Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ul9601   
Sun Nov 13 2016, 06:44pm
Member No: #1975
Hi guys,
A bit of issues with my 06 2.7 HDi regarding suspension:

I was turning left into a shop driveway (slowly - as a good C6 driver should) then almighty clunking sound came from front then slightly smaller noise when turned into a parking bay. I got out of the car expecting a wheel sitting at funny angle but looked ok. I was only 1-2km away from home so took a gamble and drove home, during which, a couple of other worrying problems occurred, one driving straight and gentle at 50km, the car took uncommanded sharp swerve to left, and shortly after ESP/ASR message came up. I did manage to drive home without further issues but not game enough to drive 10km to a garage which supposedly sees a fair few C6's.
Also upon shutting off of the engine clattering noise was heard for a couple of seconds, which I understand to be alternator pulley clutch. I've noticed this a couple of previously occasions. This really shouldn't be related too the suspension issues but who knows?

When I had the car serviced about a week ago (not at the garage I will be sending it to), I was told FL strut is stuffed (not sure what they meant by this though), possibly an engine mount. Then there is a minor leak from one of those small LDS pipes just inboard of the LDS tank. The impression I got from the mechanic was that none of those was the-big-red-Citroen-"STOP"-driving deal and they were supposed to come back to me with a quote but never did.
Pumped up the suspension to high, FL has the rubber gaiter rode up the strut compared to FR, if it is of any significance.

I'm going to arrange the garage to look at it and see what happens.
I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers,
Sam

FraserG   
Sun Nov 13 2016, 11:46pm
Member No: #2011
Oh dear Sam,

That doesn't sound good. Fingers crossed that it is minor rather than major!

Cheers Fraser
ul9601   
Mon Nov 14 2016, 04:01am
Thanks Fraser - we'll see how this goes but not too optimistic. The way the car drives and looking at the jobs done in previous owners hands, I think it's due for good amount of suspension work.
321dave   
Mon Nov 14 2016, 04:10pm
Member No: #614
ul9601 wrote ...

Thanks Fraser - we'll see how this goes but not too optimistic. The way the car drives and looking at the jobs done in previous owners hands, I think it's due for good amount of suspension work.

Hi Sam,
when you drive into your local underground car park and put the drivers or passengers window down, can you hear any sounds like a squeaking sound as you go up the ramps? Give that a try and see if you hear that particular noise. That is the noise of a deteriorating front suspension strut in my experience. I remember that sound before i replaced my front right strut a year or so ago and the squeak went away straight away. It might have other issues as well though as G said in another Thread, i think in that case it was a bolt coming or working lose. Reminds me to check those front bolts at fuel fill up this evening. Thanks G!

best of luck anyway.
gmerry   
Mon Nov 14 2016, 05:27pm
Member No: #21
Hi Sam, have you checked the hydraulic fluid level: if very low because of leaks that might have caused issues with the steering???

Best of luck
G
ul9601   
Mon Nov 14 2016, 06:14pm
Dave yes to squeaky noise but I attributed it to tyres sticking to the surface as I have that kind of noise on most of my cars in parking buildings if I remember correctly.

G - I haven't checked LDS level but I should ve. I didn't think that would have been the cause as the service was done only a month ago and they didn't mention anything about LDS level, only small weep from the pipe next to tank. I just checked it though, I couldn't quite make out the LDS under basket so it may well be that.

thanks guys.
ul9601   
Fri Nov 18 2016, 08:24pm
Update - they put it down to FR FRIP & lower rear bushing. Unfortunately though, it spat out "suspension faulty" message a couple of times not long after I picked it up and driving home (within 1km from the garage) so it's back in the shop. It won't get anything done now as it was Friday afternoon, might have been a dreaded case of Friday afternoon quality control as there was only one guy waiting for me to pick it up at 430pm when I got there.
Also I had the gearbox flushed but what's worrying is the invoice had "AL4ATF" as part/consumable for the fluid - AL4 specifies something totally different if I recall correctly from my C5 days (LT71141(?)). I'll have to talk to them about it on Monday.
ul9601   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 07:45am
Got the car back this afternoon - apparently the use of aftermarket bush on one side only caused the suspension geometry to go funny with the other side still having the OEM bushing. So they have done both sides. No other issue so far apart from seemingly hard rear suspension (a lot harder, actually compared to before getting the work done) This is going over bumps and dips like manhole covers. I'll have to see how bad it is over the course of next few days as I live at the end of a street where there are about 10-15 speed bumps. as for the ATF, they told me it's Total Fluidmatic MV.
vaho   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 08:47am
Member No: #2228
Well, Total Fluidmatic MV seems not to be the correct oil:
http://www.total-distributor-partners.com/media/76101/total_fluidmatic_mv_lv_022014_en.pdf

I think it is compatible with the Aisin AW-1/WS (JWS 3324) oil which goes into Euro 5 gearboxes. Citroen does not allow the AW-1 and JWS 3309 oils to mix.
Since they flushed your box the oils are not mixed but I donĀ“t know really how it can affect the box as time goes by. I would go for correct JWS 3309 oil to be sure.

See the gearbox oil change technical document:

CAUTION : The oil type "AW-1" in AT6 and AM6 gearboxes with engine version Euro 5 is specific and cannot be replaced with oil type ""JWS 3309""
gmerry   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 09:17am
Member No: #21
Hi Sam, if they replaced the rearmost lower wishbone bush with an aftermarket one, there will likely be a suspension geometry problem. Lots of posts on this forum. Basically all of the aftermarket bushes for Peugeot and other Citroen applications are the wrong thickness on the mounting pad. The fact that they did one side and spotted a problem side to side says it all.

To do the job properly, the entire wishbone needs replacing with an OEM C6 specific item, or the aftermarket bush needs shimming up (needs 10mm spacer). Don't use aftermarket wishbones: wrong geometry.

I'll dig out some relevant posts tomorrow when I have some time (unless you beat me to it).

Anyhow, confirm if you can, what has been replaced with what.
cruiserphil   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 12:11pm

Member No: #38
Hello Sam,

Further to G's points, when wishbones are changed the vehicle heights need to be changed/adjusted. This may explain the stiff rear suspension your experiencing.

Not to contradict Vaho, but if the ATF is Fluidmatic MV , it is JWS3309 compatible - Click Here -. However, Fluidmatic MV LV is the Euro 5(JWS 3324) as shown by Vaho.

Best regards,

Phil C.
vaho   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 02:13pm
Member No: #2228
Yes Phil you are right! My mistake.
ul9601   
Thu Nov 24 2016, 07:17pm
Well, yes regarding the ATF, I've been told it's MV and I was slightly confused as the first data sheet I looked up was for MV LV which doesn't qualify for JWS3309. Then I found MV data sheet, which does list the correct JWS spec.
As for the bushing replacement, they told me they have done a number of them (i.e., I didn't suggest the aftermarket bushing replacement as opposed to the whole arm aasy), I'll call if the height has been checked and adjusted (if necessary)
ul9601   
Fri Dec 02 2016, 08:01pm
Sorry it's been a while - just an update.
I've been told the height was checked and adjusted.
I didn't get a sense out of them regarding why they couldn't set up the aftermarket bushing side to the other side with the original bushing without having to change both.
As for the hard rear suspension, another BS response "they all ride like that".
No point arguing the matter with them, as they just don't know what they are doing. The best I can do is stay the hell away from them...

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club