Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
kfairgray   
Mon Apr 04 2016, 10:32am
Member No: #2555
I have today purchased this Grey 2007 C6 Exclusive [link]

- Click Here -

It seems to have all the extras such as lounge pack seats, sunroof etc. This vehicle has been imported recently to New Zealand from Japan, and looks to be good condition [interior, paint work etc] I have wanted a C6 ever since they were first released, however in the early years they were just too expensive [In New Zealand anyway]

I have just sold my Renault Vel Satis - also a V6. This was a wonderful vehicle that I had for almost ten years - disposed of because it had became uneconomic to repair, and also because I really wanted a C6.

The C6 feels like a definate 'upgrade' to me and I am also moving at this time from a 15 year old vehicle [The Renault] to a ten year old machine [The C6]

The C6 I have acquired has a V6 petrol engine. My preference initially was to get my hands on a diesel C6, however none have appeared in the local market at the right time... However I have since read reviews that claim that the petrol C6 is quieter and costs less to keep on the road over time - we shall see...

I'll be behind the wheel in around two weeks time. I negotiated into the purchase a handful of mechanical work as recommended by Bishop's Garage in Auckland as part of a pre-purchase inspection. I look forward to being handed the keys, and then its magic-carpet-time!
FraserG   
Mon Apr 04 2016, 09:18pm
Member No: #2011
Welcome aboard,

I am a fellow C6 owner in Auckland so if you would like to compare the petrol V6 to the diesel at any time, feel free to call me. Fraser - 021 762 420

My offices are just around the corner from Bishop's although I get my car serviced by Phil Cotter on the North Shore. I live in Devonport.

I've had my 2008 2.7 HDi for 18 months now and I love it. No major work carried out yet. Better keep quiet and my fingers crossed. Just one shock absorber replaced.

I dare say you are very excited about your new purchase. I did note that the price dropped $5k from when the listing went up on TradeMe a few weeks ago. Sounds like a good price. Mine has done slightly less km's but doesn't have the TGV rear seats. This suits me as I've appreciated being able to fold the seats down a few times. Strangely mine also doesn't have the lane departure warning feature which I thought was standard on all Exclusives? My car is one of the NZ new cars.
kfairgray   
Tue Apr 05 2016, 09:29am
Thanks so much Fraser for your message:

It is nice to now be part of a very 'exclusive' club' if you'll excuse the pun...

The post purchase remorse for me is now almost over <sigh> I guess that this is perhaps normal for most big ticket item purchases? It helped that my wife loves the look of this vehicle [happy wife = happy life]

It is however somehow strange having parted with the cash and not to be behind the wheel However it is well worth it, as the work that Bishop's are now doing will bring the car up to scratch mechanically, before I put it through its paces. I must just be patient for two or three weeks now

Yes I was happy with the ultimate price. They actually have two more to sell [Pearce Brothers] a blue one and a black one [one one of these is on the web] - both have lower k's than the one I purchased, however mine was a higher spec, and had a more attractive sticker price. Also Bishop's gave me the confidence to purchase after looking it over so carefully from head to toe...

You are correct about the lounge pack preventing the seats folding down. I understand that in the UK this was a GBP 1,000 optional extra! It just might mean that I'll need to fit a tow bar at some point - I certainly will miss the massive luggage space that I had in the Renault Vel Satis - but you can't have everything, and some other things about the Renault I will not miss, like the suspension.

In common with your vehicle mine has no lane departure functionality. I'll just have to rely on a passenger to tell me if I have fallen asleep. I had thought that this was because it was an early edition being 2007... I am thinking that the cars sent to Japan were potentially an identical spec to those sold in New Zealand, having said that my recollection is that they never offered the petrol model in this country when they were new?

BTW: What did you need to pay for the new shock absorber including fitting, if you do not mind me asking?

Lastly, my elderly parents live in Devonport on Queens Parade, so I am frequently o. I'll come and say hello at some point and we can compare notes.

Cheers

Ken
FraserG   
Wed Apr 06 2016, 12:34am
Hi Ken,

Great. We live at Narrowneck so it will be good to catch up at some stage when you are visiting your parents.

Off hand I don't remember the shock absorber cost but it was hundreds rather than thousands. I found a UK supplier via this website which I passed onto my mechanic and he received the part plus others he ordered, very fast - he was impressed.

- Click Here -

I still haven't seen a Vel Satis in New Zealand. I'm sure I would have noticed!

If you ever feel the urge to get boring talking Citroens, give me a call or pop in for a coffee. You can see where are, contacts on my company website.

