Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Conversion from RT3 to RT4/RT5. What do I need?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
AndreSMCXXMC6   
Fri Dec 21 2018, 04:36pm
Member No: #615
In my experience when re-installing the software 8.31 by inserting the CD and short cutting the reset points on the RT5 unit, it will re-format the harddisk first and then will install the partitions and content and then you upgrade the maps and mp3 files.
eke   
Sat Dec 22 2018, 09:37am
Member No: #624
Treurentner wrote ...

If you are interested, I´ll let you know how it works for me... once I´ve installed the RT5...

For sure I'm interested : )
321dave   
Sat Dec 22 2018, 11:19am
Member No: #614
Treurentner wrote ...

Hi guys,

many thanks for your replies. So I´m confident to get the cable soon .

@ eke: From what I´ve seen the hang ups on SSD were mostly caused by the missaligned partitions - Click Here -.
One of our German C6 guys did successful the following steps:

1. dismount the original Harddisk from RT5
2. store content of all 4 Partitions to your PC or Laptop
3. mount empty SSD (jumpered as a slave)in RT5
4. Install actual FW CD_RT4-5_SW_8.31 via RT5
5. dismount SSD from RT5 and align ALL 4 partitions with "partition wizzard103-free" via your local PC, cause only the first partition is correct aligned by FW (RT3/4/5 are running under VX works)
6. copy all your original HD files back to SSD via your PC
7. mount SSD into RT5 and enjoy

This way works perfect for him for over 3 years now, no hangups no delayed or interrupted mp3 playback. And the RT5 is pretty fast...
Trim of the SSD is minor important as long as the navigation files are unchanged (last version is 2016/17 and afaik there will no more future updates ) and until the mp3 files are not periodically changed. In case any hangups occure, SSD could be trimmed externally via PC.

Thats my verified theory

If you are interested, I´ll let you know how it works for me... once I´ve installed the RT5...

PS: most guys that used SSD´s and experiencing problems tried to clone (forensic copy) the full HD to SSD externally via PC - but this will never properly work...

Kind regards

Marco

Thanks for the great write up Marco. I'm inspired again, and it's Christmas! I might get the time to try and install the RT5 soon. It's another level again to replace the shock proof Hitachi Harddrives with a SSD! But sounds great if they are working properly. My old laptop got a new lease of life when I installed a SSD. I can only imagine the RT5 booting up like a greyhound!! Anyway, a very Happy Christmas to everyone on the Forum and best wishes for the new year.

Dave
Radox   
Wed Jun 09 2021, 10:08pm
Member No: #4044
I also have RT3, but want to convert to RT4. A friend of mine is breaking a car with RT4. If I take the whole head unit, complete with the cables behind AND the display, will I be able to simply put in in the place of my RT3, or will I have to purchase additional parts?

Also, a side question. Is replacing the manual steering column with an electrical one easy, if I have a spare electrial one, or will it be a nightmare?
321dave   
Thu Jun 10 2021, 07:31pm
Member No: #614
Radox wrote ...

I also have RT3, but want to convert to RT4. A friend of mine is breaking a car with RT4. If I take the whole head unit, complete with the cables behind AND the display, will I be able to simply put in in the place of my RT3, or will I have to purchase additional parts?

Also, a side question. Is replacing the manual steering column with an electrical one easy, if I have a spare electrial one, or will it be a nightmare?

Hi Radox,
I upgraded from RT3 to RT5 recently as I had everything i needed including a wiring connector kit from France which i only learned about from a forum member. Very helpful it was.

Anyway, during the lockdown i decided to go ahead as a project within a project (i think the actual C6 is the first project).

It’s all installed at this stage and working perfectly, so it can be done if you get all the parts together and use this forum for the little tricky issues which aren’t bad in fact. Speaking of which, i am thinking of writing a short PDF document soon with photos to help others on the forum who may be thinking of doing the RT5 conversion as a project soon, and also as a thanks for the help i received from the forum.

Kind regards
David

Fifilou   
Mon Jul 26 2021, 11:44am
Member No: #4774
Hi David, that would be great. Very interested in your howto!
Radox   
Wed Jun 08 2022, 12:43pm
I am finally getting to changing to the RT5. Is there another forum thread about it, or is it just this one?

If I have understood correctly, I must have the display, the RT5 head unit, and some cables between the two. The cables are the only item I am not sure about. Can I also get them from a breakdown donor vehicle together with the head unit, or it must be purchased separately?

*And, is there some PDF guide for the conversion?
jamescarruthers   
Wed Jun 08 2022, 01:24pm
Member No: #1548
I’d also be interested in a conversion kit.
Jas16   
Wed Jun 15 2022, 10:29pm
Member No: #2994
Hi There isn't a pdf but I completed the change from RT3 to RT4. Apart from the obvious, head unit and display, make sure the donor car you get the digital cable too.
Then I purchased a cable conversion from Phibu. He is based in France, but service was good and relatively quick.

However, for me, I had an issue with no sound, but I will need to find the facebook message whereby I had to solder/join a line from a pin on the main board to the back of the head unit.

Though I have also found recently, that my 'Dark' button doesn't work fully with the display, but I can live with it.

All in all, I am very happy as I can also use the boot CD changer.
Radox   
Sun Jul 03 2022, 04:55am
Jas16 wrote ...

Hi There isn't a pdf but I completed the change from RT3 to RT4. Apart from the obvious, head unit and display, make sure the donor car you get the digital cable too.
Then I purchased a cable conversion from Phibu. He is based in France, but service was good and relatively quick.

However, for me, I had an issue with no sound, but I will need to find the facebook message whereby I had to solder/join a line from a pin on the main board to the back of the head unit.

Though I have also found recently, that my 'Dark' button doesn't work fully with the display, but I can live with it.

All in all, I am very happy as I can also use the boot CD changer.

Good to hear you succeeded.

Which digital cable do you mean? The one connecting the display to the RT4 unit?

Have you also added a USB cable so you can play music via flash drives?

Btw, when (if) I am finally finished with the conversion of my RT3 to RT5, I will post the results here, along with a list of all the necessary parts PLUS their part numbers. Stay tuned.
Jas16   
Sun Jul 31 2022, 11:56pm
Member No: #2994
Hi I have added a USB cable, but not yet "activated" it. I have it routed to come out of the glovebox.

Yes I meant the same cable, I believe it is the same cable on RT4 as RT5, but not 100%.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club