C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

auto gear box oil change

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
alanr7   
Sat Oct 08 2016, 08:30pm
Member No: #304
hi can anybody tell me the size of the torx on the oil filler cap on top of the gear box many thanks alan
e3steve   
Sun Oct 09 2016, 10:18am
Member No: #1163
alanr7 wrote ...

hi can anybody tell me the size of the torx on the oil filler cap on top of the gear box many thanks alan
I seem to recall that it's a 45 or 50, Alan.
vaho   
Sun Oct 09 2016, 11:37am
Member No: #2228
Oil filler on top of the box is 55. Big one and very tight.
321dave   
Sun Oct 09 2016, 04:51pm
Member No: #614
vaho wrote ...

Hi Vaho,
one task I have yet to do myself is change out the gearbox oil. I always remember reading in one of the technical docs in the forum that the drain plug and level plug always need new seals fitting after opening and draining. Did anybody do that or does it matter.

A colleague at work said he never changed anything till it was necessary . So I didn't change the seal on the top of hydraulic strut. Where the pipe connects to the system. Not great advice as a week or so later it started to leak. It's still leaking a little now. The seal is yellow and a small o ring. It's €13. But it would of been the perfect job if I had changed it for new. The technical PDF in this case was right.
vaho   
Sun Oct 09 2016, 05:59pm
Member No: #2228
Hi Dave. I have actually done many oilchanges in my previous Peugeot 607 with AM6 gearbox and to be honest I never changed any seals. Now I changed oil in my C6 and also didn't change no seals. Never experienced any leaks. So I dont know, I know that official docs require seals to be changed but as it always is, when I have time and opportunity to do the work, I have no seals present.
gmerry   
Sun Oct 09 2016, 07:07pm
Member No: #21
Hi Dave, the seals for the filler and drain plugs are soft metal washers: probably reuseable but these will work harden so preferable to replace. The inner level setting screw has a soft rubber O ring and should definitely be replaced. If you check out a very old post of mine, I listed the Citroen part numbers and alternatives if you can't get the Citroen parts. Either way its pennies.
321dave   
Sun Oct 09 2016, 10:16pm
Member No: #614
Hi Vaho and G, I know it's difficult always to have everything available at the time of a repair particularly if it's an emergency repair, I have one seal and will need to get the other bits on order soon. Many thanks G for the codes.
I'm guessing the rebuild gear box in the car is around 30000mls now (has a new solenoid block in from the previous owner), so probably not a bad idea to change the oil out soon. But it's not a total priory just yet as it's driving perfect at the moment, but that could change fast and will do eventually. But still the new for old coolant pipes is a must do job straight away as its still leaking!
e3steve   
Mon Oct 10 2016, 03:32am
Member No: #1163
vaho wrote ...

Thanks Vaho. Same as the screw heads on the front brake calipers; of course...

Sorry Alan!

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club