C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Cambelt costs

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
FreakyFrenchFan   
Mon Sep 05 2016, 06:29pm
Member No: #2057
My 2.7 C6 is due a cambelt renewal in early 2017. Today I got a quote to change the belt, tensioners and water pump for reference purposes. The total including parts, labour and VAT was quoted at £575. Is that a reasonable price? Anyone got the job done at a garage cheaper?
David Hallworth   
Mon Sep 05 2016, 10:45pm

Member No: #90
It's cheaper to have this job done at a Citroen main dealer then that...

They're offering a timing belt for £345 including fitting. When I've enquired about this before that included the tensioner and the idler pulleys but didn't include the water pump.

- Click Here -

The water pump on the 2.7 and 3.0 HDi's is driven off the auxiliary belt not the timing belt so it's not critical to do it when the timing belt is changed.

David.
FreakyFrenchFan   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 04:51am
Cheaper at a Citroen main dealer!!? Well there's a first!!

The garage I got the quote from did say that the water pump doesn't run off the timing belt but advised that it ought to be changed while they were in there. Is the water pump in and around the cambelt area, hence validating the garages suggestion that it's done while they are in there?
FreakyFrenchFan   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 05:08am
My local Evans Halshaw Citroen main dealer is doing this £345 cambelt deal. My only reservation is that past experience with them has shown that they rarely work on C6s. Last time I took my car to them the reaction was "oh!..a C6!" Not the kind of reaction to instill confidence.
Cisco   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 08:07am
Member No: #1429
I had the cambelt changed by Citroen earlier this year.

I had planned to do this job myself however after research the Citroen deal seemed to be a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, after Citroen had the car they decided that the £345 deal did not include replacement of the idlers and tensioner, just the belt. This was Citroen Glasgow.

My car had around 114k miles on it at the time and I felt that it was long over due for a change despite the recommended intervals. However I had a good look at the old belt, rollers and tensioner after the work..they looked as good as new!

cruiserphil   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 08:36am

Member No: #38
FreakyFrench,

By in there they just mean while down at that end of the engine! You can change the water pump when renewing an auxiliary belt!

Best regards,

Phil C.
gmerry   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 10:32am
Member No: #21
Or to put it another way, to renew the water pump, requires all the non-drive end strip down (same as cambelt job) and removal of the cambelt: so whilst doing the cambelt change there is very little additional labour to also change the water pump.

regards
G
FreakyFrenchFan   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 11:15am
Cisco wrote ...

I had the cambelt changed by Citroen earlier this year.

I had planned to do this job myself however after research the Citroen deal seemed to be a no-brainer.

Unfortunately, after Citroen had the car they decided that the £345 deal did not include replacement of the idlers and tensioner, just the belt. This was Citroen Glasgow.

My car had around 114k miles on it at the time and I felt that it was long over due for a change despite the recommended intervals. However I had a good look at the old belt, rollers and tensioner after the work..they looked as good as new!

I confirmed with the garage that the tensioners and idlers are included in the price. If they start playing silly [%*^#@!] with me after the job is done I'll let you all know.
321dave   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 11:49am
Member No: #614
I was quoted a few years back €786 to do the belt and pulleys at my local Citroen garage.
The belt and pulley kit itself can be purchased for €135 from mister-auto and I purchased the same water pump as e3steve got. All still running fine, 3000+miles later. Many thanks to Steve for the help to this forum. - Click Here -
Best change the water pump along with the rest I think. I think it wasn't at all expensive, then again the same part with a Citroen label could be alot dearer. I think I paid €55. And it was virtually the same as the one the came out. I also found belt, pulleys and tensioner all in good working order and the belt in good condition (of course you cannot really tell what's going on inside with the belt structures) that's why they need to be changed near the time.
gmerry   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 12:39pm
Member No: #21
For the 2.7s, SKF reference for the waterpump is VKPC83261. About £50, see here for typical seller - Click Here -

FreakyFrenchFan   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 05:40pm
Well I can't say I'm impressed with the local Citroen main dealer so far. I rang them up, got reception and asked to be put through to servicing. The receptionist couldn't get an answer so asked if I would like a call back to which I agreed. Just over 2 hours later I hadn't received a call back so I rang again. The receptionist once again couldn't get service to answer so once again offered a call back. 25 minutes later I finally got my call back. The service guy told me the set price cambelt change included the tensioners and pulleys so I booked my car in. Then I read on here that a Citroen dealer in Glasgow didnt include the tensioners etc so I rang again to double check. After going through the same ring back issues again, albeit a shorter wait, I spoke to another service guy who gave me different info saying the cambelt change just does the belt but not the tensioners etc but he would double check and get back to me before close of business. He didn't! At this point I'm rapidly losing my patience with both the differing info and lousy customer care so I request to speak with the dealership manager to make a complaint. This is at 2pm and I'm assured by the receptionist that she has passed my request to the manager in person. By close of business the manager had not called me back!!
David Hallworth   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 08:15pm

Member No: #90
When you phone Citroen Glasgow these days to book a vehicle in they put you through to the Citroen UK Call Centre in Coventry. I asked them for a quote to do the timing belt on a C5 V6 a year or two back, they gave me a price and then emailed me a quote. I specifically asked them to include on the quote that it included the tensioner and idlers.

I would go down this route and present it to your dealer when you take the vehicle in. One way of proving that the work was done is to ask to see your old parts when you return to collect the car.

The Citroen mechanic will print the instructions off from a computer and follow them to do your belt. They specifically cover the removal, refitting and tensioning of the belt in great detail so I wouldn't be to worried. Anyway, if they wreck your engine, it's their problem! Alternatively, BL Auto's have done dozens of 2.7 timing belts, if you have any doubts about your dealer, I'd take mine there

Having dealt with Evans Halshaw Citroen in Mansfield when I bought the 3.0 HDI C5 I wasn't particularly impressed so wouldn't use them personally.

David.
321dave   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 08:20pm
Member No: #614
We all feel your pain!! They behave similar to a Costa coffee cafe near me. I once stood in front of two (to be honest tired looking, young ladies) for what seemed like 5 mins but it might of been 10 in fact. No service. So I went on my way, and haven't been back since. I've no idea if it's still open! But zero service that day!! Citroen unfortunately can come across in the same way. But I visited a BMW garage once with my sister(she had a few), amazing the difference. I'd say the new DS line is based on a similar experience (hopefully). Amazing attention to the customer! It's really that simple! But maybe that was a lucky day for BMW as well, as the poor unfortunate BMW wasn't very reliable and she doesn't want one anymore!
Cisco   
Tue Sep 06 2016, 10:37pm
Member No: #1429
You've got to laugh, it's definitely no way to run a chip shop! I was embarrassed for Citroen Glasgow when they changed their minds about the cost.

On the other hand I know that the timing belt on the 2.7 engine is a £600 job all day long, so I wasn't too bothered.

Good luck with it.

Frank
FreakyFrenchFan   
Tue Sep 13 2016, 05:00pm
Good news and bad news.

My local Evans Halshaw have confirmed that the cambelt service includes the tensioners and idlers for the price of £345. They are also going to change the water pump while they are in there. Rob at BL Autos said that although the water pump doesn't run off the cambelt, it's located in the vicinity so should be changed while everything is in bits. Halshaws are gonna do the water pump for an additional cost of £180 Inc VAT which includes the pump at £105, 0.8 hours additional labour and new coolant.(Does this sound reasonable?).

Now the bad news. They have had to cancel my booking for tomorrow because...get this.....they don't have a special tool that is required to do the job. So they are allegedly gonna order in the required item and then rearrange my appointment.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club