C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Upgrade Brembo Front Brake Disc in High Carbon Cast Iron

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Apr 21 2016, 04:11pm
Member No: #21
Hi all, the 2.7HDi C6 is perhaps a bit marginal in braking performance (same rotors used for 2.2HDi and 3.0Petrol). One option for a minor "upgrade" without going for expensive slotted rotors is possibly to use a high carbon rotor - the claimed benefits include better heat dissipation and higher vibration damping.

Brembo make a high carbon brake disc for the Peugeot 407 / Citroen C6, 330mmOD, 30mm thickness rotor. The Brembo reference is 09.A089.10 and seems to be stocked in the UK by OpieOil and KamRacing - Click Here -.

Not used this myself, so not a recommendation. Just pointing out that the option exists.

Regards
G
Hattershaun   
Thu Apr 21 2016, 09:25pm
Member No: #320
I agree with the view on brakes of the 2.7HDi having experienced brake fade and a sense of insufficient stopping ability.
When I bought my first 2.7 C6 I looked at potentially upgrading the front brakes to those used on the 3.0HDi; discs are 10mm larger, with different callipers and pads.
Four years ago the cost of all the parts was £1500.
In the end I didn't carry out the upgrade.
The idea of only changing discs & pads sounds like a more cost effective way to improve the brakes.

gmerry   
Fri Apr 22 2016, 07:22am
Here's an extract from the Brembo catalogue, just to make sure I have the correct reference on the part number.

Regards
G

With a little more digging and help from this site - Click Here -,

here's some additional High Carbon brake disks for the front of the C6 2.7 HDi (and 2.2 and Petrol

Brembo 09.A089.10 Uncoated as already listed
Brembo 09.A089.11 Coated
ATE 24.0130-0206.1 Coated
Bosch 0 986 479 529
Tjensen   
Fri Apr 22 2016, 03:11pm
Member No: #954
All are the same, but a real difference in size for 3,0 Hdi, I bought EBC Ultimax Sport, but after 100 000km the originals are still OK
gmerry   
Mon May 09 2016, 07:30am
Hi all, I've fitted the Brembo High carbon rotors (Brembo 09.A089.10) Uncoated as already listed, to the front complete with EBC Ultramax pads. The High Carbon rotors were about £15 more than regular decent quality discs so not a major expense and took about a week to arrive from Germany. The supplier did not have the coated discs in stock and was unable to give a firm delivery date so I passed on them.

I also bled and purged out the brake circuits including the ABS circuit using Lexia, and a lot of old/black fluid came out when opening the ABS systems, that had not come out when just doing manual bleeds. One thing to be aware of is that bleeding the ABS system using Lexia is a two person operation (one to operate the computer and pump the brake pedal, the other doing the messy job of opening/closing the bleed nipples). Not for the faint hearted, the ABS pump makes a lot of noise/vibration and I think its essential to keep pumping the pedal whilst its doing its thing. Also have plenty of new brake fluid to hand: count on 400ml per wheel just for the ABS bleeding sequence.

Anyway, early days but car stops on a dime, best pedal feel the car has EVER had and dead smooth.

Highly recommended
G
gmerry   
Mon May 09 2016, 12:42pm
Just in case there might be a metallurgist amongst you lot, the High Carbon disks are made to an industry composition called GG15HC which has a lot of Silicon as well as higher Carbon plus minor alloying elements to obtain the desired high damping, thermal conductivity and crack propagation behaviour.

The paper by Chatterley and McNaughton provides further reading for this established 1990s technology. - Click Here -

Regards
G

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club