Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

2.7 Hdi C6 Flywheel Locking Pin mod needed.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
onthecut   
Mon Oct 10 2016, 08:19am
Member No: #2793
Just a quick post as I'm getting stuck in -- or should that be just getting stuck !

Knowing I was going to be doing the belts, I bought a 'Franklin' manufacture locking pin kit. I just managed to access the locking pin aperture by loosening the LH downpipe clamp, moving it round and squeezing my arm up through the gap. Very tight, very uncomfortable.

For reference, if like me you are a first timer looking for the aperture, it's below the level of the RH driveshaft pretty much in the corner of the crankcase. It has a plastic bung fitted, which is a job in itself to remove as the graspable part of it is very thin and flimsy.

When I came to install the locking pin, I just couldn't get it to enter the aperture squarely. After several attempts, I realised a slight projection on the outer face of the crankcase was just holding the tool out a fraction (effectively, the tool was too long). So -- back out with it and I ground off a wedge from the outer end (abt. 30 deg. to a depth of 3 - 4mm. Retried and hey presto -- straight in.

Also for reference, if you're doing it first time, be aware that as you approach the relevant locking hole in the flexplate, the pin will engage a couple of other openings on the way. Obviously the position of the cams will give you a clue if you're at the right spot, but if you don't want to be up and down looking at them, the other difference is that in the incorrect slots, there is perceptible movement possible in the reverse direction. In the actual locking position it holds it pretty solid. Also, which is good, it's pretty unambiguous when it clicks in.

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club