C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

c6 2.7 auto gear box oil change

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
alanr7   
Fri Oct 07 2016, 06:03pm
Member No: #304
Hi can you tell me is there a oil filter in the auto gear box, i am looking at changing the oil any tips would be welcome many thanks Alan
cruiserphil   
Fri Oct 07 2016, 07:01pm

Member No: #38
No Alan.

All you can change is the oil and that''s partial because you can't drain the converter..Roighly the box holds 7 litres but you only get 3 litres on a drain. As you've probably seen in the forum, that's the reason for several flushes (I.e drain/fill). If it's your first go, take out the air filter housing to familiarise yourself with the filler plug location. But as I said In another post, once familiar you should be able to devise a way to remove the filler without removing the air filter housing. This is great for a series of drain and fill operations. Just be careful also of the torx level screw in the centre of the drain plug. This can be very tight, so be careful not to wring the torx head.

Best regards,

Phil C.
e3steve   
Sun Oct 09 2016, 10:09am
Member No: #1163
cruiserphil wrote ...

No Alan.

All you can change is the oil and that''s partial because you can't drain the converter..Roighly the box holds 7 litres but you only get 3 litres on a drain.

Best regards,

Phil C.
UPDATE ON THIS ONE:

From a Citroën tech, now an 'independent' - drain the 'box then run the engine, moving the shift lever through R - N - D - N -R a few times; it pumps the bulk of the fluid out.

He's been doing this for years and takes care of several C5 autos and a few C6s. No ill-effects!

I'd be interested in B&L's take on the procedure...
David Hallworth   
Tue Oct 11 2016, 10:35pm

Member No: #90
Yikes, he's a braver man then me, I wouldn't fancy running it after having drained the oil out of the sump!

David.
gmerry   
Wed Oct 12 2016, 09:18am
Member No: #21
Hi E3steve, good tip on pumping out the torque convertor. I guess this is done with the wheels off so that there is no reaction torque on the unlubed transmission. Are we talking running like this for 30 secs, a minute, 2 or 3 minutes max? Any chance of asking the guy?

I guess it pays to be very careful setting the level after doing this but the advantage of clearing out the old lube, must on balance make this a good procedure.

thanks
G

e3steve   
Thu Oct 13 2016, 10:46pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hi E3steve, good tip on pumping out the torque convertor. I guess this is done with the wheels off so that there is no reaction torque on the unlubed transmission. Are we talking running like this for 30 secs, a minute, 2 or 3 minutes max? Any chance of asking the guy?

I guess it pays to be very careful setting the level after doing this but the advantage of clearing out the old lube, must on balance make this a good procedure.

thanks
G

When I asked Andy about his method he said to just run the engine "for a few minutes" and until the draining fluid slows to a trickle; switch off and allow the trickle to cease. This they do with the car on a two-post lift and drain into a telescopic, wheel-about oil catcher.

The trans must, of course, be up-to-temp...
onthecut   
Fri Oct 14 2016, 07:27am
Member No: #2793
Going to be doing this myself while I have the new toy in bits and jacked up. First really simple question -- which fluid to use ?

Can't say I would much fancy pumping it dry. Any autobox I've looked in has always been a seriously precision made bit of kit and since you don't really know which bits will be relatively dry internally first, you might be running something for nearly the whole exercise with no lube. I'll bet the method doesn't appear in the box makers manual.

I have another auto (GM gearbox) and I do a drain each oil change with that, which seems to work fine. That too only drops about three litres, but comes out looking as much like Ribena as the new stuff going in. Going to be curious to see what the fluid is like in the new toy. Last had an Aisin Warner box in the old Opel Monza and that was a lovely bit of kit.

Mike.
gbl   
Fri Oct 14 2016, 08:35am
Member No: #936
onthecut wrote ...

Going to be doing this myself while I have the new toy in bits and jacked up. First really simple question -- which fluid to use ?

