Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Cruise Control Has Stopped Wortking

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
gmerry   
Wed Aug 18 2010, 09:56pm
Member No: #21
Well the cruise control no longer responds to any of the buttons, its a shame as it was useful on long journeys/quiet roads.

There's no fault showing on the Navidrive log, any easy simple diagnostics possible?

Seem to recall that the brake switch (passenger side under dash) is a likely culprit?

Regards
G
verycleverman   
Wed Aug 18 2010, 10:26pm
Member No: #65
It's good that we have a separate thread on this subject - maybe C6Dave could link in the various other posts on this subject. This is a problem which is going to affect more members as their cars age, mine has been playing up for over a year now and currently is inoperative. I had a tentative agreement with Citroën UK that they would consider investigating the problem as it first occurred within the warranty period. I'm still waiting!
I would have thought that, if the brake switch was to blame, then the speed limiter would still work; mine will not initiate either function. I suspect the steering wheel switch or the Comm 2000, (if fitted to the C6).

Pete.
michaelb   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 06:10am
Member No: #14
I wonder if it's a design fault with the steering wheel switches.

Mine seems to work okay but I do notice it takes a FIRM press on the minus button to get it to work. I guess the contacts are badly designed and it wouldn't take much for it/them to stop working altogether.
C6Dave   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 07:13am

Member No: #1
On the C4 the steering wheel switches can get dirty (different design though) and electrical cleaner can sort them out.

Yes the brake pedal switch is often the item that fails on the C4 which deactivates BOTH the cruise and speed limiter Pete as they are on the same system

Only on 1 reported occasion was it an actual ECU issue, every other report we have had has involved replacing the brake pedal switch.

The electrical systems are basically the same across the current range and as there is no error log report, the brake switch could be the problem

Where it is on the C6 though, I'm guessing passenger footwell, same as the C4, but really have no idea.
Website
Trainman   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 08:05am

Member No: #86
verycleverman wrote ...
I suspect the steering wheel switch or the Comm 2000, (if fitted to the C6).

Pete.

I have to say this is quite plausable, I recall numerous issues with the Comm 2000 from my days driving a Zxara. These included, Indicators and Wipers self activating.
Goons   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 09:39am
Member No: #145
Sounds very similar to the problem mine had a couple of months back (one week after i got the extended warranty). The tech reported it as a problem with the sensor that takes the data from the steering wheel buttons, they had the car for a day which included ivestigation and replacement and its been a case of so far so good ever since.
ChrisHunter   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 11:13am
Member No: #188
brake pedal switch - not on the brake-pedal, then ! ? Hmm, how would we find it - lift the carpet, in passenger foot-well, or get under the car ?
gmerry   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 11:38am
Member No: #21
Chris, for the RHD conversion, Citroen fit a bell crank and cross shaft for the brakes. Note that the master cylinder and vacuum servo are mounted under the bonnet on the Left hand side of the car. Pretty common for RHD conversions from LHD cars.

(I remember as a student with a 128 Coupe, my passenger would slyly apply the brakes via the bellcrank and cause me all sorts of worries)

Regards
G
C6Dave   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 12:04pm

Member No: #1
ChrisHunter wrote ...

brake pedal switch - not on the brake-pedal, then ! ? Hmm, how would we find it - lift the carpet, in passenger foot-well, or get under the car ?

I haven't had a look at the C6 yet but there is a guide with some pictures for the C4 here: - Click Here - which gives you some idea what to look for.
Website
tonyrome   
Thu Aug 19 2010, 05:00pm
Member No: #15
C6Dave wrote ...
I haven't had a look at the C6 yet but there is a guide with some pictures for the C4 here

Thanks, Dave, that looks useful. It's a job I need to fit in sometime over the weekend, if possible, as my switch stopped working some months ago.
ChrisHunter   
Fri Aug 20 2010, 08:08am
Member No: #188
>bell crank ...

many thanks - logical !

>lift the carpet ... C4 ...

thanks - will have a look ...

BTW, ISTR the VW Variant was also famous for passenger nervousness leading to unwanted accelerations !
Rooster   
Sat Sep 27 2014, 11:15am
Member No: #1799
The cruise control on my car has been working a treat.......until this morning. No buttons seem to be working at all. Can't get anything to work.

Any ideas welcome!
Hattershaun   
Sat Sep 27 2014, 03:59pm
Member No: #320
Try moving the steering wheel adjustment through its full range of travel, up/down/in/out.

This will move the cables that go to the cruise buttons and hopefully re-establish good electrical contacts.

It's a commonly occurring issue, happened on my first C6 and was fixed by the steering wheel aerobics session.

A more permanent solution is to remove a cable tie that holds a bunch of wires together inside the steering column shroud and replace with a tie that is not so tight .

Others have reported this worked for them.
Rooster   
Sat Sep 27 2014, 09:40pm
Member No: #1799
Shaun,

Bizarrely enough, that worked!!

Cheers.

Pete
Hattershaun   
Sat Sep 27 2014, 09:54pm
Member No: #320
Excellent, Pete.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club