Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Conversion from RT3 to RT4/RT5. What do I need?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
BlackPearlC6   
Fri Apr 22 2016, 05:01pm
Member No: #2600
Hello C6 Friends,

i'am new in this forum and want to introduce myself bevor I start with my question.
My name is Christian and i'am 40 years old and live in Germany. I'am owner of a Citroën C6, 2,7 HDI, FAP Exclusive, build in 2006.

Now my question.

Actually I have build in a RT3 Radio Navigation System but I want to update it to RT4 or RT5. My question is, has anybody done this before and can tell me if I only need the RT4 or RT5 Head Unit or do I need more parts for the conversion?

Kind regards
Christian
321dave   
Fri Apr 22 2016, 06:01pm
Member No: #614
Hello Christian,
and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately you will need to upgrade the screen and cabling to attach to the new RT4 or 5 headunit. I am also considering upgrading my RT3 system as well. If you do a search on the forum you will find some detailed discussion regarding how to remove the facia parts to upgrade the screen in particular. Best of luck.

BlackPearlC6   
Fri Apr 22 2016, 06:11pm
Member No: #2600
Hello 321dave,

thank you very much. That's very bad if I must change the display too. I remember some C6 owner who told me that a new display is not needed for the conversion. He told me that he only has changed the head unit and a cable, nothing else. I'am a little bit confused about that and try to find out which parts are really needed.
e3steve   
Sat Apr 23 2016, 04:28pm
Member No: #1163
BlackPearlC6 wrote ...

Hello 321dave,

thank you very much. That's very bad if I must change the display too. I remember some C6 owner who told me that a new display is not needed for the conversion. He told me that he only has changed the head unit and a cable, nothing else. I'am a little bit confused about that and try to find out which parts are really needed.
He may have changed an RT4 for an RT5(?)...

RT3 has a pair of optical links between the head unit and the display screen.
321dave   
Mon Apr 02 2018, 09:47am
e3steve wrote ...

BlackPearlC6 wrote ...

Hello 321dave,

He may have changed an RT4 for an RT5(?)...

RT3 has a pair of optical links between the head unit and the display screen.

I've finally after many years of planning to upgrade the RT3 to a ,RT5 have finally found a RT5 unit and screen from a 407 donor vehicle (hopefully hi-res screen as well). Now I need to fit the unit into the RT3 old home.
I know mostly what has to be changed out for the upgrade like wiring etc, but I'm still a bit unsure as to the exact procedures needed ( I will create a PDF doc for the forum from my installation in case it helps anyone else later on doing the 407 RT5 upgrade.

So, if anyone has any good tips and advice, I'd be grateful for any insights before I start the job, this coming week. Thanks again and I'll report back during the installation as well if anyone's interested. Thanks again for any help.

Regards
Dave.
jamescarruthers   
Mon Apr 02 2018, 11:20am
Member No: #1548
Will be paying close attention to this! Would really find Bluetooth music and calls very handy!
cruiserphil   
Mon Apr 02 2018, 01:30pm

Member No: #38
Thanks 321Dave,

Seriously considering it now for the 2007 car. As per James Carruthers, we find the bluetooth and hard drive music storage very convenient on the 2009 car.

Beatvregards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Mon Apr 02 2018, 11:52pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Thanks 321Dave,

Seriously considering it now for the 2007 car. As per James Carruthers, we find the bluetooth and hard drive music storage very convenient on the 2009 car.

Beatvregards,

Phil C.

Thanks James and Phil,
I'm more worried about the initial trim removal in fact, but I'll try prepare well in advance to avoid or hopefully avoid breaking anything. Phil I was just wondering do you have a USB socket connector to your RT5 in the centerconsole area under the armrest? James unfortunately from what I've read on the subject of Bluetooth with the RT5 system, Bluetooth protocols are for phone connectivity only but not for playing music directly from say an Iphone or Android. Phil would know about what the Bluetooth can do in RT5.

Regards
Dave

eke   
Tue Apr 03 2018, 04:05pm
Member No: #624
321dave wrote ...

So, if anyone has any good tips and advice, I'd be grateful for any insights before I start the job, this coming week. Thanks again and I'll report back during the installation as well if anyone's interested. Thanks again for any help.

Regards
Dave.

