Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

@ 93K miles - is now a good time to get a timing belt change?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Trainman   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 06:51am

Member No: #86
Here's the picture the link sent me to

gmerry   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 08:03am
Member No: #21
Hi 321Steve, when it comes to using your comprehensive kit, keep in mind that the most difficult pin to install is the crankshaft locking pin installed at the starter ring gear end (transmission housing): its difficult because the access is so poor. There are workaround where you have to modify the tool (there are links on this forum showing how). One thing to keep in mind with regards to crankshaft locking is that although this is the way that the "book" says it is to be done, E3steve has "proven" that there is no need to lock the crankshaft at all and it will just stay put quite nicely on its own.

Myself, I've only ever personally changed the cambelt on a 4 pot where mostly I would certainly want to lock the crankshaft. I guess with the compression overlap of a V6 there isn't the same issue.

Anyhow, from all accounts locking the crankshaft is the most fiddly part of the entire job so not doing this might be a very good idea.

Please wade in if I've got any of this wrong.

Regards
G
cruiserphil   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 09:44am

Member No: #38
Steve,

Didn't spot the link, thanks
321dave   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 10:18am
Member No: #614
cruiserphil wrote ...

Steve,

Didn't spot the link, thanks

Hi all,
Steve, I think something might be going wrong with the site, as Norman had trouble a few days ago posting photos. Then yesterday, I suddenly had trouble also!
I tried everything and still it would not allow any photo(s) through to the forum! I was using my IPad at the time and the largest upload was 1mb. Thanks for posting up the picture I was trying to refer to. Will be using that kit hopefully in a weeks time.

Just to report on the actual kit. Quality is ok, the plastic blister case latches can almost break your hands trying to open it up. I now use a screw driver to open it and stand on it to close it
Dan595   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 10:21am
Member No: #299
Re: what the fixed price offer contains, I think my dealer did belt, idlers, tensioner for £290. They also did the water pump and aux. belt for cost of parts only.

They were similarly helpful when doing the DMF change - in effect charged the fixed price for the clutch replacement plus the cost of the DMF itself.
Trainman   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 10:41am

321dave wrote ...

I think something might be going wrong with the site, as Norman had trouble a few days ago posting photos. Then yesterday, I suddenly had trouble also!
I tried everything and still it would not allow any photo(s) through to the forum! I was using my IPad at the time and the largest upload was 1mb.

will have a look, we did have a couple of issues the other day, but everything should be working now.....
e3steve   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 11:16am
Member No: #1163
Valleybuoy wrote ...

Thanks Dan... someone posted a thread somewhere on the site about a 96K C6 belt going, and the car being sold for scrap. So erring on the cautious side..

It was me! I posted on the forum about the 97k mile 2.7 C6 on eBay which was being broken for parts (by Citropro) after it's timing belt failed.
e3steve   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 11:20am
321dave wrote ...

Hi Steve,
I bought a full locking kit for the various cams and I believe there's one in the kit to lock the water pump pulley so the bolts can be undone.
Only issue I have is working out what's what in this kit? It wasn't the dearest bit of kit but I hope it's good enough I think it should be to do the timing belt job.

Any idea which pins in the picture below correspond to the the ones needed to lock the cams and which one goes for example to lock the water pump. Thanks again for sharing your expertise with the forum.

I cracked-off all the pulley's screws before letting the tension off the old belt, Dave; just smacked the breaker bar with the heel of my palm.
e3steve   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 11:26am
Trainman wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

I think something might be going wrong with the site, as Norman had trouble a few days ago posting photos. Then yesterday, I suddenly had trouble also!
I tried everything and still it would not allow any photo(s) through to the forum! I was using my IPad at the time and the largest upload was 1mb.

will have a look, we did have a couple of issues the other day, but everything should be working now.....
I think Norman's issue was to do with image filesize, Steve. I picked up his files from the links and compressed them using Microsoft Picture Manager (bundled with MS Office Pro) and posted them with no problems.
321dave   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 06:43pm
e3steve wrote ...

321dave wrote ...

Hi Steve,
I bought a full locking kit for the various cams and I believe there's one in the kit to lock the water pump pulley so the bolts can be undone.
Only issue I have is working out what's what in this kit? It wasn't the dearest bit of kit but I hope it's good enough I think it should be to do the timing belt job.

Any idea which pins in the picture below correspond to the the ones needed to lock the cams and which one goes for example to lock the water pump. Thanks again for sharing your expertise with the forum.

I cracked-off all the pulley's screws before letting the tension off the old belt, Dave; just smacked the breaker bar with the heel of my palm.

Thanks for that tip Steve. I probably wouldn't have thought of that in fact. It's like cracking the bolts on the wheels before jacking the car up. Any other bits of advice. G, mentioned the locking pin being difficult to access. I'm also following this tutorial, I think you mentioned it previously - Click Here -
Norman   
Fri Feb 19 2016, 06:43pm
Member No: #364
What I found strange was it allowed me to post the first of three then refused to post the second and third it's as there is a maximum file size and the allocation was full
321dave   
Sat Feb 20 2016, 01:31am
[quote]
What I found strange was it allowed me to post the first of three then refused to post the second and third it's as there is a maximum file size and the allocation was full
[/quote1455931276

Still trying!
321dave   
Sat Feb 20 2016, 01:39am
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote1455931276

Still trying!
Trainman   
Sat Feb 20 2016, 08:56am

I've started a new thread for the picture issues rather than tie up this thread - Click Here -
321dave   
Sat Feb 20 2016, 04:18pm
Trainman wrote ...

I've started a new thread for the picture issues rather than tie up this thread - Click Here -

Many thanks Steve
Go to page   <<        >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club