Heater issue

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Chester   
Tue Jan 05 2016, 05:45pm
Member No: #2287
Hi there everyone!

Today I seemed to have stumbled upon another little fault with my C6 (2007, 2.7). As it's the winter, I have the heater on on the way to work to warm the car up, usually works with no issues.

However, the last couple of days, I've noticed that regardless of what temperature setting I choose for the driver's side, the fans just blow out cold air. The passengers side works absolutely fine and is still heating as normal, but my side is just blowing out cold, even when the temperature is set to MAX.

Has anybody come across this issue before? I've literally only just had the car back from its service at Citroen (it was working fine before this) and they didn't spot it on the health check.
gmerry   
Tue Jan 05 2016, 06:24pm
Member No: #21
Hi C6Chester, this is well covered on the forum (by E3steve and others such as Stonehaven Jim)

Cheers
G
C6Chester   
Tue Jan 05 2016, 07:23pm
gmerry wrote ...

Hi C6Chester, this is well covered on the forum (by E3steve and others such as Stonehaven Jim)

Cheers
G

I did have a search of the forum to try and find a similar thread without much luck, could you point me in the right direction?
e3steve   
Tue Jan 05 2016, 08:08pm
Member No: #1163
C6Chester wrote ...

gmerry wrote ...

Cheers
G

I did have a search of the forum to try and find a similar thread without much luck, could you point me in the right direction?
Temperature control air flap has most likely disintegrated... "Oh, they all do that, sir..."
C6Chester   
Tue Jan 05 2016, 08:15pm
e3steve wrote ...

C6Chester wrote ...

gmerry wrote ...

Cheers
G

Temperature control air flap has most likely disintegrated... "Oh, they all do that, sir..."

Is this something I can fix myself? If not, what will be the damage to my wallet?
gmerry   
Tue Jan 05 2016, 08:52pm
Member No: #21
Hi C6Chester, try this link which has some good photos of the issue and the repair.

- Click Here -
Regards

G

e3steve   
Tue Jan 05 2016, 10:36pm
Thanks for that link, Gordon! I've copied it and brought it straight to this thread - Click Here -

Looks simple enough, if a bit fiddly and possibly slightly messy, what with waiting for adhesives to cure and all.

I may try to sod about with mine, sometime later this month. I have a fairly extensive collection of holesaws -- 16mm to 152mm -- which, of course, could be used in a gloved hand (if there's not room get my right-angled cordless drill in there). Either that or I'll attack it with the DeWalt vibrasaw.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures...
e3steve   
Tue Jan 05 2016, 10:54pm
Update:

I just followed Gordon's (gmerry) link again and digested JimC's tutorial. Utterly brilliant! Follow - Click Here - to the letter and I reckon we won't go too far wrong!!

The vibrasaw it is then...
C6Chester   
Tue Jan 05 2016, 11:46pm
I can't thank you enough for those links! If it weren't for this forum I would have spent every single penny I have ever earned paying Citroen to fix these problems for me!

Now on to trying to persuade my step-dad to get his tools out and give me a hand getting my car warm again!
C6Chester   
Fri Jan 08 2016, 09:44pm
Bizarrely, today when I took the car out, the driver's side air conditioning was pumping out relatively warm air. It certainly wasn't as hot as it should have been and took a lot longer to reach warm than it did for the passenger side to reach hot. So maybe its not the flap after all.....
e3steve   
Sat Jan 09 2016, 12:14am
Same for mine.

And yes, it will be the flap. It'll have parted from the spindle bit which engages with the stepper motor.

At the moment I get warm air, but never hot. In higher outside temperatures I get cool air, but never actually cold. Passenger side is fine. For now!
Trainman   
Sat Jan 09 2016, 11:19am

Member No: #86
Mine has started this too......... let's hope the weather improves
Leobx16v   
Sat Jan 16 2016, 11:05pm
Member No: #2090
I'm doing mine next Saturday........
Jodyone   
Sun Jan 17 2016, 09:35pm
Member No: #1240
I did mine this weekend... it failed last sunday, and after a few minutes of panic when I thought the car had dumped its coolant, I realised it was just the driver's side. I spent a week with very cold feet and a clear windscreen on the passenger side..! I ordered the new parts on eBay, following gmerry's links. The flaps were in Citroen labelled bags.

I followed Jim's brilliant pictures, and the guide linked in the other thread. I'm afraid I didn't have time to stop and take pictures, but I'll make some notes, in case it helps you guys who have yet to do it.

-You'll be removing an airbag, so it seemed judicious to me to disconnect the battery. Lower windows, etc.

-All the trim below the steering wheel has to come out. It's fiddly, especially the first time. Most screws are small Torx (T20?)

-There are two obvious screws holding the oddments tray on the right, then two more beneath the rubber nubs that the tray closes onto.

-The carpeted trim piece on the left, below the console, has a small hidden screw in front of the frontmost air-vent. I pulled it out unwittingly and the plastic receiver came with it without damage, but could have broken.

-The trim in the door shut, with the airbag disable keyhole, just snaps in place- but the cable is short and must be disengaged. There's a foam rubber piece wedged behind it, not orientation.

-There are a few more torx screws around the bottom edge of the main trim component (with airbag), one hidden under the chrome trim left of the steering wheel (unclips). That whole piece must come out with the airbag: two 10mm bolts hold it on, you must be literally on your back in the footwell looking up to get to them with a socket extension. Step 1: be flexible!! A cushion over the sill helped me out here.

-The cables that still connect to everything are just a bit too short to make disconnection easy. The airbag is attached by one simple connector and another one that must be released by lifting a small yellow plastic piece up first.

-There's an electrical box- some kind of wizard brain, I guess- connected to this same large trim piece, on the right. Don't try to disconnect all the cables individually. The box is attached with two of Europe's Most Annoying Clips, which can either be slid out lengthways (damaging them a little), or prised out, tiny plastic finger by tiny plastic finger. On your back. In the dark. Joy.

-After the airbag piece is out, there's a very tidy snake on the left, attached with two screws, which can be unclipped along its length and removed. Note orientation, etc.

-The bottom servo now accessible is the one we're looking for. Peel back the foam and get to work as per Jim's instructions - Click Here - The servo is held on with what may be 5.5mm hex bolts (!), certainly between 5 and 6, I found an imperial socket that worked fine.

-The new flap only goes in one way so I don't think you need to worry about alignment. Regardless, I marked the angle of the broken flap socket on the casing before I cut. I used a 240V vibratey-blade cutting tool thing. It was too big to fit easily in the confined space, but by constantly refitting the blade at a different angle could just about do it all. I finished it off with half a junior hacksaw blade. Note that the flap's rubber edge rides on a circumferential moulding inside that you may cut through- it's at the bottom. If you cut through it, make sure to reassemble without any burrs, etc.

-I used JB Weld, a tough epoxy with metal or something in it, to glue the cutout back. It needs a good few hours to cure, though, so don't use if you need to do the job in a day. I fitted the cutout in place, and then refitted the servo, to hold alignment while the epoxy cured overnight. This morning I took the motor off to check the flap was rotating smoothly, then reassembled.

-Everything went back together way quicker, because I knew where the fixings were..! Turned everything on, warmed the engine a little, toasty feet! I moved the heating across the full range and it works perfectly now.
e3steve   
Mon Jan 18 2016, 08:44am
Laughing like a drain at some of your comments, Jody (again!)...
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club