Hi,
I did this conversion last december, from RT3 to RT5. Hope you have got the hi-res display, it really is improvement. If it is from Peugeot 407, the last 3 numbers in the part number must be 580, that's hi-res.
I used plug-in solution for the wiring, but you can do it by changing pinouts and making the plugs by yourself. I ordered this - Click Here -

I have yet to do replacing hdd with cf-card, have to do that near future.

And the bluetooth in RT5 is only for calls.

Br Eke
jamescarruthers   
Tue Apr 03 2018, 08:05pm
Member No: #1548
Thanks for letting me know about the music/telephone bluetooth capabilities. I think I would still like it as the plan was to also have a Pure Highway 600 for DAB. This also does Bluetooth music.

The adapter mentioned for RT3 to 4/5 is news to me too. As it is just plug and play, I feel confident I could do it one day.

Thanks again!
321dave   
Wed Apr 04 2018, 12:28am
eke wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

Regards
Dave.

Hi,
I did this conversion last december, from RT3 to RT5. Hope you have got the hi-res display, it really is improvement. If it is from Peugeot 407, the last 3 numbers in the part number must be 580, that's hi-res.
I used plug-in solution for the wiring, but you can do it by changing pinouts and making the plugs by yourself. I ordered this - Click Here -

I have yet to do replacing hdd with cf-card, have to do that near future.

And the bluetooth in RT5 is only for calls.

Br Eke

Thanks Eke, that's very useful information to know how to check the display for Hi-res etc. The wiring loom also is something I didn't realise was available to buy to help with for setup. I was thinking if possible to install a USB socket into the storage area below the armrest, or indeed might be easier installing into the glove box area.

Eke, did you need to change the cable running down the pillar of the windscreen that comes from the GPS antenna? Or is that ok to leave if you buy the converter loom you mention.

Regards
Dave
eke   
Wed Apr 04 2018, 07:15am
Member No: #624
If you choose The Phibu-solution with antenna adapters, you don't need to change gps/gsm cables. Also Rt3 has one FM plug when Rt5 has two, so you have to remove the splitter box under dash and connect the fm-adapter cables.
If you have JBL-hifi, mention that also, when ordering.
321dave   
Wed Apr 04 2018, 10:49am
eke wrote ...

If you choose The Phibu-solution with antenna adapters, you don't need to change gps/gsm cables. Also Rt3 has one FM plug when Rt5 has two, so you have to remove the splitter box under dash and connect the fm-adapter cables.
If you have JBL-hifi, mention that also, when ordering.

Thanks very much Eke, thats brilliant. Many thanks for the link, I have it on order this morning. Even though I have cables purchased already, but I think I will go with this easier solution.

Regards
Dave
cruiserphil   
Wed Apr 04 2018, 04:41pm

Member No: #38
Hello 321Dave,

As far as we've experienced it's only for phone calls although it does synchronise your phones's phone book which is handy for incoming call ID and outgoing calls. We have a USB box in the glove compartment (came with the car). It is connected on a socket that looks like the equivalent socket on an RT3 for the CD changer. In fact the USB input is recognised as CD changer on the menu. If you insert a USB, files appear as CD1, 2 etc. and tracks as Track 1, Track 2 etc. It does not recognise album track information. The hard drive does - album information at least The only peculiar thing is when you unlock and wake up the car the sound system emits a single thump out of the speakers. I found this doesn't happen when the USB box is disconnected. Only a small annoyance.

Best regards,

Phil C.
321dave   
Wed Apr 04 2018, 06:56pm
cruiserphil wrote ...

Hello 321Dave,

As far as we've experienced it's only for phone calls although it does synchronise your phones's phone book which is handy for incoming call ID and outgoing calls. We have a USB box in the glove compartment (came with the car). It is connected on a socket that looks like the equivalent socket on an RT3 for the CD changer. In fact the USB input is recognised as CD changer on the menu. If you insert a USB, files appear as CD1, 2 etc. and tracks as Track 1, Track 2 etc. It does not recognise album track information. The hard drive does - album information at least The only peculiar thing is when you unlock and wake up the car the sound system emits a single thump out of the speakers. I found this doesn't happen when the USB box is disconnected. Only a small annoyance.

Best regards,

Phil C.

Thanks Phil, I'd be happy with the iphone connected to be honest. RT3 was fine in my experience but a second sim/number was a pain. Music would be the icing on the cake but the hard drive will do fine. Thanks for the USB mention. I'd like that setup as well. Will look into setting up the socket & cable to the centresole.

Regards
Dave
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club