C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Coolant level sensor retrofit solved.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
furriegurrie   
Sun Oct 16 2016, 04:08pm
Member No: #2448
I've done the wiring for this upgrade today. Also checked in lexia where I could activate the sensor. Still waiting for the sensor to arrive. I had a right scare when I connected everything up and fired up the car. The service light came on and an error on the screen alerted me that the gearbox was at fault. Couldn't get the selector out of the P position. Turned out to be a blown 10A fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet....pffff
furriegurrie   
Fri Oct 21 2016, 08:17pm
Today I finally got my sensor. I tried to buy 1 of off Ebay. An expansion tank from a 407 with the sensor in it. But it doesn't arrive and the shipping details are never updated so I cancelled that.
The cheap sensor (1306F2 I believe) I ordered through Peugeot came back as nfp. The sensor I got now the other 1306e3. Also nfp according to the guy at the Peugeot garage, but there were some around in stock at dealers. Turned up in a nice Citroën bag!

Connected it to the wiring I installed earlier and activated the sensor in the bsi through lexia. And when I staryed the carI got the warning. I then put the sensor in a glass.of water and the message went away. So it works. Now I just have to cut the hole and fit the sensor. Thanks again for this excellent set of instructions!
vaho   
Sat Oct 22 2016, 05:05am
Member No: #2228
Good to know that it is coming together. For the hole in the tank this kind of multitool is handy, that is what I used.

furriegurrie   
Sat Oct 22 2016, 11:38am
I used some sharp knives. The plastic is rather soft so that works fine. I put a screw in the middle to have something to grab and avoid the piece of plastic falling in. If it had dropped in I could have used a magnet to get it out....
One thing that surprised me is that with the sensor "activated" in the bsi but not connected there is no error message. When I plug the sensor in there is and when I place it in a cup of water the message disappears....
furriegurrie   
Sat Oct 22 2016, 03:25pm
I want to once again say thanks to vaho for making this guide. I'm very happy this is now implemented on my car. I used to have the central screen on the trip mode with the 2 temp sensors and the tpms system visible. Now that should no longer be needed and I can have any screen there!
ceesix   
Mon Oct 24 2016, 07:28pm
Member No: #1464
Completed my installation yesterday.Had initial. Trouble fitting the smallest signal plug. This was replaced. You really need to check that you can see the silver of the plug at the connector mating face. Also you do need to enable it through LEXIA. It now works - brilliant thanks so much Vaho.
nouveaucitroenist   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 05:12pm
Member No: #2222
well i've now fitted mine, didn't have too much trouble and enabled it via lexia so it now says the coolant level sensor is present but I'm not getting any messages when I remove the sensor from the water. I've checked the sensor and it provides 5v when wet and 0v when dry so am not sure why no messages are appearing. Any ideas anybody?
vaho   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 05:21pm
I am sorry to hear that, I think you just had to have made some minor mistake somewhere, I'm of course can not know where. Suggest you check all the connections, wires and Lexia setup one more time.
nouveaucitroenist   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 05:33pm
vaho wrote ...

I am sorry to hear that, I think you just had to have made some minor mistake somewhere, I'm of course can not know where. Suggest you check all the connections, wires and Lexia setup one more time.

I was pondering on the operation and concluded that if the BSI is looking for 5V on the connector and isn't getting it because of a dodgy connection I should get the Coolant Level warning shouldn't I? I'll take another look at lexia, but there is only one place to change the sensor to present isn't there? Or Could that be a two stage process and I need to enable it elsewhere also on lexia?
furriegurrie   
Tue Oct 25 2016, 05:53pm
I think there is only one place in Lexia in the bsi menu as vaho described.
The weird or unexpected thing is that if I unplug the sensor there is no message. I expected the circuit to be fail safe in that aspect, no signal from sensor would mean you'd get the warning message. But this is not the case.
vaho   
Wed Oct 26 2016, 05:53am
It is indeed so that if you dont have the sensor (or you have the wiring but no sensor connected - the same thing really) and coolant level option is set to "present" there is no warning message. I have no idea what the control pocedure is, maybe the computer measures the resistance or flow which is there when the sensor is connected or something like that. Yes, you only have to change one thing in Lexia in BSI configuration. Did you press the configuration button also after you changed the option to "present"?
nouveaucitroenist   
Wed Oct 26 2016, 04:32pm
Ok, thanks guys, the sensor is 'present' in lexia so I'll check my connections etc this weekend.
PIT   
Fri Oct 28 2016, 05:19pm
Member No: #2671
Thank you vaho for this tutorial. I was sure that this should be possible and this was in my list of improvements but you did it before me. Thank you again for the help!
Website
nouveaucitroenist   
Sat Oct 29 2016, 01:11pm
Success! I had failed to ensure the connectors in the new plug to the level sensor were pushed home until they clicked....
nouveaucitroenist   
Sat Oct 29 2016, 01:34pm

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club