C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

fuel filter 2.7 diesel

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
alanr7   
Sun Nov 20 2016, 02:33pm
Member No: #304
HI i need to change my fuel filter but i do not know where it is or how to change it, any tips would be welcome many thanks Alan
gmerry   
Sun Nov 20 2016, 03:54pm
Member No: #21
Hi Alan, the fuel filter is located towards the back of the engine bay in the middle of the car and on top of the engine (just to the left of the cross-over pipe looking forwards from the drivers seat).

There is a protective metal plate on top of the filter: this needs to be removed (various 10mm hex bolts).

Once you have removed the protective plate, you can see 4 screws that retain the plastic cover. Before removing this cover, drain down the filter housing body. To do this, there is a drain screw located at the base/side of the filter body which needs a large x screwdriver to undo. Leading from the drain screw is a clear plastic hose and you will need to catch the fuel from the end of the hose (about 500ml).

To access the end of the clear plastic hose, you could remove the undershield and get at it from below. I'm more inclined to remove the air filter plastic housing and access it from the top of the engine bay.

Once the filter housing is drained down, clean the two fuel hoses connected to the top of the filter housing and then disconnect the fuel hoses and cover with a clean plastic bag to stop any dirt entering the system (take extreme care with this).

Then remove the filter body cover, withdraw the filter element, clean the inside of the filter housing using a lint free cloth, more diesel fuel etc. Inspect the used filter element for anything unusual, discard.

Install the new element and reassemble.

The engine normally self bleeds out the air in a matter of seconds.

regards
vaho   
Mon Nov 21 2016, 02:12pm
Member No: #2228
One picture also, fuel filter is marked with circle:

When I changed it in my Peugeot 607, 2.7 HDI(the same engine) I did not drained the filter body. Just lifted the old one out and put the new one in, so it can be done without draining. If the housing needs cleaning you have to drain it of course.
gmerry   
Mon Nov 21 2016, 03:26pm
Handy having the picture of the engine!

I guess its impossible to tell whether the filter housing needs cleaning/is contaminated unless the fuel is drained away and one can see. Anyhow, doing it from the top only takes another 5 minutes.

Could you add another arrow showing location of drain screwhead (better than my verbal description)
regards
vaho   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 06:59am
I believe you are right. CouldnĀ“t find any actual pictures, this is from Citroen Service and the drain screw is no 18.

Bishop   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 02:00pm
Member No: #868
Blimey - the complexity of the packaging that engine, seen out of its shell like that, explains why every fix seems to be complicated ... and pricey!
vaho   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 02:28pm
In general I agree, but changing the fuel and oil filters is actually dead easy compared to some other cars. They are placed very handy ontop of the engine.
cruiserphil   
Tue Nov 22 2016, 09:18pm

Member No: #38
Not the fuel filter on the 3.0HDi, Vaho. It''s underneath the car behind the fuel tank!

Best regards,

Phil C.
vaho   
Wed Nov 23 2016, 02:38pm
Yes, the 3.0HDI is different in that regard. Also the EGR-valves are new design with price tag 500 plus euros. Nice!!:

gmerry   
Wed Nov 23 2016, 05:12pm
Hi Vaho, yes integral cooler and very expensive because of it. A bit silly really.
Tjensen   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 01:20pm
Member No: #954
The arguments for the improvements in the EGR valve are in the the general desicription of the new engine. Price from Citroen Norway is 850 EUR for one valve!!!! (there are some around half price on ebay, I think) But on the other side, the 3,0 is a very advanced engine with more power, less pollution, less use of diesel, faster response etc etc

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club