For the 2.7 HDi, look for an ATF meeting the JWS 3309 specification. Or the Toyota T-IV specification. Lots of options available.
e3steve   
Fri Oct 14 2016, 08:58am
I use Comma ASW...
gmerry   
Fri Oct 14 2016, 02:16pm
GBL, just be careful with your choice of lube.

In the UK we have lots of auto lubricants for sale, many of them of US origin, that claim "to exceed the requirements of JWS3309". The problem being that the friction modifier package is the key functional requirement and you only get this if you buy "JWS3309" fluid. Since this specification was/is developed between Esso and Aisin, and is NOT an open specification, you really have to buy Esso or Aisin products. OK, Mobil and Comma are Esso brands so these are in effect the same thing.

This is not jus theory, I've tried this particular experiment.

regards
G
gbl   
Fri Oct 14 2016, 08:21pm
Member No: #936
gmerry wrote ...

GBL, just be careful with your choice of lube.

I am indeed being careful. That's why I recommended to look for products meeting JWS 3309 or Toyota T-IV. I agree with you to be wary of the potential risks of "exceeds" claims.
Mobil ATF 3309 has worked well for me in the C6 gearbox.
gmerry   
Fri Oct 14 2016, 08:59pm
Mobil is an Exxon (Esso) "brand" so you should be good, regards G

PS, after the takeover of Mobil by Exxon in 1999, there was a few years when the corporation was known as ExxonMobil but this fell away to become just Exxon. But yes, Mobil 3309 will be the proper stuff.
onthecut   
Sun Oct 16 2016, 04:51pm
Just drained the box; depressing on two counts -- first, the fluid is closer to molasses than Ribena and second, only got a litre out. I suspect a driveshaft may have been out in the past and I wonder if they lost fluid which wasn't replaced ?

Refill in abeyance as I've found the inner joint on the LH driveshaft is pretty shot, so may as well do that while I'm grovelling.

One small point worth noting; on my box at least the drain plug had a small O ring fitted, which had almost worked itself off to the top of the plug thread. If I hadn't seen it, or it had been left lopsided in the aperture I likely would have fitted the plug back bare and I guess had a subsequent leak.

Mike.
gmerry   
Sun Oct 16 2016, 05:54pm
Hi Mike, the LH driveshaft can be removed (say for replacement of the wishbone) without spilling a drop of gearbox ATF. The O ring needs to be replaced at every gearbox drain/fill/level check.

I'd make sure that there are no ATF leaks, if not it must have been very poor earlier maintenance.

regards
G

PS, what you call the "drain plug" is the level setting screw. Did you remove the large plug which has an internal 17mm hex (AF). Then you should get 2.5 to 2.8 litres.

onthecut   
Sun Oct 16 2016, 07:06pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hi Mike, the LH driveshaft can be removed (say for replacement of the wishbone) without spilling a drop of gearbox ATF. The O ring needs to be replaced at every gearbox drain/fill/level check.

I'd make sure that there are no ATF leaks, if not it must have been very poor earlier maintenance.

regards
G

PS, what you call the "drain plug" is the level setting screw. Did you remove the large plug which has an internal 17mm hex (AF). Then you should get 2.5 to 2.8 litres.

Aha ! That's great. No I didn't. Further look tomorrow.

Bit confused though --- how does it set a level when it's on the bottom. Is there an internal reservoir that the fluid overtops ? The box and surroundings are bone dry with the exception of a slight weep at the LH drive shaft output. I suspect the wonky inner joint is seeing off the seal.

As it happens, the car has come with a sheaf of genuine Citroen servicing bills, some for pretty eye watering amounts, right up to a couple of years ago. I think it's had appropriate maintenance all its life. That said, the engine oil was pretty black, but I suppose notionally it has some ludicrously long service interval.

Quite interesting that the oil filter is three or four times the size of the 2.0 Hdi item. I wonder if that's courtesy of Ford, or just so they can bump up the service interval. Also impressed with the fuel filter -- big and simple.

Thanks, Mike.

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club