C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

CV Boots

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
MikeH   
Fri Oct 07 2016, 06:35pm
Member No: #1555
Has anyone experience of replacing an inner CV boot? I have a small nick in one and am preparing myself for what I think will be a long and arduous task.
cruiserphil   
Fri Oct 07 2016, 07:32pm

Member No: #38
Hello Mike,

Presumably you mean the inner boot over the intermediate joint on the long shaft? Haven't done a C6 but did one on an XM, which looks the same. Surprisingly, once you get the shaft out, the boot is the only thing holding the joint together. So no drama trying to get a CV joint off the shaft. I would rank an outer CV more difficult! Best of luck with the job,

Phil C.

e3steve   
Sun Oct 09 2016, 10:16am
Member No: #1163
The l/h one just pulls apart, once the gaiter clips/ty-wraps are removed. The r/h one is a bit more work, but not difficult.

Obviously once the hubs have been disconnected!
josok   
Fri Mar 31 2017, 09:37pm
Member No: #1222
And in my case i am trying to replace a leaking right outer cv gater. First once i had the new part in my hand, i realised that there is something more involved than just slipping it over. The new part seems to be some pretty stiff plastic type of material. No way it can persuaded over the cv.
Has somebody done this? Has the cv to be separated from the drive shaft? How to remove the drive shaft assembly from the gearbox?

Groetjes,
Jos
josok   
Sat Apr 01 2017, 06:27pm
Member No: #1222
Update: Got it done. The shaft assembly can be removed after loosening the gater around the inner cv. That cv separates by just pulling. After that, on the workbench a securing clip on the inner end of the shaft can be removed after which the T can be knocked off. Then it's dead easy to slide the new outside gater on. It's a shame that i did not think of taking pictures, sorry.
Groetjes,
Jos

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club