C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Instrument display failed

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
AK   
Fri May 13 2016, 09:28am
Member No: #1388
For some months the instrument display has occasionally failed to light up, leaving me with a completely black panel, but with the head-up still working. Normal service is resumed the next (or subsequent) time of starting up. Now it seems to have failed completely, no illumination in ten days.

Lexia shows lots of voltage faults. Underbonnet fuse box has been swapped out to no avail. Battery is good.

Any suggestions? I'm assuming that changing the display itself may work, but has anybody come across this problem before?

thanks
Dan595   
Fri May 13 2016, 10:47am
Member No: #299
I'm sure that you know this, but make absolutely sure that the battery (and connectors) really are good before delving much further. Batteries can be devious and make all the right signals until actually called upon to do something serious.

My dash binnacle blew - but did so instantly rather than intermittently. Used a company called Speedorepair to fix it. You don't want to be buying a new one.
AK   
Fri May 13 2016, 02:00pm
Thanks - speedorepair say they can't get parts any longer, so can't attempt a fix. The unit's been taken out, connectors cleaned, then replaced, but no luck. the battery was new about 18 months ago (but will be double-checked), the alternator (replaced three years ago) is charging correctly and the starter motor has also been replaced about 18 months ago.

I'll carry on using it as the head-up works to tell me how fast I'm going and the central display can tell me when I need fuel, but I'm glad I've also got something reliable to drive - my CX!
gmerry   
Fri May 13 2016, 02:12pm
Member No: #21
AK, there's other repairers. One in Holland for example.
Search on this forum for Garage Johan Oldenhage in The Netherlands
- Click Here -

Regards
G
Valleybuoy   
Tue May 17 2016, 12:23pm
Member No: #1069
Hi. I have had exactly the same issue this week. Looked down and the instrument display blacked out. Head-up still working (thank goodness given the M3 50mph zone I negotiate every day).

When I fire her up - I get the lights eg engine picture show up for a nano (less than) second..

I have no clue what to do next..... Car @ c.100K miles. New battery 2-3 years ago - and new alternator 18 months ago - and car generally running on top form.
Valleybuoy   
Tue May 17 2016, 12:33pm
Member No: #1069
... I have it booked in @ PTS Wokingham (referred to me by someone on this board) - will update progress.
Tjensen   
Tue May 17 2016, 03:19pm
Member No: #954
I had symptoms 3 times : black screen, then it tries to restart and suddenly OK again. Failing harddisk ???? So far it is OK more than 99% of the time, so I leave it there....
AK   
Thu May 19 2016, 02:36pm
My problem is now fixed, the unit has been sent away for repair and arrived back working. Many thanks to Dave Ashworth who has maintained my cars for about twenty years - he found the repairer.
gmerry   
Thu May 19 2016, 03:34pm
Member No: #21
Hi AK, that's great news. I'm sure most folk have had their C6 instruments repaired rather than replaced. Just one thing, are you able to share with us the name of the repairer, or is it a secret?

G
AK   
Thu May 19 2016, 04:51pm
No secret, it's - Click Here -
Petrolhead   
Mon Sep 05 2016, 11:32am
Member No: #122
I am starting to see this failure, it failed and then came back to life during the MOT. My car is 100K and becoming expensive to run so as I know failure is imminent it might affect the keep it running or end of life equation.

Repair of the unit seems easy, but from the downloads getting it out of the car looks like a major piece of work - if the facia (dashboard) needs removing.

How hard (time consuming) is it to get the instrument panel out of the car?

Thanks

Chris
Petrolhead   
Mon Sep 05 2016, 11:51am
Member No: #122
In answer to my own question (I should have searched harder) - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club