C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Low air flow problem

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
vaho   
Sat Oct 22 2016, 08:24pm
Member No: #2228
Update. I did a bad thing and indeed bought some blanking plates from ebay and just blanked the EGR valves. This of course causes a fault code in Lexia - amount of air mesured higher than the setting, but no warning messages on the dashboard. I had to remove the EGR throttle butterfly flap also because it restricted the airflow. When ECU orders EGR-s to open, it practically closes the butterfly and since no air is coming from EGR tubes, there is an air starvation. Overall I am happy, the engine sounds better, throttle response improved even further. Have driven some 200-300 km with it, no issues.
I think I got away without warning light because I have (semi)functional EGR valves and as long as they are working I am good. The airflow higher than the setting itself doesn't apparently cause the warning to light up. Any issue with EGR itself lights up the MIL though.
321dave   
Thu Oct 27 2016, 04:43am
Member No: #614
It seems this air intake pipe from the Intercooler to the throttle body is very hard to source now! I'm still waiting for 4 weeks so far and no sign. It's also very expensive at nearly €200.
My main problem is sealing, as I can hear air passing at the collar/clip area at higher revs. It appears the rubber seal at the top of the pipe doesn't fit very well any more into the air resonator/connector. I was hoping I had fitted it back Wrong but it appears ok, but the plastic is going very brittle now, hence the crack.

Also no secondhand pipes appear to be available.

furriegurrie   
Thu Oct 27 2016, 04:54am
Member No: #2448
What is the part number for this?
321dave   
Thu Oct 27 2016, 04:56am
321dave wrote ...

It seems this air intake pipe from the Intercooler to the throttle body is very hard to source now! I'm still waiting for 4 weeks so far and no sign. It's also very expensive at nearly €200.
My main problem is sealing, as I can hear air passing at the collar/clip area at higher revs. It appears the rubber seal at the top of the pipe doesn't fit very well any more into the air resonator/connector. I was hoping I had fitted it back Wrong but it appears ok, but the plastic is going very brittle now, hence the crack.

Also no secondhand pipes appear to be available.

gmerry   
Thu Oct 27 2016, 10:19am
Member No: #21
Hi Dave, you really are going through a battle with hoses and plumbing.

It must be about time for a lucky break.

Best regards
G
vaho   
Thu Oct 27 2016, 10:35am
The part number is 0384J2. I will be changing the thermostat housing today when the weather improves so I can inspect that pipe also. Thanks.
Got a message about the coolant level and the leak search indicated a little bit of steam coming from the thermostat housing area. When I removed the butterfly housing last week I also did a routine check of the thermostat housing but discovered no apparent cracks or something else wrong with it, so it is interesting what I discover after I remove the housing.
321dave   
Thu Oct 27 2016, 12:47pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hi Dave, you really are going through a battle with hoses and plumbing.

It must be about time for a lucky break.

Best regards
G

Thanks G,
Christmas will mark a great improvement in the engine department. For some reason most of the plastics are sort of cooked in my engine bay. But I have six new pipes to go in soon, and I have the Jaguar swirl valves now on the list as well (thanks to Vaho) The list is getting fairly big now. But it all keeps the big Citroen rolling.

cruiserphil   
Sat Oct 29 2016, 09:04am

Member No: #38
321Dave,

I have a brand new pipe if you want it in the meantime? You can sort me out when you get yours!

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Sat Oct 29 2016, 12:12pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

321Dave,

I have a brand new pipe if you want it in the meantime? You can sort me out when you get yours!

Best regards,

Phil C.

Thanks very much Phil, hopefully the Citroen garage can find one this week. If not I might take you up on the offer. ! But I'm sad to say as I'm buying a lot of parts recently to restore my C6, a lot of bits are getting very hard to source for the garages now.
321dave   
Sat Oct 29 2016, 04:39pm
vaho wrote ...