- Click Here -

Cheers Fraser
kfairgray   
Wed Apr 06 2016, 08:51am
Thanks Fraser

Thanks for the link for the parts supplier - I am sure this will come in handy. There is only one Vel Satis for sale in New Zealand at the moment: - Click Here -

I was tempted earlier on [especially as the price is so reasonable] however it was a case of 'been-there-done-that' and now was the time for the 'car-of-my-dreams' - rather than a repeat performance Having said that, whoever buys the Renault will get an amazing car in great condition for a very low price [because kiwis just don't know what it is]

And yes we can meet sometime in Devonport - just let me take possession of the vehicle first

Ken

cruiserphil   
Wed Apr 06 2016, 06:25pm

Member No: #38
Congratulations Ken,
Enjoy your C6 when you get it!

Best regards,

Phil C.
kfairgray   
Wed Apr 06 2016, 06:59pm
Thanks Phil: Do I read your entry correctly -- that you currently own two, and had one before that as well? If so is there a story behind that at all?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ken
kfairgray   
Wed Apr 06 2016, 07:15pm
A question for Fraser [and/or other folk in this part of the world]

What tyres do you typically use? On my huge Renault [which weighed almost two tonnes and gobbled up tyres] I couldn't see the point of the Michelin price point, relative to the Hankook alternative... To me they seemed just as quiet [The South Korean tyres] However I am open to being corrected here? Or is there something else available in New Zealand that I should be considering?

Regards

Ken
FraserG   
Wed Apr 06 2016, 09:34pm
Hi Ken

When I bought my C6 eighteen months ago the car yard had just fitted a set of new tyres. They are some unknown brand to me, Chinese I think, but they have never missed a beat. I've never heard a chirp out of them and I do like to push along at a brisk rate when conditions suit. I'll check what they are tonight. They don't seem to be showing much wear yet that I've noticed.

One nice thing was that while driving to work a month ago I noticed a warning light for service popped up which I thought was odd. So I checked the computer which warned me of low pressure on one tyre. I stopped at the gas station and checked and it was down to 17lbs pressure but looked absolutely normal to the eye. A simple pump up and everything was back to normal. The sensors work.

Cheers Fraser
kfairgray   
Fri Apr 08 2016, 09:14am
Another Question:

Fraser what have your done with your sat-nav screen - being a NZ new model, perhaps yours works here? Rapid Radio in Newton has quoted me to place a Kiwi TomTom screen directly in front of the original C6 satnav screen [utilizing the cavity] which, of course, being Japanese, does not work here...

Ken
cruiserphil   
Sun Apr 10 2016, 08:14pm

Member No: #38
kfairgray wrote ...

Thanks Phil: Do I read your entry correctly -- that you currently own two, and had one before that as well? If so is there a story behind that at all?

Ken

Sent you a PM Ken!
FraserG   
Sun Apr 10 2016, 08:59pm
Hi Ken

My Sat/Nav all works here with local maps. Can't say I need to use it though. Every once in a while I push the button just to watch the screen display! Most of the technology I'm afraid I've ignored including a Parrot hands free phone set up. Not sure why it was fitted over and above the system which came with the car? Anyway, I don't bother with my phone in the car. Perhaps I should get someone to show me how it works?

The tyres fitted to my car are Triangles which I must say seem to be excellent. They are Chinese and look inexpensive on Amazon.
FraserG   
Sun Apr 10 2016, 09:03pm
Me again!

Why would you fit a TomTom screen in front of the fitted screen in the car? The screen also provides all your other computer/stereo info etc which you need surely?

Cheers Fraser
kfairgray   
Mon Apr 11 2016, 08:33am
Thanks Fraser

We may be at cross-purposes here: My C6 has two screens:

One large one at the top of the dashboard, and a smaller one lower down. The larger one [i] was for Sat-Nav only? [i] the lower one seems to provide all of the other info re air-con and stereo etc etc...

It may be that yours has a single screen? - both for Sat-Nav plus other info on the one screen - am I right here?

This is the reason that I considered the larger screen to be potentially redundant in New Zealand [only tracking Japanese Satellites]

Please let me know your configuration [two screens or one] I am not sure as to what the NZ new spec was...

Cheers & Thanks again

Ken

FraserG   
Tue Apr 12 2016, 03:09am
Hi Ken

Mine looks like all the C6 Exclusive dash boards I've seen in photos with one large central screen high on the dashboard. My screen carries all the stereo/sat nav/air-conditioning/fuel use/trip computer/tyre, oil and water temperature info etc.

I haven't seen a two screen configuration.

Cheers Fraser
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club