Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Oil Filter Housing Heat Exchanger

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Cisco   
Fri Jun 17 2016, 07:49pm
Member No: #1429
Hi Guys,

Could someone post up the parts diagram/ Part Nos for the engine oil heat exchanger attached to the oil filter housing.

I believe it's in the lubrication section.

Many thanks,

Frank
cruiserphil   
Sat Jun 18 2016, 01:39pm

Member No: #38
Frank,

Hope this helps for now.

Best regards,

Phil C.
Cisco   
Sat Jun 18 2016, 06:18pm
Hey Phil,

That's exactly what I needed.

Got some engine oil in my coolant after I replaced the inlet tank hoping the exchanger is the problem as the car is running great. Otherwise its hgf which will be a real how to tutorial on this car

ATB Frank
gmerry   
Sun Jun 19 2016, 07:57am
Member No: #21
Might be a long shot, but there is also the transmission oil cooler (mounted on front of the transmission) which could be a point of oil leakage into the coolant. Not sure if there is any easy way of distinguishing between engine oil and transmission oil once it is mixed in with the coolant.

Regards
G
Cisco   
Sun Jun 19 2016, 08:57am
Hi Gordon,

That was my first thought (hope), I did not even know there was a engine oil cooler until Robert at BL Autos put me straight.

Pretty sure it's engine oil tho' smell/colour etc. had just done a partial change too so would expect to see a suggestion of atf pink colour.

The gearbox cooler is an easy bypass check though and will definately cross it off the list before I start heart surgery.
321dave   
Sun Jun 19 2016, 09:56am
Member No: #614
Hi Frank,
I suppose your thinking it might be a head gasket(s)? Hopefully not. Worth checking the other routes first. My coolant is the red halfords G30 stuff. Just occurred to me other than smell it would be hard to spot contamination from the ATF fluid in the coolantant if that happened.
Cisco   
Sun Jun 19 2016, 12:59pm
Hi Dave,

Don't lose any sleep over it You'll spot any sort of oil in your coolant mighty quick. Even the smallest amount finds it's way to the expansion bottle in no time at all.

ATB Frank
321dave   
Sun Jun 19 2016, 04:17pm
Hi Frank,
that's reassuring. Are you planning on conducting any pressure tests on the engine.
Cisco   
Sun Jun 19 2016, 05:30pm
Dave,

Here's my thinking, bear in mind I've done over a thousand miles since I first noticed this and the car is running perfectly with solid temperature...

If a fire ring on the head gasket goes then the cooling system pressurizes. No hiding from this, the car will dump the coolant in short order.

The car is not loosing any coolant but oil is finding its way into the coolant; now the oil system works at a higher pressure than the cooling system so that's why the leak is one way, but it has to be happening downstream of the oil pump so hopefully in the filter body which has the exchanger attached. Otherwise there would be coolant in the oil as well resulting in some mayo.. but I don't have any of that.

If the car had overheated due to the inlet tank leak then i would say 95% sure one of the gaskets were gone, but I caught that leak quickly and had no overheating event.

There are some other possibilities but I'll change out the exchanger first. I'm just struggling to see how an exchanger like that (or the g'box one) could fail.

I'll update the thread when I know a bit more.

ATB Frank

321dave   
Mon Jun 20 2016, 11:06am
Hi Frank,
thats good logical thinking, what are the internal system pressures again, if i remember correctly the coolant circuit i think is under 1.4 Bar of pressure or near abouts. Then the oil Circuit? not sure what the internal pressure is? I believe a compression test which im going to conduct in a few weeks when i replace my rusted up old oil sump with a brand new one will be interesting (promise to take photos). I will also conduct an oil sieve test as well to see if there is anything in the old oil.

Cisco   
Mon Jun 20 2016, 12:04pm
Dave,

I don't know

The oil pressure is continually reducing from pump pressure as the oil travels through the various journals until it finally gets through the oil filter and completes it journey back to the sump under gravity.

Probably around 2-3 bar at inlet to the filter.

ATB Frank
Cisco   
Sun Aug 14 2016, 01:11pm
Hey Guys,

Yesterday I finally got round to changing out the heat exchanger (and the thermostat tank). Jury is out as to whether it has solved my oil/water problem but so far so good.

I've included some snaps of the dismantling as it may add to the guidance already given on the forum in respect to replacing the thermostat tank. For anyone taking out the exchanger note that the glow plug "bus bars" and the diesel vapour chamber have to be removed to get it out. Straight forward though.

ATB Frank

e3steve   
Sun Aug 14 2016, 03:09pm
Member No: #1163
Oh, memories...

25k-miles / 3 years ago for me; wondering if it might fall due again soon!
Cisco   
Mon Aug 22 2016, 08:05pm
I've now done about 500 miles since I changed out this heat exchanger and I'm happy (actually delighted would be a better description) to report that I now have clean coolant with no oil in it.

If you are unluck enough to have the same problem make sure to replace the gasket and O-ring shown in the above schematic #11 and #12 as they will not wear a second use

I used a second hand replacement cooler, they are readily available at around £30 on the bay.

ATB

Frank
Radox   
Fri Feb 19 2021, 08:02am
Member No: #4044
Hi, I now have the exact same problem (oil in the coolant, but NO coolant in the oil, no overheating, car running normally) and I hope is the heat exchanger here too, and not the head gasket.

HOWEVER, the difference is, that my coolant sometimes overflows from the radiator cap and there are droplets all over the place.

I will finally be able to take the car to a Citroen dealer next week, but what do you thinki might be causing the overflowing?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club