Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 2.7 -- Radiator removal possible in situ, or not ?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Mon Oct 10 2016, 03:53pm
Member No: #2793
Predictably my job with the new toy is growing and growing. Changing the oil pump, so I reckon there must be four vertical bolts accessed only with the sump off. Can't get the sump off because the FWE bolts won't pass the front downpipe. Accessing the downpipe connection to the turbo looks pretty naff with the radiator in place, so decided to remove it.

There is a good secondary reason for that however, in that engine oil is making its way through the radiator into the engine bay, which makes me suspect the intercooler may be shot.

Simple question is, has anyone successfully removed the rad by itself, or does it have to come out in its frame ? As far as I can see, there simply isn't room to tilt it in at enough of an angle to withdraw it. If it does have to come out complete, is it possible to detach the black plastic closing panel that carries the bonnet latch handle, or is it a complete bumper off job ?

Why oh why didn't they make the top rad rail detachable ?????!!!!!!!!

Mike.
cruiserphil   
Mon Oct 10 2016, 04:17pm

Member No: #38
Hello Mike,
Yes, I have changed the radiator. You do remove the trim but don't need to remove the latch. The radiator when released has enough room to tilt back and be easily pulled out. However you do need to remove the front bumper to access an elusive lower bolt on the non driver's side, otherwise you won't get the radiator out. Check up on previous posts where I supplied a photo of this bolt location. Also check the documents section for the radiator removal procedure. The bumper removal I found quite straightforward and nothing to be afraid of.
Best regards,
Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club