Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
321dave   
Tue Nov 01 2016, 08:32pm
Member No: #614
vaho wrote ...

Some nice quality plastic:

Hi Vaho, what is your current mileage. Mine is now at 130,500mls and that pipe is on my change list. Probably the original pipe as well, so I guess not to bad for 130,000mls. On other cars would you get the same sort of plastics or quality? This is the oldest car I've owned personally so don't have any other experience so far to judge.
vaho   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 07:14am
Member No: #2228
It is about 152 000 miles (245 000 km). I think the plastic is broken for some time now, probably over a year even. The point where it is broken is where the clamp sits, you can easily run the engine if you move the clamp towards the end of the rubber so it sits ontop of the good section of the plastic connector. I did that and there was no leak and it did not fell off during two days. For peace of mind it must be changed though, which I did of course, it is not expensive also with some 30 euros.

I have owned many cars but the problem with plastic coolant system parts started with Peugeot 607 (2005, 124 000 miles) 2.7 HDI (same engine). I changed the radiator, coolant outlet tank and the round plastic thingy ontop of the engine between EGR cooling pipes. The thermostat housing was already changed by the previous owner. So it may well be that the plastic just isn´t good and lasting enough for this kind of usage.
Tjensen   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 01:52pm
Member No: #954
The coolant expansion tank on the XM was also aweak spot, developed cracks.
321dave   
Wed Nov 02 2016, 06:22pm
Thanks Vaho, piece of mind indeed. It's a pity the coolant system is still largely a concern, but I think replacing the whole circuit is the only way forward. As far as I can see, nearly all of my pipes replaced so far have had little leaks or cracks.

e3steve   
Thu Nov 03 2016, 07:02am
Member No: #1163
321dave wrote ...

Thanks Vaho, piece of mind indeed. It's a pity the coolant system is still largely a concern, but I think replacing the whole circuit is the only way forward. As far as I can see, nearly all of my pipes replaced so far have had little leaks or cracks.

Mine too, dave...
321dave   
Tue Nov 08 2016, 12:51pm
Hi all,
parts specific to the C6 2.7 engine installation are getting very hard to source now. I heard back from my garage who are trying to get the plastic intercooler pipe that currently 114 people in france are waiting as well for the same pipe, and a few in england now to. The pipe is classified as a restricted part, C2 category i think!

Got me thinking, what other type of tube/part could be fitted in case they aren't manufacturing the part anymore?
Its a pity parts are now getting hard to source. I'm aware of 2 parts that are no longer available to buy as well.
gmerry   
Tue Nov 08 2016, 01:54pm
Member No: #21
Hi Dave, remember that some of the Landrover/ Jaguar parts are similar where they connect to the engine or common ancillaries. Sometimes these can be cannibalised.

Also, it you are deleting the EGR valves, the cooling pipework to/from the EGR coolers can be simplified quite a bit.

regards
G

PS, frankly some of the parts can be replaced by better quality ones made from scratch: I'm thinking here of the vacuum tubing harness.
321dave   
Tue Nov 08 2016, 02:05pm
Hi G, thats very true. I was thinking about the design of the intercooloer air pipe, or (distrib chamber side air union) i guess its a rigid plastic pipe due to the turbo air pressure and needs to be fixed in place or it would move around under boost pressure. I'm working on an idea of using the newer 3.0 hdi pipe with the correct seals and at the last part diverting it into the old shape near the intercooler connection.

wrote ...
PS, frankly some of the parts can be replaced by better quality ones made from scratch: I'm thinking here of the vacuum tubing harness.

I agree, the quality of parts could be better for sure.
321dave   
Tue Nov 08 2016, 02:47pm
321dave wrote ...

Hi G, thats very true. I was thinking about the design of the intercooloer air pipe, or (distrib chamber side air union) i guess its a rigid plastic pipe due to the turbo air pressure and needs to be fixed in place or it would move around under boost pressure. I'm working on an idea of using the newer 3.0 hdi pipe with the correct seals and at the last part diverting it into the old shape near the intercooler connection.

[/quote1478613606]

I agree, the quality of parts could be better for sure.

gmerry   
Tue Nov 08 2016, 04:31pm
Time to invest in a plastic welding kit?

regards
vaho   
Mon Nov 14 2016, 11:13am
Member No: #2228
Yestarday received the seals of the throttle housing, two rubber rings. Don´t know if it was me of removing the throttle housing several times but the seals were torn. They also were hard as plastic and a bit deformed. They cost some 6 euros a piece so next time somebody removes the throttle housing check them out and replace if necessary. Part no 163622 (No 4 on the previous post by Dave).

321dave   
Wed Nov 16 2016, 02:23pm
I received the new intercooler pipe yesterday. It became available last week. Many thanks to Phil for his kind offer. Im now thinking there is a bit to much oil in the intercooler pipe, because the crack in the pipe is allowing a couple of drops of oil to drip to the ground and the pipe has a slick of oil down one side? wonder how much oil is currently residing inside the intercooler itself.
gmerry   
Wed Nov 16 2016, 03:17pm
Hi Dave, your comments on the oil leakage also apply to me. The non-drive end of the engine is pretty oily and I'm pressure sure its coming from the air induction pipe (from intercooler to throttle body).

I have a wild idea that the source of the oil may actually be the vacuum pump. Has anyone had this apart or had to replace it? You do know there is an oil drain from the vacuum pump back down to the rear turbo charger?

regards
G

cruiserphil   
Wed Nov 16 2016, 09:04pm

Member No: #38
321/G,

I've experienced the oil in this pipe on both 2.7's but it doesn't appear to cause problems (haven't needed to open it on the 3.0 yet!). Indeed, this was evident also in both a 2.1 XM and Xantia we owned which went on to 200,000 plus miles and finished their days with subsequent owners without engine issues.

Best regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Wed Nov 16 2016, 09:32pm
Hi Phil, my "concern" over the oil leaking is down to the visible drip I occasionally get on my driveway but more importantly, the possibility that the excessive oil in the vacuum pump (if I'm correct) might make its way to the brake booster (and that does create some very serious problems).

regards
G
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club