C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

First proper run ---- fidgety suspension

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Mon Oct 24 2016, 08:32pm
Member No: #2793
Finally on the road after a couple of weeks of works and overall, very happy. I do think however the suspension feels a little fidgety at times. It's not as 'together' as an X7 C5 we have or quite as smooth as facelift C5.

I see the front lower arms have independent height sensors -- haven't looked at the back, yet. It's almost as though the messages from the height sensors are arriving at fractionally different times and any corrections are just that bit out of step. According to the Lexia, the only fault on the suspension is that of the steering wheel angle sensor -- might this be an issue ?

The symptoms, such as they are, are most noticeable at modest speed on country lane type roads. Wind the speed on a bit on an A road and it seems more composed.

Mike.

Trainman   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 06:35am

Member No: #86
Steering wheel angle sensor, is a common problem, I suspect it's a software glitch between the BSI and Lexia, as it shows on every one.

What could be a problem, is the brackets the sensors are mounted on, maybe bent, It's worth replacing them, I think they are about £5 each
onthecut   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 08:17am
Member No: #2793
Is there any info about on testing this angle sensor other than with a Lexia ? Does it literally measure the angle of the wheel, or did I read somewhere it's the rate at which the wheel is being turned ? If the latter, I guess it generates a miniscule voltage ?

If each wheel has a height sensor, does the system deal with each individually ? If it does , we must almost be back in Activa territory.

Mike.
vaho   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 11:36am
Member No: #2228
I think it is worth to check and adjust the suspension height. The correct height is crucial for the suspension to work properly. There are several topics here about the procedure, put "suspension height" in the search box. I just adjusted and finetuned mine and it made a huge difference. I bought my car few months back and since I have never driven C6 before, I thought this is what they suppose to feel like. Over time I had a feeling though that something is not right, it was a bit hard and there was a thump when dropping from a curb for excample. As it turned out the height was 12mm too high at the front and 12 mm too low at the rear. After adjustment as said the suspension feels completely different, much more like the magic carpety ride as described.
I am not saying that this is the answer to your problem but it is worth to check it out. Lexia is of course needed to program the suspension ECU.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club