Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Digital display failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
FreakyFrenchFan   
Wed Jun 08 2016, 05:36am
Member No: #2057
The digital display behind the steering wheel, the one showing the road speed, rev counter and fuel gauge etc has gone out on my C6. What can I do?
Tjensen   
Wed Jun 08 2016, 11:25am
Member No: #954
Check BBA reman.com and discussion here at the forum. You are not alone...

They write : failing Citroen C6 Instrument cluster fitted on Vehicles made between years 2006 and 2011, functions intermittently to a complete failure, occasionally the lights flicker with the ignitions and then goes back to being completely dead. BBA has recently developed a test and a fix for the internal components and can offer you the best price for repair of your unit. The common part numbers for this module are 9662142480-00. But for different part numbers or models call our team for advice.
gmerry   
Wed Jun 08 2016, 12:03pm
Member No: #21
AK started a thread on this - Click Here - quite recently and posted on his experience with UK repairers.
Robingc33 has an on-going thread - Click Here - with respect to protecting against voltage spikes, using Littlefuse electronics, to prevent the failure happening in the first place.

Regards
G
Cisco   
Wed Jun 08 2016, 08:13pm
Member No: #1429
Freaky,

I have gone thro' this recently.

Initially I contacted Actronics in Colchester who were recommended by AK however it transpired that they will not accept private repairs. So I did not take it further.

The Dutch garage did not answer my email enquiry, nor did BBA- Reman. I ended up sending my unit to Autotronics who have repaired it and have had it on test for a week. I get it back tomorrow. Finger crossed Cost was £220 including vat and carriage.

If you need guidance on removing the unit I can take some pics when refitting it. Let me know.

Also, according to the Tech at Autotronics the display failures are due to poor quality transistors on the pcb rather than supply voltage spikes....

ATB Frank
321dave   
Thu Jun 09 2016, 12:42am
Member No: #614
Thanks for that Frank, if you have a few photos to put up on the forum that would be really great, I'm afraid everyone will be visited with this problem very soon it seems. I'm sure I'm not far away myself so I'm getting ready.
Was your display a little low on light in places or evenly lite if that makes any sense? I know some of the interior trim around the display is a bit confusing to remove. Thanks again.

Best regards
Dave
cruiserphil   
Thu Jun 09 2016, 09:30am

Member No: #38
Thanks for the useful info!
FreakyFrenchFan   
Fri Jun 10 2016, 05:00am
Cisco.

Some pictures showing how the unit is removed/refitted would be very helpful and thank you very much for the info. I will be in touch with Autotronics ASAP.
Cisco   
Fri Jun 10 2016, 07:30am
Dave, I did not notice any uneven lighting on my unit before it failed. About two years ago I noticed that it faded once or twice but that event never repeated.

I have the unit back now and have put about 200 miles on the car since. Everything seems fine. It's great to have a display again. Fingers tightly crossed but the repair is warrantied.

Note that when you remove the dash you will/may get some error messages on start up..mine included:

imobiliser faulty; depolution system faulty; airbags faulty, seatbelt pretensioners faulty. When I reinstalled the dash the MIL light was on too, however after a couple of starts it was out, so no need to revert to diagbox.

I've attached a couple of pics for removal. It's a ten minute job, here are the key points.

Gently prise out the "wood" trim starting at the centre display end. once it starts moving it will come easily.

Remove the three T20 torx screws which locate the surround trim and display. Detach the plastic latches that hold the trim to the display. Gently prise the trim up and out.

The display can now be removed after disconnecting the yellow multiplug.

I took my unit apart to see the extent of the damage to the pcb and i have attached a couple of pics..you can see the actual chip/transistor/bit that has burnt out.

321dave   
Fri Jun 10 2016, 08:02am
Member No: #614
HI Frank,
thanks for taking the time to put up the photos showing the damage to your display. I was always wondering also how to remove that piece of trim from the dash if the display was to fail suddenly, which is probably only a matter of time now.

Best regards
Dave
robingc33   
Fri Jun 10 2016, 04:03pm
Member No: #2303
That's the same chip that blew on mine (Vishay Si4431BDY) - but also the nearest of the adjacent pair of 915055 chips looked "cooked". Both are available on ebay (and from Mouser Electronics UK?).
I'm due to get/fit the replacement second chip any day and power it up again, but am not holding my breathe
Robin
Cisco   
Fri Jun 10 2016, 06:19pm
Fingers crossed for you Robin.

May I ask, how did Autotronics deal with their warranty responsibilities?

ATB

Frank
robingc33   
Fri Jun 10 2016, 07:43pm
Member No: #2303
Thanks Frank.

I only sent the unit to Autotronics as a last resort after two repairs by an overseas company had failed within a few days/miles of receiving it back each time.

This double repair process took several months in total and removed any confidence I had that it could be resolved by this route, particularly since the second failure was much more dramatic than the original and resulted in the burnt track damage around the 4431 which had not happened before.

This repairer did repair it and return it free the second time but, to be honest, I'd had enough after this second failure and didn't contact them again. They included a note with the second repair return suggesting the failures might be due to some fault within the car's system (which is partly what prompted me to enlist professional help to check the car's 12V rail for transients recently).

After these two failures I decided to ring round a few UK repairers and was impressed with Autotronics who appeared knowledgable and professional.
However, after sending them the unit for examination, they declined to repair it due to the damage to the pcb tracks around the burnt 4431 chip, but they only charged me for the return postage, not their time in examining it, for which I was grateful and commend them.

At this point I decided that in principal I'd had enough and wanted a new unit despite the cost unless I could get (very!) lucky and fix it myself meantime by replacing the two obviously damaged chips. As of today one chip is fitted, the other in the post so I'll have an outcome quite soon, but don't hold out a lot of hope of avoiding renewal

Robin

FreakyFrenchFan   
Mon Jun 13 2016, 05:09pm
Something worrying has just crossed my mind. In my Range Rover the odometer reading on the dash display tallies with the distance stored in the cars central computer aka the brain. Does the same system apply with the C6 or is the dash display independent? I recall Steve Welsh telling me that if a C6 dash display is replaced, let's say with a new unit or one from a breaker, it will never show the real mileage of the car it goes into again because it's not working in sync with the cars brain. So my worry is that while I'm currently driving around without an operating display, the mileage I'm doing won't be recorded.
Hattershaun   
Mon Jun 13 2016, 06:37pm
Member No: #320
The mileage is stored in two places; in the display unit and in a computer somewhere else (I think the BSI).

If another display is installed the mileages are compared and the highest one is shown.

If you install a new display, repair yours or install a second hand unit with lower mileage then your original mileage will be shown.

If you install a second hand unit with higher mileage than yours, then the higher mileage will be displayed.

FreakyFrenchFan   
Mon Jun 13 2016, 07:05pm
Hattershaun wrote ...

The mileage is stored in two places; in the display unit and in a computer somewhere else (I think the BSI).

If another display is installed the mileages are compared and the highest one is shown.

If you install a new display, repair yours or install a second hand unit with lower mileage then your original mileage will be shown.

If you install a second hand unit with higher mileage than yours, then the higher mileage will be displayed.

So the BSI is still recording all the distance I'm covering despite the display being out of action?
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club