C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Suspension fault

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
FreakyFrenchFan   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 04:22pm
Member No: #2057
As previously mentioned in another thread, my C6 is now showing an intermittent suspension fault warning. Strangely it only seems to come on most of the time when the car is travelling at motorway speeds. Two site members including David Hallsworth have offered possible causes. One suggested that wiring too, or a link pin on, the O/S lower suspension arm height sensor may be at fault. The other suggested that it may be a bracket on the wishbone that holds the height corrector link. Are these two people suggesting one and the same thing here? I should mention that despite the fault warning, the suspension appears to be working fine.
e3steve   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 06:58am
Member No: #1163
This was happening to mine, with a degree of intermittency, prior to the suspension pump motor's failure...
PIT   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 08:58am
Member No: #2671
I had the same error.
The car was not horizontal and my mechanic tried to fix it with a little manual adjustment of one front sensor. The car became leveled but the error started to show randomly while driving. On LEXIA/DiagBox we found that the front sensors are reading +50mm and -55mm. So we tried to reprogram it but the procedure failed. After several fails they found that the holding bracket of the other sensor (not the one they touched) was bend. They fixed it and the programming was successful. No more Suspension fault.
Website
FreakyFrenchFan   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 12:56pm
e3steve wrote ...

This was happening to mine, with a degree of intermittency, prior to the suspension pump motor's failure...

How much is a suspension pump?
robingc33   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 02:37pm
Member No: #2303
Approx £850 with C6 owners discount from Duff Morgan.
Robin
FreakyFrenchFan   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 02:43pm
robingc33 wrote ...

Approx £850 with C6 owners discount from Duff Morgan.
Robin

Jesus Christ! Let's hope it's just a bracket then.
vaho   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 05:15pm
Member No: #2228
Just a thought, is the tire and wheel size the same as registered in the cars computer? I got an intermittent suspension faulty alarm when I changed to winter tires 225/55/17 when the size registered was 245/45/18. Changed that with Diagbox (Lexia somehow refused to make a change) and no more faults.
FreakyFrenchFan   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 05:56pm
New tyres on the car but the correct size.
gmerry   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 09:33pm
Member No: #21
Vaho, I've been changing winter to summer wheels back and forth for 7 years and the small difference has never caused a suspension fault.
321dave   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 10:19pm
Member No: #614
Got a puncture once on the motorway, and i knew something was up when I saw the suspension fault message come up on screen and started to pull up, and as I slowed to a stop gently, I started to hear the tyre as well. I knew that the suspension was fine and most likely I had a puncture, and it was!! It is definitely sensitive to the height changing.
vaho   
Fri Nov 04 2016, 07:18am
Yes G, I have also read that this is no issue with most of the people but it really caused an error when I changed from 18 to 17. The actual code was something about wheel speed incoherence, can´t remember exactly. The message was Suspension Faulty. Maybe it was something to do with tire condition, because the winter ones were a bit more used than summer ones, who knows.
The difference between 18 and 17 inch wheel heights with new tires is negligible with 245/45/18 wheel 677,7 mm and 225/55/17 wheel 679,3 mm, but if some tires are more worn than others the difference increases and maybe that will be out of reference value and causes the error message.
e3steve   
Fri Nov 04 2016, 07:48am
Member No: #1163
FreakyFrenchFan wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

How much is a suspension pump?
You can check if it's the pump motor by measuring its current draw. If it pulls more than 32 Amps once it's running, you have a forthcoming problem...

I picked up a pump, on The Bay, for ninety five quid. It was from a C5. I didn't want to go changing too much, so I swapped the motor in situ. It's a bit of a faff, but do-able; bumper off, r/h headlamp out, washer bottle neck pulled, etc.

My motor had thrown its armature windings all over the place.
furriegurrie   
Fri Nov 04 2016, 09:27am
Member No: #2448
vaho wrote ...

Just a thought, is the tire and wheel size the same as registered in the cars computer? I got an intermittent suspension faulty alarm when I changed to winter tires 225/55/17 when the size registered was 245/45/18. Changed that with Diagbox (Lexia somehow refused to make a change) and no more faults.

I was unable to change this with Lexia too last year. Gave up in the end but never got an error.

Never tried to even install Diagbox. What version should I be looking for and does it install along side of Lexia? Or do I need a different laptop?
vaho   
Fri Nov 04 2016, 10:19am
Yes, the different laptop is needed. I haven´t tried to install them on one laptop though so I don´t know for sure but is is said that the programs interfere and will not work. I have a version 7.60 if I remember it correctly. It came with interface from China along with Lexia and PP2000 software.
I personally do not use Diagbox very often because the laptop itself is ancient and slow but on this occasion it was useful.
321dave   
Fri Nov 04 2016, 11:59am
Member No: #614
Hi Steve, I can almost see one of your legendary PDF's coming in how to change over the motor while leaving the pump itself still installed.

I've started looking in all truth for a suitable C5 replacement motor myself. One morning the broken suspension will be mine!! Here's hoping the previous owners sorted that potential fault already. But just in case, I might as well get something going in the pipeline.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club