C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Restoration

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
321dave   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 10:35am
Member No: #614
I was wondering does anyone know where i can buy some new replacement fabric covers for the EGR pipes. Thanks

C6Dave   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 11:29am

Member No: #1
Hmm, what does it actually do, is it a form of noise suppression or heat insulation?
Website
321dave   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 08:44pm
Dave-Retired wrote ...

Hmm, what does it actually do, is it a form of noise suppression or heat insulation?

I think it's heat related, but I might be wrong. So far I can't trace anything similiar even on eBay.
MGmike   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 09:58pm
Member No: #3151
321dave wrote ...

Dave-Retired wrote ...

I think it's heat related, but I might be wrong. So far I can't trace anything similiar even on eBay.

I was also thinking heat but the weave of the material is very open and now I not so sure. I was supplied something similar with a caravan space heater by webasto but found it less than effective for the location and eventually fitted some exhaust wrap approx 1" wide. I still have most of a roll if you want to try some?
gmerry   
Wed Dec 06 2017, 11:19pm
Member No: #21
Its temperature protection for proximate plastics and wiring (radiation spacer and prevents direct conduction).
321dave   
Thu Dec 07 2017, 04:39pm
gmerry wrote ...

Its temperature protection for proximate plastics and wiring (radiation spacer and prevents direct conduction).

Thanks G, you don't know any companies selling replacement sleeves? I couldn't source any except the older exhaust manifold wrapping clothe tapes.
321dave   
Sun Feb 11 2018, 04:04pm
MGmike wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

Dave-Retired wrote ...

I was also thinking heat but the weave of the material is very open and now I not so sure. I was supplied something similar with a caravan space heater by webasto but found it less than effective for the location and eventually fitted some exhaust wrap approx 1" wide. I still have most of a roll if you want to try some?

Sorry I missed that reply Mike. Many thanks for the kind offer. I came up with a idea. Put one piece in the washing machine. It worked, but the shape wasn't quite the same after.
321dave   
Sat May 05 2018, 10:51am
321dave wrote ...

MGmike wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

Dave-Retired wrote ...

Sorry I missed that reply Mike. Many thanks for the kind offer. I came up with a idea. Put one piece in the washing machine. It worked, but the shape wasn't quite the same after.

Hopefully I will start the conversion from RT3 to RT5 in a week or so (time permitting). I will try document the process as well. I just received the adaptor wiring loom from France yesterday. So all the pieces have been slowly put in place to tackle the job. My only real concern if anyone can help is with the initial trim removal.
We all know how brittle ten year old plastic/trim can be. So, if anyone has any smart tips or tricks and ways and means of removing the screen coweling etc or if there are any surprise clips or screws I should be aware of i would be very grateful for any advice! Thanks again. Hopefully it will be a good experience!

eke   
Sun May 06 2018, 07:13pm
Member No: #624
Good luck Dave. I did this last december and I am sure you can manage it. I don’t recall any difficulties removing the trim around the screen. There are some good pictures from m3mpower here in the Forum of the trim removal.
321dave   
Mon May 07 2018, 02:41pm
eke wrote ...

Good luck Dave. I did this last december and I am sure you can manage it. I don’t recall any difficulties removing the trim around the screen. There are some good pictures from m3mpower here in the Forum of the trim removal.

Thanks Eke, I will start by checking those forum posts out first. Did you also use the adaptor wiring loom?
eke   
Mon May 07 2018, 04:09pm
Member No: #624
Yes, I did use the Phibu interface. Do you have the RT4/5 screen cable also, the RT3 screen cable won't do it ? There is limited space for the wires behind the radio, so I suggest that you take out the RT3 screen cable. You have to carefully fit the adaptor loom behind the radio, not too much space there.
When installing the usb-cable and FM antenna adaptors to the old antenna-plugs, I used twine to get cables through the cable pipe that is running from the radio hollow to rigth legroom under glove department (LHD car). With twine you can get cables back and forth the same route.
cruiserphil   
Tue May 08 2018, 09:32am

Member No: #38
Dave,

Make sure you have a set of trim removing tools. It takes the misery out of removing trim carefully and avoiding damage!!

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Wed May 09 2018, 05:01pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Dave,

Make sure you have a set of trim removing tools. It takes the misery out of removing trim carefully and avoiding damage!!

Best regards,

Phil C.

Hi Phil,
that's a good tip, many thanks, hadn't thought of that! Will get a set to help with the disassembly. Hope to get started this weekend.

Dave
321dave   
Wed May 09 2018, 05:09pm
Hi Eke,
Thanks for the hrlpful insights. I did take the headunit out briefly for a look at the wiring, and I found it very tight at the back alright! But I'll try that tip regarding the string as well. It's amazing how a few insights into what might be an issue start to make the job a lot easier. Many thanks again. Dave.

cruiserphil   
Thu May 10 2018, 10:27am

Member No: #38
Dave,

My local motor factors has them in stock if you find difficulty getting a set for the weekend.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club