Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Super Sticky

Coolant level sensor retrofit solved.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
vaho   
Sat Oct 01 2016, 09:16am
Member No: #2228
Since there is in Lexia a reference to the coolant level sensor I have been investigating retrofitting one. Not to incorporate it with the oil pressure sensor but to connect it directly to the BSI. Well, it is indeed possible. I have just finished retrofitting it on my car. Now a warning message accompanied with the service light appears if the sensor is dry: it s in german but translates "coolant level too low". Happy days!!! No more fears that the car is running out of coolant due to the brilliantly engineered plastic coolant system parts or rusty pipes.

The process is not rocket sience. I will post detailed pdf-file with photos, necessary parts and their numbers in the beginning of the next week when I can use a desktop computer at work.
furriegurrie   
Sat Oct 01 2016, 10:02am
Member No: #2448
Very nice! Been thinking about this too. But haven't done much. One of the things on the list was checking if the older C5 uses a similar expansion tank. As I seem to recall that it looks the same but has a sensor fitted....
321dave   
Sat Oct 01 2016, 10:42am
Member No: #614
furriegurrie wrote ...

Very nice! Been thinking about this too. But haven't done much. One of the things on the list was checking if the older C5 uses a similar expansion tank. As I seem to recall that it looks the same but has a sensor fitted....

Brilliant well done!! (because I have a known leak at the moment, it's creeping down slowly till the pipe is replaced).

Cisco   
Sat Oct 01 2016, 10:48am
Member No: #1429
Excellent Vaho,

Look forward to your detailed solution

All the best,

Frank
vaho   
Sat Oct 01 2016, 10:56am
You can buy a tank with sensor, but it is not hard to make an opening to the existing tank and all you need is a sensor

vaho   
Sat Oct 01 2016, 03:56pm
Just to get started a few basic principles. Sensor has a three way plug, it needs earth(1), ignition(3) and sends then a signal(2) (5V - ok, 0V - coolant level low). Earth is no problem, ignition can be taken from terminal 4 of 28V grey connector in the fuse box, signal cable has to be connected to terminal 14 of 28V brown connector. There are no pins present in plugs that are connecting to these terminals so they have to be bought. Under bonnet fuse box has three 28-way connectors - black (noir), brown (marron) and grey (gris).
Coolant level sensor option in Lexia has to be changed from "Missing" to "Present" (global test-BSI-configuration-manual configuration-equipment, driver information...(1)). It may well be that after the installation it turns to present automatically, I initially connected the signal cable wrongly and then tried to configure BSI back and forth and left it to present before I connected the cable correctly. Then I hadn't do anything in Lexia. If code is needed it is 03114, or 3114.
Some random photos for now:

vaho   
Mon Oct 03 2016, 08:51am
Here is the file: Good Luck!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdkshdsp361533g/C6%20coolant%20level%20sensor%20retrofit.pdf?dl=0

Edit 04.10.2016. Made minor corrections and added suggestion regarding the cable.

If you have questions feel free to ask.
vaho   
Mon Oct 03 2016, 10:05am
Ok, the link seemes to go nowhere and I can not upload pdf-file dirctly. Any advice please?

Never mind, seemed to get it to work.
furriegurrie   
Mon Oct 03 2016, 10:50am
Absolutely brilliant work! Thanks a million!
I'll definately be doing this too!
vaho   
Mon Oct 03 2016, 11:47am
Thank you.
Some corrections. The number 0,75 referring to the cable thickness is ofcourse not the diameter but area of the cable - 0,75 mm2. The smaller pin is indeed designed for this area but as I described my aftermarket cable had too thick of an insulation. On the picture where there is a blue signal cable with pin attached to it is the way the pin will not fit into the hole. I ended up wrapping the back holding lugs of the pin not around the insulation but around the bare wire. It is not entirely correct but not too big of a problem also. If you can it is better to use a 0,75 mm2 cable with thin insulation.
Cisco   
Mon Oct 03 2016, 12:03pm
Member No: #1429
First class "How to"

Big thanks

Frank
furriegurrie   
Mon Oct 03 2016, 01:31pm
Can you explain how the sensor is fixed in the expansion tank? I understand the o ring that creates the seal, but what is holding the sensor in its place?
vaho   
Mon Oct 03 2016, 01:41pm
The hole has a bit of a rectangular shape. The bottom of the sensor has the same shape. You insert the sensor to the hole so that the plug part is facing the front sphere and then just turn it right to lock it in place.
David Hallworth   
Mon Oct 03 2016, 08:16pm

Member No: #90
What a fantastic guide, thank you!

Is there any merit in trying to organise a group buy to see if we can get these sensors at a bit of a discount?

David.
gmerry   
Mon Oct 03 2016, 09:02pm
Member No: #21
Hi David, I think most folk will just use a 2nd hand Peugeot 407 tank and sensor (from a 2.0HDi) which can usually be had for a very low price, from ebay. I tried many sensors and even when quite scaled up, seem to work perfectly.

I've had my car running with the tank sensor operational for last two years or so.

Best to use thinwall wiring which fits the terminals/plugs correctly as Vaho discovered. In the UK, AES - Click Here - supply thinwall cable by the meter.

Regards
G

Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club