Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

@ 93K miles - is now a good time to get a timing belt change?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Top Thanked Forum Posts: Today | Week | Month | Year | All time | Most Thanks Given: To member | By user
Author Post
Valleybuoy   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 09:50am
Member No: #1069
Booked in for a service @ Citroen. A timing belt change came up as a recommendation. I thought 160K Miles was the lifetime.

They offer a replacement for £295 fully-fitted. So I am going to go for it. Are most other C6 users doing this in around 100K?
Dan595   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 09:59am
Member No: #299
Did mine at just over 120K miles - in effect at the '140K miles' service. I thought it made some sense to change early, do it during a cheaper service, and if I made it to 250K miles I'd be happy to pay for a second belt change...

The fixed price deal is very good, particularly for 2.7.
Valleybuoy   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 10:11am
Member No: #1069
Thanks Dan... someone posted a thread somewhere on the site about a 96K C6 belt going, and the car being sold for scrap. So erring on the cautious side..

A 2.2 Manual exclusive! now that's pretty rare!
gmerry   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 10:35am
Member No: #21
Hi Valleyboy, pretty sure the official recommendations are based on age or miles whichever comes first. Mine was built 2007, sold new in 2008 so I will change next year. The Citroen deal appears to be very good: I would ask a few questions as to the parts they are replacing and extend that if need be to everything that rotates at that end of the engine (water pump, idler pulleys, alternator pulley, alternator belt, alternator tensioner pulley). In terms of the cambelt quality, I've always thought Dayco or SKF were pretty good brands. What are Citroen supplying?

E3steve has done most/all? of this so read up on his posts.

Regards
G
321dave   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 11:54am
Member No: #614
gmerry wrote ...

Hi Valleyboy, pretty sure the official recommendations are based on age or miles whichever comes first. Mine was built 2007, sold new in 2008 so I will change next year. The Citroen deal appears to be very good: I would ask a few questions as to the parts they are replacing and extend that if need be to everything that rotates at that end of the engine (water pump, idler pulleys, alternator pulley, alternator belt, alternator tensioner pulley). In terms of the cambelt quality, I've always thought Dayco or SKF were pretty good brands. What are Citroen supplying?

E3steve has done most/all? of this so read up on his posts.

Regards
G

That sounds like very good advice from G.
I bought Dayco myself as it appears to be what Citroen were using, and the aux belt is also Dayco if you buy from the Citroen Dealers, but SKF is also a very good brand. I will (haven't started yet) be using E3steves instructions when doing the timing belt. Hopefully at the end of this month.

Trainman   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 03:38pm

Member No: #86
I think it's sound advice to take Citroen up on this, spoke to a mechanic who has a C6, his words "Let Citroen do it, It's a pig"
321dave   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 04:32pm
Trainman wrote ...

I think it's sound advice to take Citroen up on this, spoke to a mechanic who has a C6, his words "Let Citroen do it, It's a pig"

Also just also to mention, the fixed service price sounds very cheap. I was quoted €786 in Dublin to have the timing belt and water pump changed. I'm not actually sure as G mentioned it included all the various pulleys and tensioner. I guess at that price it must do.
e3steve   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 10:42pm
Member No: #1163
Trainman wrote ...

Lazy mechanic then, Steve! I did mine at the retreat in France; no proper facilities; just a few rocks & logs to drive the car onto for elevation. An old Draper ½"-, ⅜"- & ¼"-drive socket set, a few ratchet combination spaniards, Allen keys and a 1-tonne trolley jack with no bogey wheels... I just took my time and dove in!

I'm no mechanic; I'm an electrical engineer.

EDIT: Opening gambit stated, the Citroën menu price for the job is worth the money!
e3steve   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 10:57pm
Out in the sticks, day 1:

FraserG   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 02:28am
Member No: #2011
Great picture e3steve.
e3steve   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 08:04am
FraserG wrote ...

Great picture e3steve.

I forgot to mention: I also removed the tailbox, lowered the exhaust system, partially-dropped the fuel tank and changed the n/s/r ABS sensor whilst the car was on my 'ramp' there. 12mm stone chippings spread over bare earth is not the most comfortable surface to have to shuffle about on, but I had a half-sheet of 5mm plywood under the car, making sliding around easier.

I'd already previously replaced the sensor once, and solder/heatshrink-grafted it onto the old cable where it exits from above the fuel tank, but that didn't cure the ABS/ESP/Handbrake/Satnav issue! The bonus here was that I'd already removed the old sensor and cleaned/silicon-greased the orifice in the hub, so removal of the wheel wasn't necessary in order to replace it from beneath the car.

I have more images of the timing belt job somewhere on one of my devices; I'll post them in this thread when I locate them. I removed the front bumper so that I could move the top of the cooling radiators forward to change out the leaking coolant inlet fitting (thanks for the heads-up on that one, cruiserphil!). Said operation also requires dropping the a/c compressor and removing the alternator... Anyways, bumper removal does facilitate easier access to carry out the timing belt thing; it allows you get closer-in, at knee level, making the job less uncomfortable when you're continually bent over the engine bay for a few hours!

This bonnet-elevation tip also really helps access - Click Here -
e3steve   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 08:43am
Other images:

321dave   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 08:19pm
Hi Steve,
I bought a full locking kit for the various cams and I believe there's one in the kit to lock the water pump pulley so the bolts can be undone.
Only issue I have is working out what's what in this kit? It wasn't the dearest bit of kit but I hope it's good enough I think it should be to do the timing belt job.

Any idea which pins in the picture below correspond to the the ones needed to lock the cams and which one goes for example to lock the water pump. Thanks again for sharing your expertise with the forum.

Strangely I can't post any photos of the kit at the moment idir, but I have attached a link to the kit online.
- Click Here -
cruiserphil   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 09:40pm

Member No: #38
Some kits have items for all applications. Need to see the piccies!
Best regards,
Phil C,
frozenbeard81   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 11:29pm
Member No: #2503
Love the 'jacked up' picture
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club