C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

EOLYS 176

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
FreakyFrenchFan   
Wed Apr 06 2016, 08:00pm
Member No: #2057
According to the C6 maintenance guide the EOLYS 176 fluid should be checked every 80000 miles and replaced every 120000 miles. I have spoken with a few garages including the renowned BL Autos and all say that A- the car will say when the fluid is low and B- they only ever check and top up the fluid. They never fully renew it. So the question is...who is right? Citroen or the garages?
e3steve   
Thu Apr 07 2016, 06:13am
Member No: #1163
The DPF uses the fluid during regeneration, Simon -- burns it, in effect -- so 'checking' it isn't necessary (in reality).

176 is, apparently, made from unobtainium -- i.e. NLA -- but DPX42 is "the same", albeit still quite expensive.

Mine started the warnings at around 104k. When I replenished the EOLYS tank (attached, via releasable barbed-clips, to the underside l/h rear corner of the fuel tank) at 106k there was still over half a litre within; the reservoir holds circa 3.5 litres (mine just received the entire three litres that I bought). Ergo Cit's assessment of refilling at 120k equates to around 20k/½-l...

By the way, Citroën's menu price is £250 to do the job, including three litres of DPX42.
FreakyFrenchFan   
Thu Apr 07 2016, 12:52pm
I think the point I was trying to make is does the EOLYS fluid have a shelf life a bit like brake fluid. Does it only ever need a top up or does it need total replacement regardless of it's level?
e3steve   
Thu Apr 07 2016, 12:55pm
Member No: #1163
I don't believe that it's hygroscopic, Simon, but even if it was it probably wouldn't matter as it's used in the burn process, not as a hydraulic fluid.

It's never just changed; just topped up.
FreakyFrenchFan   
Fri Apr 08 2016, 05:12am
OK. But that contradicts what Citroen say in the service schedule. They say it needs replacing every 120000 miles.
gmerry   
Fri Apr 08 2016, 07:08am
Member No: #21
Aye, I think the point that Citroen are trying to make is that on average (based on predicted usage which will vary), the fluid that has been consumed will require to be replaced, in other words topped up. Perfectly clear to me. There might be something "lost in translation" but I'm sure there is no intention of semantic deception.

Regards
G
Dan595   
Fri Apr 08 2016, 11:54am
Member No: #299
It is my understanding that the service schedule indicates that the DPF/FAP additive fluid ('EOLYS') needs to be topped up at 80,000 miles and the DPF/FAP itself needs replacing at 120,000 miles.

The car will tell you when the fluid needs to be topped up and my dealer advised me to wait until it did so. The car did tell me eventually, but it took its time - the warning came at 165,000 miles (owned from 5,000 miles so never topped up before). I topped it up myself (bought a genuine kit via ebay) and re-set the 'additive counter' (there is no gauge on the tank, the ECU measures and records the additive injected at each fuel tank fill) with Diagbox.

I'm pretty religious about running the car to empty and always completely fill the tank - and I guess my mileage is 'DPF-friendly' - I've never had any problems with clogged DPF etc.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club