C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Intrument Panel not lighting, everything else OK

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
chrisisbd   
Sun Jul 03 2016, 09:51am
Member No: #2258
Our C6's instrument panel has gone completely blank, nothing alight at all. It's a 2010 2.2 C6. The head-up display still works as does the LCD display (sat nav etc.).

I've checked the fuse (but it powers the head-up as well so wasn't really a candidate). Is there anything else obvious to check and/or is there a switch that turns the intrument panel on/off?
gmerry   
Sun Jul 03 2016, 11:20am
Member No: #21
Presumably some (one) of the ICs has burn out: see recent Freaky posts on the same subject.

Regards
G
Trainman   
Sun Jul 03 2016, 11:27am

Member No: #86
gmerry is right, have a look at this - Click Here -
Norman   
Sun Jul 03 2016, 12:50pm
Member No: #364
That doesn't bode well mine is the same age Rp no 30027
it's happened!
Hi all, started the car this morning and the display flashed three or four times then went out no smell of burning just nothing no display just the head up display which i noticed went up and down in brightness one moment it was bright so turned it down then a bit later went dim so turned it up again it did this all the way from Huddersfield to Leeds/Bradford airport but leaving to return to Huddersfield it was steady without any fluctuations, is this a sign that the altanator or battery is failing?
FreakyFrenchFan   
Mon Jul 04 2016, 07:01am
Member No: #2057
My display is still working fine. Isn't it strange how all of a sudden lots of units are packing up. The engineer at Autotronics who fixed my display told me that the components used in the Borg unit are not very high quality.
gmerry   
Mon Jul 04 2016, 07:05am
Possibly, the components are normal quality, but the design or build is flawed (eg insufficient heat dissipation, poor soldering/manufacturing technique).

Regards
G
Valleybuoy   
Mon Jul 04 2016, 08:16am
Member No: #1069
Wierd. Happened to mine a month ago... and there appears to be a rash of recent similar issues. Would be interesting to know if it's more age of mileage related.

Came without warning. Cost a whole bunch to get a new unit in from France and replaced.

I was on 96K / Yr 2008 .
FreakyFrenchFan   
Mon Jul 04 2016, 10:41am
Valleybuoy. Just for reference, how much does a new unit cost?
robingc33   
Mon Jul 04 2016, 08:21pm
Member No: #2303
F.Y.I.
My burnt-out display is being replaced on Wed by my local Citroen dealer.
The best price I could find for the unit itself was from Duff Morgan in Norwich at just under £800 inc VAT (having mentioned my c6owner membership). The official list price was £907 inc VAT last time I asked.
Thankfully my dealer has agreed to pass this discounted price on to me (since they get their parts from Duff Morgan anyway), but then there's also some installation time to add since it apparently needs configuring for the specific car by download from Citroen. It will pick up the registered mileage from the car's BSI unit.
Robin
FreakyFrenchFan   
Tue Jul 05 2016, 07:56am
£907!!!!!!? That's obscene!
Dan595   
Tue Jul 05 2016, 10:33am
Member No: #299
The £907 sounds familiar - I went through this failure three years ago (late 2006 build car, probably on around 110K miles at the time).

The bigger problem then was that it was on back-order and not expected for some months. My warranty co. suggested a repairer - they needed two goes at it but it's been fine since. Seems that the repair co (Speedorepair) can no longer do C6 units though.
gmerry   
Tue Jul 05 2016, 10:42am
Hi all, it sounds as though most of the repairers are getting scared off due to the complexity of the repair, or the risk of repeat failures.

Has anyone spoken to the actual people carrying out the repair at Autotronics?

G
Jarecki   
Tue Jul 05 2016, 12:54pm
Member No: #2069
Do you have any "second hand market" ? we do so: - Click Here -
robingc33   
Wed Jul 06 2016, 09:57am
Member No: #2303
The snag about fitting a "secondhand" unit is that you need to find a unit with less mileage than your car since, when fitted, it displays whichever is the higher mileage, that already stored in the secondhand display or that from your car's BSI module.
I sent my burnt unit to Autotronics and subsequently spoke to them but they thought the pcb track damage too great to repair. I subsequently bodged a track repair myself and replaced two chips and it worked for around 30mins then failed again!
From my tedious experience with three failures, it appears that there are three specific components likely to fail in the display illumination regulator circuit; the CANBUS functions still appear to work even when the display is blank after failure. Maybe? the components aren't sufficiently robust and/or it's a poor design.
The main limitation to solving it long-term is not having a circuit diagram; I haven't found one anywhere so far
Robin
Jarecki   
Wed Jul 06 2016, 12:35pm
Member No: #2069
No offence robingc33, I just wanted to show the easy and cheap way, just help... It is possible that the units in new C5 is the same? I'll check it and inform about my research. So far i wish you luck, dont worry !
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club