The part number is 0384J2. I will be changing the thermostat housing today when the weather improves so I can inspect that pipe also. Thanks.
Got a message about the coolant level and the leak search indicated a little bit of steam coming from the thermostat housing area. When I removed the butterfly housing last week I also did a routine check of the thermostat housing but discovered no apparent cracks or something else wrong with it, so it is interesting what I discover after I remove the housing.

Thanks Vaho for the parts number. Any luck with your checking the pipes condition, I also found the rubber seal at the top of the pipe wasn't sealing well idir. The clip seems to crumple the seal, and then it doesn't seal. Is that the same for others I wonder? I know the pipe comes with two seals.
vaho   
Mon Oct 31 2016, 06:57am
My pipe was absolutely fine and so were the seals.
Did the thermostat housing and actually there is no need to remove some of the parts pointed out in the other thread with instructions. I did not remove the airpipe, EGR tubes, vacuum lines and fuel lines. It is possible just to push them aside. Sure it is easier when they are out of the way but the housing swap is perfectly duable without removing these parts.
The change itself went not so good though. One of the four bolts just broke. Had to drill it out, not so pleasant job in 5 degrees, low light and constant drizzle but i had no other choice.
On top of all it turned out that the housing was perfectly ok, the production date stamp indicated that it had been changed some 5 years ago. The culprit was the plastic connection of one of the pipes, the rear one with part no. 1351LL (see picture). Managed to seal it for now until I receive the new pipe. One more thing, it is wise to change the seal that goes onto the oil/fuel heat exchanger pipe that connects with the housing. The old O-ring was squared and the new was round. The part no. is 198171 and it costed me 9 €.
That is the pipe connection that failed. Had i known that it would spare me the cost of new housing and lot of work of drilling and so on:

e3steve   
Mon Oct 31 2016, 07:50am
Member No: #1163
At least you had to drill out only the one; imagine it, a year or two down the line, and having more to drill out.

Also you now have the peace of mind that it won't need doing for for a few years; because if it were to split open on a longish trip, it wouldn't take very long, of driving it with an elevated block/head temperature, in order to screw the entire engine!

At least you have a low-coolant warning, which is considerably more than member 'Chevrons' or I had. I was lucky; my engine survived, as I received a high oil temp warning -- Chevrons' engine was totalled...
321dave   
Mon Oct 31 2016, 01:20pm
e3steve wrote ...

At least you had to drill out only the one; imagine it, a year or two down the line, and having more to drill out.

Also you now have the peace of mind that it won't need doing for for a few years; because if it were to split open on a longish trip, it wouldn't take very long, of driving it with an elevated block/head temperature, in order to screw the entire engine!

At least you have a low-coolant warning, which is considerably more than member 'Chevrons' or I had. I was lucky; my engine survived, as I received a high oil temp warning -- Chevrons' engine was totalled...

Hi Vaho, that's good news on the intecooler pipe, not so pleasant on the outlet housing side. I've done this job myself and fitted a new housing a few months back, but the old one I was guessing was changed as well by the previous owners. Did you find a date stamp on the old unit or have a way of deducing the age from a code you found? I bought the two tanks again, and have them put away. What's the average age of a 2.7 outlet and inlet tank before they let go? 60,000mls?
vaho   
Mon Oct 31 2016, 07:12pm
Yes, it helped a lot to have a low coolant warning. There was no coolant loss during the 2 000 km journey home from Germany and after that I checked the level periodically also. So it's a new thing and the leak increased during last month or so.
I found the round stamp with numbers and arrow on the old tank. There were numbers from 03 to 09 and the arrow is pointing between 09 and 03, so i figured since it can not be 2002 or 2003 it must be 2010. It can only be a production date and I have no idea when it was actually changed, presumably after that, that's why I don't know the milage also. The tank is absolutely fine though, when I cleaned it up it looked no different than the new one, including the seals. This is the stamp:

vaho   
Tue Nov 01 2016, 05:41pm
Some nice quality plastic:

Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club