C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

air filter housing removal

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
alanr7   
Sat Sep 24 2016, 09:35am
Member No: #304
Hi i need to remove the air filter housing on my C6,to gain access to the auto gear box filler cap any tips on how to do it would be most welcome many thanks Alan
321dave   
Sat Sep 24 2016, 12:20pm
Member No: #614
alanr7 wrote ...

Hi i need to remove the air filter housing on my C6,to gain access to the auto gear box filler cap any tips on how to do it would be most welcome many thanks Alan

Hi Alan,
It's not very difficult, I'm assuming it's a 2.7hdi engine. The description with pictures is in the technical area.

Here's a link:

Briefly, you remove the plastic air pipe which looks like it's coming from the top of the radiator(just pulls away near the rad and up from filter. Then you need to unscrew some bolts, I think it's 3 from the large filter housing body, next you release the various pipes leading from the filter housing body. These pipes are held on by large jubliee clips, I think it's 2 clips to unscrew with a screw driver or wrench and then you almost finished. You finally disconnect the two Maf air sensor connections on the filter body. Now the air filter housing should just lift up with a small bit of giggling. Underneath is the gearbox. Let us know how you got on! Good luck.
gmerry   
Mon Sep 26 2016, 02:23pm
Member No: #21
From memory, the screws that hold down the air filter body top half are large crosshead. You will need a Philips screwdriver sized #3.

Once you get down to the autobox, the filler screw cap can be found and it is probably an internal hex head.

regards

PS, any reason why this was posted in the Lounge? Just wondering because you are less likely to get help in that particular section.
alanr7   
Mon Sep 26 2016, 06:37pm
Member No: #304
gmerry wrote ...

From memory, the screws that hold down the air filter body top half are large crosshead. You will need a Philips screwdriver sized #3.

Once you get down to the autobox, the filler screw cap can be found and it is probably an internal hex head.

regards

PS, any reason why this was posted in the Lounge? Just wondering because you are less likely to get help in that particular section.

hi no reason down to not being familiar with the site many thanks for your help
gmerry   
Mon Sep 26 2016, 08:12pm
Member No: #21
Hi Alan, I find flexible hex drivers really speed up the work of loosening the 8mm (and possibly 7mm) hex headed screws, like these ones - Click Here -

regards
321dave   
Mon Sep 26 2016, 08:51pm
Member No: #614
Hi Alan, just to add to G's advice, your removing the air filter housing to get at the gearbox oil filler. The technical section also has a PDF to help. If I remember correctly you might need new seals if your attempting to check or drain & fill the gearbox.
cruiserphil   
Tue Sep 27 2016, 09:33pm

Member No: #38
Alan,

If you look down the side of the air filter housing you can see the plug with the torx head. I use a drive with extension bar to loosen it and then withdraw with a magnet. I blow away any dust with compressed air first. Then I use a funnel with a suitable length of pipe to fill. I replace the plug with the magnet and start it on it''s thread, then tighten with the drive. This avoids having to remove the air filter housing particularly if you want to do several transmission oil flushes!

Best regards,

Phil C.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club