C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Fuel Range

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
sotweedfactor   
Wed May 25 2016, 05:03pm
Member No: #2185
The central display console in our cars has a go at telling us what it thinks the remaining mileage range is before we run out of fuel. From last nights experience I can say that my car runs out of fuel and the engine dies when it says there are 28 miles still to go and the fuel level gauge still has one segment lit.

As it rolled/ground to a halt, the last of the fuel level segments ceased to be lit.

This morning I filled it with 5 litres of diesel which was enough to illuminate 2 segments.

Under the bonnet you then have to squeeze the black priming pump until you cease to see air/bubble in the transparent pipe and the rubber pump feels firm as fuel pressure is built up. After about 6 goes with the starter, the engine fired up. A little bit hesitant for the first 30 seconds or so and then it's been fine.
Hattershaun   
Wed May 25 2016, 06:32pm
Member No: #320
I just refilled my car, range was saying 31 miles, one bar on the fuel gauge and warning light had been on for 30 miles.
I could only get 64 litres in the tank, so reckon there was 6 litres remaining ( I think the tank holds 70 litres).
Nearly 550 miles on a full tank of fuel.
gmerry   
Wed May 25 2016, 07:42pm
Member No: #21
Hi Softweedfactor, this sounds so different to my C6 with a 2.7HDi, that I can only imagine you have a faulty tank pump/level sender unit and /or something wrong with the injection ECU.

Regards
G

To expand on why this is so different, the 2.7HDi (mine is 2008 model year) does not have any transparent fuel pipe and no manual fuel priming pump. So I assume Softweedfactor has a 2.2HDi. The Injection ECUs are completely different between the 2.2 and the 2.7HDi. I can easily drive from two bars, when the warning light comes on, down to zero bars and routinely do this. After the last bar on the gauge disappears, there is normally an indicated 25 miles range on the centre display then after this goes down to about 20 miles, the range display goes blank. I've tested this residual range many times because my favoured service station is about 15 miles away (urban driving)so can vouch for its reliability.
Tjensen   
Thu May 26 2016, 11:52am
Member No: #954
My experience is also that this system is safe and reliable. I can drive down to 1o miles left and will refill according to that. Of course the computer tries it best to guess city or highway driving pattern based on your recent driving, but even that changes rather fast and reasonable. (3.0 Hdi)
Dan595   
Fri May 27 2016, 01:40pm
Member No: #299
Mine seems accurate - range is usually 30-40 miles when the last segment of the gauge goes. Range goes from 20 to zero sometimes .... at times I've refilled with 72 litres so almost running on air, but I guess when the gauge showing nothing and the range is 0 then it is.

Around 5 mpg out on the fuel consumption though - typically reading 41.6 or 42.2 when I re-fill but I get 750 miles from a full tank unless there are a lot of short journeys.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club