C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

C6 Locking Wheel Nuts

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
PercyPorcelain   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 08:27pm
Member No: #2027
More trouble than they're worth... Kwikfit claimed they'd sheared and of course I couldn't prove they'd done it because I hadn't inspected... anyway like everyone says, who'd want to nick C6 wheels? Replaced with non-locking ones, problem sorted
e3steve   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 07:25am
Member No: #1163
I agree with your 'anyway' comment; and good luck to anyone attempting to plant a C6 on bricks!

I never let tyre fitters crack-off mine -- I do it myself with a breaker bar, after having seated the locking cap. Also, I never let them jack it up without vee-blocks on the pads; if they're not equipped then they don't get my business.

A fitter once told me that the locking cap (and one bolt) was "on it's way out". Funny, as they were all perfect before he started the job!

My local 'tame' supplier uses a torque-wrench, set correctly from a settings chart on his wall.

At home, I undo the bolts with my breaker bar then, when refitting the wheels, spin them back in with my cheapie cordless Draper impact gun, finishing off the final pinch using a standard ½"-drive ratchet (less leverage). They need to be undo-able using the roadside kit!
gmerry   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 12:23pm
Member No: #21
Do you lube or leave rusty/dry?

If you lube, what do you use?
e3steve   
Fri Nov 04 2016, 07:55am
Member No: #1163
gmerry wrote ...

Do you lube or leave rusty/dry?

If you lube, what do you use?
I leave the seats dry, Gordon, but I run a smear of... wait for it..., yes, silicone grease(!) onto the bolts' threads, using a toothbrush, along with the further smear of the stuff around the hubs' centres.
Rafel   
Mon Apr 11 2022, 09:52am
Member No: #4986
I had to deal with the problem that the locking bolts were extremely tight.
I don't like welding, as this probably gives too much heat to the alloy rim.
Finally, I was able to fix the problem by cutting a normal spare screw and making a hole in the locking bolt.
You can see that the first attempt failed, as it wasn't strong enough. But the second one worked as expected.

cruiserphil   
Tue Apr 12 2022, 10:28am

Member No: #38
Thanks for posting Rafel,

The best thing you can do is throw the locking bolts in the bin and fit standard bolts. Also tyre shops can destroy the special socket by using an impact gun on them.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club