Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Stuck Locking Wheel Nuts

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Rich   
Thu Sep 13 2012, 02:17pm
Member No: #542
I have a typical Citroen/Peugeot problem in that my locking wheel nut key has broken and my wheel nuts are stuck. As I need to get the front wheels off rapidly to do my ball joints, has anyone here used a 3rd party locking wheel nut remover that works? I have bought replacement wheel nuts, just need to get them off!
cruiserphil   
Thu Sep 13 2012, 04:03pm

Member No: #38
Rich,

Gmerry has done a post showing how to drill them out. I had the same problem but my local Friendly Citroen garage had a can full of assorted keys for such an eventuality. They found a key that fitted and I replaced the bolts with standard - so no more keys for me!!!
Rich   
Thu Sep 13 2012, 04:48pm
Member No: #542
OK, I'll check that out. Just wanted an easier option! I also went to my local (not so friendly) Citroen garage and they said they don't have master keys and wanted to charge me £150 to drill them out! I hate that garage.....
drummond   
Tue Sep 18 2012, 10:51am
Member No: #238
The Rac/AA have the universal aftermarket thingie, if you're a member....
gmerry   
Wed Sep 19 2012, 07:55am
Member No: #21
Hi all, the C6 uses locking wheel bolts not locking wheel nuts. Ergo a completely different method needed for emergency removal. The RAC device may not work?

Regards
G
drummond   
Wed Sep 19 2012, 11:08am
Member No: #238
No, it does work. Well, it did on mine.....
robingc33   
Mon Feb 29 2016, 09:44pm
Member No: #2303
In case it's of interest/use to anyone who's lost their locking wheel nut key...

I recently thought I'd lost mine and, not having the key code (cause I'd recently bought the set myself and forgot to record it) and having rung my Citroen dealer who said they couldn't identify it from the pin layout, decided to photograph and measure my bolt-head angular pin/socket positions and compare it with as many as I could on sale secondhand on ebay to try and find a s/h one.

Measurement showed that the angular pin separation is 15deg, so there are
potentially 24 pin positions round the circle.

I decided that, if I could find a s/h key having at least three pins in the right place, I could grind off the "wrong" fourth pin and it would probably work fine for long enough to remove the four coded bolts.

This I did and it worked perfectly with no hint of slippage or problem

Meantime I'm intrigued to try and crack the four digit code, though my long-past school maths has left me struggling a bit at this distance to work out the number of unique permuations, etc. From looking on ebay I compiled a spreadsheet listing eighteen pin images and their codes; but I'm still thinking!

NB: I found out the hard way that there are two patterns of key, superficially of the same outer size, but with different internal milling diameters, the smaller ones don't fit the C5 & C6 and seem to usually have only a four digit code stamped on top (starting with "N"?), whereas the correct sized keys seem to always have an "E" prefix stamped above the four digit code on the head.

When searching for these keys on ebay I searched with "Peugeot". They are the same thing but more prolific in searches than those labelled "Citroen"

...and I found my missing key eventually - it was still attached to the top of one of the wheel bolts, hidden behind the hubcap; I'd obviously not noticed the wheel brace had come off without it! derr

Robin

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club