Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 2.2 HDi Auto front suspension strut replacement.

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Tak   
Tue Nov 14 2023, 04:24pm
Member No: #4309

Hi, I am hoping to replace the two leaking front suspension struts this weekend.
I was wondering if anyone could confirm if the driveshafts have to come out to allow room to drop the struts or if it’s possible leaving them in place. Thanks.
MGmike   
Tue Nov 14 2023, 06:37pm
Member No: #3151
From memory, you can leave them in.

You will need to remove the driveshaft nut and the upright lower bolt to allow the the upright to swing forward enough to get the strut out.

As you're removing the lower bolt, I would also replace the lower outer bush as a maintenance item.
onthecut   
Thu Nov 16 2023, 08:48am
Member No: #2793
I have found that for the few minutes extra it takes, the job is easier if the tie rod ends are also disconnected. The lower eye of the strut is a very precise fit in the upright and it can be helpful to have as much free movement as possible.

As well as ther lower bush, as MGMike suggests, it is also a good time to consider replacement of the roll bar drop link (which is also the lower securing pin for the strut) and the lower swivel joint.

When doing the lower bush, my experience has been that they vary very considerably in how easily the old piece comes out. I have successfully done them in situ on the car with a threaded rod extractor set, but the last one was phenomenally tight and required heat and a substantial force with a press to get it moving.

When reassembling, if possible, tighten the lower bush nut with the car sitting in its usual height position (not fully hanging).

Mike.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club