Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

No cruise control / brake light switch ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Tue Nov 01 2016, 10:10am
Member No: #2793
Among the lesser issues on the new toy is the non-functioning of the cruise control. Zero response to any of the steering wheel buttons. I have looked at the various posts on the issue and obviously the brake lamp switch is up there as something to look at. Just wondered if anyone has the data for testing the switch terminals, or is it simply a three terminal job with alternate open / closed contact ?

This must be quite a busy switch, as I understand it also controls the gearbox selector release from 'Park' and the handbrake release. Is it perhaps worth replacing as a precautionary measure ?

Also read the bit about jiggling the steering column about, so I guess we are looking at duff contacts, in effect ? Are they accessible / invisible / any benefit in pulling the steering wheel ?

Mike.
Dan595   
Tue Nov 01 2016, 10:41am
Member No: #299
Try the steering wheel first - move in and out and up and down.
Usually works.

vaho   
Tue Nov 01 2016, 02:22pm
Member No: #2228
And if that doesn´t work take off the bottom cover of the steering wheel column (2 X Torx 20) and disconnect/reconnect the outer most connections and try to loosen the overall tension of the wires. Worked for me, it has operated after this action some three months for now with no issues.
PIT   
Tue Nov 01 2016, 03:08pm
Member No: #2671
Same here on 3 different C6. No matter the type of the steering column. Mine is electric, the other two are manual. All of them work after moving it. Mine is already fixed with what @vaho explained.
Website
onthecut   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 10:34am
Member No: #2793
Thanks Guys.

Spot on advice; slackened the column adjustment clamp; good waggle in and out, up and down ---- all come to life.

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club