C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Bushes.....

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
frozenbeard81   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 02:36pm
Member No: #2503
After an investigation in a dash rattle (of which this issue isn't really the cause) I have discovered the presence of a failed bush. Namely the bush in the picture.

Now my garage has said it won't replace the bush as the carrier are is too brittle to be pressed when installing replacement bush.

Now obviously a bush is readily available and looks the best option over the other two being that they will either supply and fit whole new arm (expensive) or I supply a 2nd hand complete arm from eBay/breaker etc.

Does anyone have any experience of either a garage doing the bush or themselves doing it. I think on this issue my garage probably could do it but not risking cracking the metal of the arm

gmerry   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 05:34pm
Member No: #21
Not sure why your garage thinks the carrier is brittle: in its manufacturing, PSA subject the part to a lot of processing to ensure the quality of the part. I think someone commented that a new carrier didn't look new and that is down to the heat treatment and hot isostatic pressing. PSA have lots of patents on this method and application, see Abstract:
This paper describes a microstructural-based high cycle fatigue behaviour model applied to cast Al-Si alloys used in an automobile context. These materials are characterized by the presence of different microstructural heterogeneities at different scales: the aluminium matrix (DAS/SDAS and the precipitation hardening level), inclusions (Si particles and intermetallic) and casting defects (porosity). It is shown that the effects of these factors on the HCF damage mechanisms are important and can depend on the loading mode. A multiaxial fatigue test campaign has been carried out using three cast aluminium alloys, fabricated by different casting processes (gravity die casting and lost foam casting), associated with several heat treatment(T7 and Hot Isostatic Pressing-HIP). The HIP treatment is used to eliminate or minimise the porosity. The first part of the article is dedicated to the experimental characterization of the HCF damage mechanisms. With regard to the effect of the casting defects, a study of natural fatigue crack growth and artificial long crack growth is presented and subsequently used to choose an appropriate fatigue strength criterion to take into account the effect of defects, for different loading modes (tension, torsion and combined tension-torsion). Finally, a flexible modelling framework, providing the possibility of combining any two suitable criteria, which leads to the construction of a multiaxial Kitagawa-Takahashi diagram, is used..
Anyway, the existing bush carrier needs to be carefully removed and the new bush carrier checked for fit, before pressing it in. Maybe this kind of care and attention is not within the capability of this garage?

regards
G
Cisco   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 07:10pm
Member No: #1429
Hi there,

Replacement of this bush is straight forward. There is a post with some photos showing how to do it with a couple of sockets.

Be aware that there is an alternative bush available which is more expensive, about £25 iirc on the bay, which is said to last a lot longer.

I bought one of them and also the standard one you have posted up and checked the measurements. I've attached a pic of them together. I decided to fit the alternative as it was clearly a better design.

All the best, Frank
frozenbeard81   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 08:36pm
I have to admit Gmerry I was very suprised at this from them as they have been good as gold and very knowledgeable (up to now) car is back there on Wednesday for them to have a look at something but if I get same response im afraid they will be losing my business.
321dave   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 10:39pm
Member No: #614
Unfortunately the main dealers just want to sell a new set and instal them fast. Because that bushing isn't available from Citroen as a service part idir. I had the very same problem so decided to buy the new set and install myself fast, and buy the aftermarket parts to renovate the old set ready to swap them back around in another 40000mls. Or as soon as the lovely clunking sound starts up again! I'll be ready this time
frozenbeard81   
Tue Aug 23 2016, 01:26am
Well this was an indy as opposed to a main dealer. I will go back to them withave a view to me supplying said bush.
gmerry   
Tue Aug 23 2016, 06:59am
Member No: #21
Hi FBeard, one other thing on this job: in my experience, the rearmost bush on the lower wishbone is the one that wears out the fastest. So if I was dismantling the suspension to replace the suspension upright lower bush, I would do the rear wishbone bush at the same time. Plenty of posts on this forum on this job.

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Tue Aug 23 2016, 07:16am

Member No: #38
Frozenbeard,

This bush is very easy to change. As Cisco says there is an excellent post on doing the job in situ. The aftermarket bush I used was a spot on replacement!

Best regards,

Phil C.
frozenbeard81   
Tue Aug 23 2016, 04:36pm
Sorry to be a pain but does anyone have the links to both job how to? I can't seem to find them.

Many thanks.
321dave   
Tue Aug 23 2016, 04:44pm
Member No: #614
frozenbeard81 wrote ...

Sorry to be a pain but does anyone have the links to both job how to? I can't seem to find them.

Many thanks.

This is it I believe. Nice pictures as well from forum member jodyone.
- Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club