Help! Suspension stuck in low :-(

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gbl   
Wed Oct 12 2016, 04:38pm
Member No: #936
robingc33 wrote ...

Does anyone know anything about this pipe please?

Yes, I do. See my post here:
- Click Here -
robingc33   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 08:19am
Member No: #2303
Thanks.

I want to replace the LDS tank with the new, latest model whilst sorting out the pump.

Does anyone know it's part number please or if I'll automatically get the newer version with pressure relief valve by default if I order one for my 2006 car, or do I have to specify it specially???

From talking to Duff Morgan it seems like there is a different part no. from 2009-2010, but otherwise the same/default part no.for earlier and later cars????

Thanks,
Robin
robingc33   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 08:38am
Thanks gbl re that pipe - v useful to know - I'll check but think mine is the same as yours.
Robin
321dave   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 09:11am
Member No: #614
Hi Robin,
I see 3 types depending on your RPO number are listed by Citroen. I'd just ask your local garage for the latest model of the tank with the new type cap. Just wondering did your LDS come out of the cap or was the cap removed first. With the new type cap, the fluid will come out the top even with the cap on the tank fully (this was a redesign to stop the tanks splitting or exploding in the case of some garages who forgot to remove the cap when putting the car on a lift.

I'd say ask for the latest tank. That's what I fitted a few months ago and all is good.
robingc33   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 09:59am
Thanks Dave.
I fitted a new cap recently and all the fluid came out of its breather hole.

So maybe I've misunderstood and it's just the cap that's changed over time, not the tank itself?
But I'd like a new tank anyway; I don't totally trust the existing one! ..and at only £40 extra it's probably a no-brainer whilst replacing the pump
321dave   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 12:59pm
Member No: #614
Hi Robin,
I understand. Me to. I don't think a lot of let's say the engine related plastics (anything) are very good. I have replaced nearly everything in the engine bay at this stage and I'm down to 4 coolant pipes. Have two in the shed and 2 on the way. Every time I replace a pipe the leak moves on to one of last remaining pipes and finds some way to leak out. But I'm nearly finished now. And with the level sensor on order I'll have that extra piece of mind as well.
eke   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 03:24pm
Member No: #624
This is in Finnish, but here is guide made by a guy, who has cleaned the electric pump in V6 C5 after it had started to blow 40 A fuses. I have cleaned the pump in my C6 following this guide. Maybe it is worth to try.
- Click Here -
gmerry   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 03:38pm
Member No: #21
Eke, great post. Using Google Translate, I got the gist that the pump motor was full of carbon dust/oil and that by cleaning all this out with brake cleaner and compressed air, it's possible to rejuvenate a motor that keeps blowing 40Amp fuses back to good working service.

thanks again
G
Cisco   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 03:54pm
Member No: #1429
Yeah, Eke brilliant post. Definately worth trying this before blowing £1k on a new pump.

Pretty good idea to do this as preventative maintenance too
robingc33   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 04:21pm
I know what you mean about engine-related plastics Dave; I think I'm developing a paranoia; I've had the inlet and outlet chambers and aeriation chamber renewed and am looking at any other plastic parts with suspicion. All fine if you only keep the car for the first three years, but not at all inspiring in the long term.

Thanks also for the detailed info Eke - very interesting, but judging by the smoke that was coming out of my pump motor yesterday I don't feel like trusting it - or the pump itself - and still don't really understand why the design is so fragile that this should happen at 55k miles - even if I did "illegally" let the suspension settle in "Low" mode onto a 100mm high jack under the front offside jacking point.

I also don't understand the physics of why the system apparently totally depressurised itself at that point and simultaneously blew the pump motor; the car had been totally OK thus far with no sign of any pump problems.

But maybe it was just the straw (shock) that broke the camel's back and was on it's way out anyway!? Pump motors seems to be another C6 weak point.

Robin

eke   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 05:21pm
Member No: #624
gmerry wrote ...

Eke, great post. Using Google Translate, I got the gist that the pump motor was full of carbon dust/oil and that by cleaning all this out with brake cleaner and compressed air, it's possible to rejuvenate a motor that keeps blowing 40Amp fuses back to good working service.

thanks again
G

Yes, that is the idea pretty much. I didn't remove the headlight in C6. Also there is the third nut of the Lds-tank in wheel housing behind some tubes etc., which was very tricky to remove. Otherwise like in the guide of the link. Also worth checking the brushes of the motor at the same time.
David Hallworth   
Sat Oct 15 2016, 11:47pm

Member No: #90
Citroen Glasgow recently replaced the pump on my 3.0 HDi C5 as they suspected it was leaking LDS. As it's an aftermarket warranty on the car I requested to keep the old pump as there was a good motor on it and they obliged.

It didn't cure the leak and it turned out that it was the low pressure LDS pipes around the pump that were leaking so I've got a perfectly good spare pump in the boot of the C5.

The only problem is the C5 is back in Citroen Glasgow after nearly a month there previously to replace an EGR valve because the same fault has returned again.

David.
robingc33   
Sun Oct 16 2016, 07:55pm
Thanks David, but I've decided to bite the bullet and get my local Citroen garage to sort it; they've done several C6 jobs already and have people still around with "hydraulic" skills/experience from many years back.
A few years back I'd have happily done it myself but, as they say, now I'm retired I haven't got time
Robin
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club