C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

c6 2.7 auto gear box oil change

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Sun Oct 16 2016, 08:32pm
Member No: #21
Mike, remove the drain plug (the one with the internal 17mm hex) and you will see that its actually a tube that acts as an internal weir and this sets the level when the inner screw is removed. I replaced the torx headed inner screw with a metric fine capscrew as less chance of rounding off.

Make sure you follow Citroen's instructions for setting the level TO THE LETTER including getting the fluid up to the prescribed temperature and from memory it has to be done with the engine idling, with a drip drip of fluid.

The oil filter is courtesy of Ford and PSA as part of their joint engine development programme. Personally I change the oil every 6 months which works out every 4k miles at the moment and that is about right IMHO for a diesel. If I was doing 16k per year I would still change every 6months.

regards
e3steve   
Sun Oct 16 2016, 10:16pm
Member No: #1163
onthecut wrote ...

Bit confused though --- how does it set a level when it's on the bottom. Is there an internal reservoir that the fluid overtops ?....
Mike, the level (centre) screw is at the bottom of a tubular drain plug; said tube acts as a weir, allowing the excess fluid to drain out and set its level before the centre screw gets replaced.
onthecut   
Mon Oct 17 2016, 07:13am
Member No: #2793
Thanks for the explanation guys. Simple when you know

Didn't realise until I had a look online just how many cars use this gearbox; at least if it all goes horribly wrong there should be no problem getting a fix. Don't like the fact there's no accessible or cleanable filter you can service.

Mike.
gbl   
Tue Oct 18 2016, 09:53am
Member No: #936
onthecut wrote ...

Didn't realise until I had a look online just how many cars use this gearbox;

Indeed. For instance in the US there must be an absolutely enormous number of Toyotas with this type of Aisin Warner gearbox. Probably explains why Mobil ATF 3309 can be found as low as around $6 per quart in the US....
gmerry   
Tue Oct 18 2016, 10:47am
Member No: #21
Hi Mike, the most common problem with the AM6 (Aisin Warner transmission) as fitted to the C6 is wear and mal-operation of hydraulic solenoids. Luckily this can be rectified as an entire swop/change of the hydraulic control module.

But don't infer from the very large number of vehicles fitted with this transmission that all the parts are inter-changeable. There are some very large differences in packaging (how the major parts fit and the external shape of the transmission) and customisation of ratios, shift points and of course, software.

So you will need correct and specific parts and/or service in the event that any is needed. If you search on this forum, you can find which suppliers can offer essentially trade priced AM6 parts specific for this application.

regards
G
robingc33   
Tue Oct 18 2016, 06:51pm
Member No: #2303
A module swop certainly cured my jerky downshifts and can be done in-situ by removal of the gearbox front cover and moving of one pipe to gain access. If needed and within reach I absolutely recommend Stephens Engineering of Thunderidge near Ware who swopped mine within 24hrs.
Robin
onthecut   
Wed Oct 19 2016, 08:03am
Member No: #2793
That's all great info.

Will find out son if mine is good, bad or indifferent.

Mike.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club