:-

1/ Turbo-charger oil seals

2/ Brake Booster vacuum pipe

3/ Oil/Water intercooler

4/ Crankshaft seals

Does anyone else have any other ideas what might be causing this and how to go looking for the problem.

thanks

Hi G, it's the same for me also. Just posted to Vaho this morning about how best way to access the rear breather pipe No2 on the recent diagram regarding the crank case venting system. I had a low oil warning about two week ago myself, I then added half a litre, but I park on a slope so that has its effects on the warning sensor depending on the direction of the car.
Anyway, I have drops leaking out at the moment from the bad intercooler pipe i have with a small crack ( pipe is wet with oil) but that is due to be replaced next week. I'm not only watching the coolant level till I get a level sensor working but also now watching the oil level! But, would like to know where the oil is coming from? Is it the vacuum breather pipe no 2 or a worn out turbo seal(s)?
C6Chester   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 08:20pm
Member No: #2287
I had an oil leak on mine that was picked up on the last service. It was fairly severe because it kept leaving oil patches on my driveway each morning. Citroen wanted a fair chunk just to diagnose the leak so I took a gamble and bought some of this for a measly £6 -

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/wynns-engine-stop-leak-325ml

I haven't had any leakage at all since I put a tin of that stuff in, which was months ago.
Cisco   
Fri Nov 25 2016, 01:28pm
Member No: #1429
Hi Gordon,

That is worrying. If it helps..

When I changed out my oil/water heat exchanger I found a large pool of oil/water had gathered in the "V"of the engine. I was never sure if this was a result of the failure of the exchanger or from removing the exchanger without draining the sump. Either way the V is watertight and could explain where your litre of oil has got to if there is no outward sign of oil leakage.

Obviously you can see immediately if the rhs crank seal is leaking howeverI'm not sure if there is a drain from the drive side torque converter but I would expect so.

Good luck with it, fingers crossed it's an easily fixed problem.

All the best,

Frank

ps C6Chester, if that [%*^#@!] can seal a casing leak what do you thing it's doing to the crank journals and oilways etc..
gmerry   
Tue Nov 29 2016, 10:01am
So far, the investigation into the oil leak/ disappearing level has consisted of no usage of the car for 4 days. The oil level on the dipstick has not moved.

This suggests to me I've not got a static leak from say a gasket so will probably need to run the engine next and get underneath and see if the source of the dripping is obvious.

Any suggestions?
Junksleeper   
Tue Jan 03 2017, 03:36pm
Member No: #1605
I had a very similar problem with oil loss at the same rate. It turned out to be valve seals between the Air intake throttle valve housing and the airflow calming housing. According to the service sheet the partnumbers are 1636 20 and 1636 22 but I recall the parts are tiny and took two weeks to get hold of. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Mike
gmerry   
Wed Mar 01 2017, 08:09pm
Whilst changing the alternator pulley, I had a good look around for the source of any oil leak.

There appears to be a few drips along the bottom of the aircon compressor and along the bottom of the transmission of CLEAR oil. I.e not engne oil. So is it LDS leaking from somewhere or transmission fluid? It didn't look like coolant.

The big plastic pipe that runs from the intercooler to the throttle body also did not have much oil in it so I'm thinking now that the oil sitting on top of the undertray, is probably not leaking engine oil.

Anyway, I'll keep looking.
321dave   
Thu Mar 02 2017, 12:55am
Member No: #614
Hi G,
how is your engine oil level on the dip stick? Any sign of the average level decreasing over a period of checks? It could very well be a suspension leak as well. Mine has a small leak on one of the small hydraulic pipes near the suspension pump, but it has misted up the pipe and general area beneath it. Hope it's noting serious.

e3steve   
Tue Mar 07 2017, 12:44pm
Member No: #1163
Mine does this, Gordon, So did Colin's -- colc -- and Phil's. It's usually the itty-bitty-skinny LDS plumbing. Phil replaced his and all was cured; Colin's were replaced during a service last Easter.

I have now stocked them in order to do mine; sorry, I don't have the part numbers to hand but I can post them here over the weekend...
gmerry   
Tue Mar 07 2017, 03:26pm
Hi Dave and Steve, OK, the oil level on the dipstick has dropped a smidge but I need to log this better (I park on a slope mostly so that's my excuse).

The wee LDS hoses by the pump, one of these was replaced when the car was only 11 months old so it must be the other one. Best get on with it and order both for replacement.

Thanks
G

Yes, drg reference and part numbers would be helpful.
Citrofix   
Fri Mar 10 2017, 07:14am
Member No: #1722
Hi, do you mean the suspension feed pipes With a short bit of hose pressed on the pipes ?. I have seen leakage on these, mainly the pressure pipe for the front suspension. I had a look at this pipe from a C6 I repaired, used Dremel to cut away the hose and found a New high pressure hose to press on With a hydraulic hose press tool, looks very solid, will try it on my C6 soon. Sadly these parts are extremely expensive in Norway, about 340,- pounds, and the one for the rear suspension even more!...
gmerry   
Fri Mar 10 2017, 10:06am
Hi Citrofix, if we are to talk about aftermarket or alternative suppliers for these LDS Hydraulic micro-hoses, perhaps we should start a new thread?

In the meantime, the end fitting connections/seals need to be identified. Perhaps this supplier could make new complete aftermarket hose assemblies if we obtain the correct data - Click Here -
hydrotechnik

regards
e3steve   
Sun Mar 12 2017, 10:04am
As promised, Gordon:

e3steve   
Sun Mar 12 2017, 10:25am
Invoice:

I think there are just the two, but Phil would be able to confirm that with authority. They can, apparently, be replaced without major disassembly but, once again, over to Phil; he stated to me that one of them needs to be re-shaped (see 'bent') and reformed once in its general location.
gmerry   
Sun Mar 12 2017, 11:49am
Hi E3Steve, you didn't keep the oil hydraulic tubes by any chance? (5270SC and 5270VN). I'd like to look at the terminations and end seals to see how they function. If I replace with factory spec, this will be the 3rd ones on my car hence I figure its worth a look at the Hydrotechnik micro hose.

regards
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club