C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Restoration

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
furriegurrie   
Fri Dec 16 2016, 07:08pm
Member No: #2448
What did cost? I had a quick look a while ago and they seemed almost 60 euros a piece which is quite a lot of money for simple pur thingies
321dave   
Sat Dec 17 2016, 01:15am
Member No: #614
Hi FG, this mount in question is approx €68 by Febi bilstein. There are 4 mounts in total on the engine and gearbox, and the dearest is €150+ for the active front or rear mounts. They use a vacuum i believe to operate.
321dave   
Sat Dec 17 2016, 01:20am
Thanks Phil, i didn't realise they were an NCT fail. I think I can make out an area of glue on the shoulder area below the spud, mine I'm guessing was previously lose and was probably glued back up in position. I think it's worth maintaining the car , so I've ordered two new replacements to go on at the next opportunity.

Incidentally Phil, when you recently checked out a bumping sound for another C6 owner, was it the steering rack that was lose where it bolts to the subframe? I might have a similar knocking sound. But I'm also suspecting a lower right wishbone mount moving in and out at the rear mounting point near the steering rack area. I'm thinking of getting a small camera to record what is going on at the front suspension area while driving to spot any movement. Might be interesting.

321dave   
Sun Jan 08 2017, 09:43am
Well, was still having trouble with the rear left brake pads not making correct contact to the new disks I installed over Christmas and not sliding fully, even after putting everything in new (metal slider clips) Pagid make them for €10, except then I noticed the rust had altered the internal shape slightly of the calliper holder and that was the reason they were still not working properly.
So I ordered a new holder, could of machined the old one back to flat, but decided to replace with a new unit. Will do the same for the right hand side as well.
Front calliper holders aren't so bad in price, can be bought for around €50, but the rear smaller slimmer holders here in the picture are north of €100 and a bit difficult to get at times, somebody can correct me, but I think the rear brakes are special only to the C6.

gmerry   
Sun Jan 08 2017, 01:29pm
Member No: #21
Dave, yes I think the rear brakes are special to the C6.

Regarding your new caliper holder, I would check that there is no raised flash anywhere on the casting and if there is, it needs to be removed with a file. A smear of Pagid grease under the stainless shim is your friend with regard to keeping wear and corrosion at bay and hence keeping everything sliding. The file needs a safe edge for getting into the corner.

regards
321dave   
Sun Jan 08 2017, 05:58pm
Thanks G, it is new but it has been on a shelve somewhere for a good while, and I'm going to clean it a bit before installing it. I'm on hold till my rear anti roll bar bushes and other caliper holder turns up during the week. Thankfully I've no issue with the rear parking brake or cables.
321dave   
Sun Apr 23 2017, 08:34am
cruiserphil wrote ...

321Dave,

The rear bump stops deteriorate and can break at the spud where they fit in the subframe and then fall off. I've just bought two for the 09 car. I was checking one for security and it just fell off as I touched it. They are a consumable. Worth checking when you're doing a service. Incidentally they're an NCT fail item if they're missing! (A neighbour's C5 was missing one at NCT. I replaced both for him).

Best regards,

Phil C.

Thanks Phil, apologies, I somehow missed the reply. But invaluable information thanks again. I've now replaced both sides, not very cheap to buy, but all new and fitted on the car now. I also fitted a new rear Anti roll bar and links to the rear axle while I had the car supported. Nice to get the work done finally. Dave.
321dave   
Sun Apr 23 2017, 08:38am

321dave   
Sun Apr 23 2017, 08:42am

Condition of old bushing. 130000mls.
321dave   
Sun Apr 23 2017, 09:56am

321dave   
Sun Apr 23 2017, 10:10am
The restoration process has now begun again in earnest around the rear brakes this time, as i found the right rear hub bearing to be making a slight groaning noise and seemed to be sticking just a little. So i decide to renew the hub anyway just in case it was starting to deteriorate. I also decided at this point to install new rear calipers as well to go along with the new hub. I found the left hub not to be original and had been replaced at some point, but seemed fine. But im wondering if i should replace it as well?

321dave   
Wed Sep 13 2017, 05:22pm
New hub assembly in place with new Caliper and disk protector and new Bosch ABS Sensor

New brake carrier and new pads and disk to finish the hub renewal

[

321dave   
Wed Sep 13 2017, 06:00pm

I believe dirt was bypassing the rear seal.
321dave   
Wed Sep 13 2017, 06:05pm

A new design plastic hand brake cable clip replaces the older metal clip.
e3steve   
Fri Sep 15 2017, 07:18am
Member No: #1163
Great work, Dave!

Questions

a) Are you going for an entry into The Guinness Book Of Records for "the most money spent on non-failed parts on a C6", and

b) Will it ever get driven in the wet...

?
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club