service advice on my 2007 2.7 hdi Lignage

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
hs   
Tue Feb 16 2016, 06:52pm
Member No: #2494
Hi Guys,
My Lignage is a 57k mile car serviced quite regularly by the previous owner by Swindon Motors and seems to me to be pretty A OK. The car drives like a dream. I don't intend to fix what ain't broke, but I've been used to fixing my own DS's and a CX. I've now moved in to the 21st century and would like to know what advice you have re servicing yourself. I wonder whether it's a good idea to get a Superscan Solo as mentioned in posts here and some sort of Windows machine (which OS?- I tend to use Macs). I'm used to peering in the LHM vat of course, and it seems LDS is somewhat hygroscopic like brake fluid, so lots to learn.
cheers
Hans
gmerry   
Tue Feb 16 2016, 07:32pm
Member No: #21
Hi Hans, is this your first post? If so, welcome to the forum. There's a core of DIY maintainers here and plenty of experience. Myself, I've had mine since 2009 and have done all the routine and repair work myself, other than some initial dealer support as part of the guarantee.

Regarding the LDS, don't worry at all about the very tiny amount of moisture that might be absorbed: the reservoir is normally sealed and you only open it when working on the suspension or JACKING UP THE CAR WITH THE WHEELS HANGING.

You will need a diagnostic computer. Most users have a clone Diagbox or older Lexia but these have no support and can be a problem to get them to work (will need a virtual XP laptop for example). The PSA brand specific Superscan Solo should be a pretty stable option by comparison.

Regarding issues on the C6, I would suggest that the cooling system is potentially the biggest area of concern, especially the tendency of the thermostat housing to split open and lose all the coolant. Ford/PSA in their wisdom located the coolant temperature sensor such as you won't see any indicated gauge problem until the engine is cooked. So IMHO, this is one area that should not be left alone until it fails. Otherwise, no really tricky areas for someone time served on the older big Citroens.

Regards
G

Tjensen   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 03:25pm
Member No: #954
I am tempted by the Superscan Solo, because it can run om my ordinary Windows 7 Laptop (is that right ?) The installation of the Diagbox onto an old XP seemed too troublesome. For my 2010 3,0 Hdi I find support for the brakes in the list, and a lot of things are the same as the 2,7. But is the engine supported ? I cant find it on the list
Trainman   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 03:39pm

Member No: #86
I believe diagbox will run on Windows 7 onwards, Haven't tried it yet.........
gmerry   
Wed Feb 17 2016, 03:40pm
Tjensen, whats the ECU designation for the 3.0HDi.

For the 2.7HDi, its a Siemens SID201, exactly the same as installed on the other Ford marques (Jaguar and Landrover) with the same engine. Suggest you search on a LR/Jaguar forum for the ECU designation.

If you can't find the listing,,I'll contact their UK technical help

Cheers
G

Possibly Bosch EDC17CP11 for the 3.0 Diesels???
hs   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 03:58pm
Thanks gmerry. This is indeed my first post if you don't include the 'introduction'. It's really reassuring to know the C6 owners group! Although I have a considerable bit of experience spannering on my D's and my previous CX, the computer diagnostics side is a new experience, and I was thinking I'd buy the Superscan solo initially to get over the novelty of accessing bits on the car just like you do the firmware on a camera! I know you plug unit in the cubby in the centre console armrest. Presumably there's a usb connector that then goes into a Windows machine (running OS7). I presume the software to install on the Windows machine comes with the Superscan unit.

I'll try to have a gander and find the thermostat housing you speak of. I presume if it's on the way out there will be some seepage or cracking on it.

As to raising the car, presumably just jacking up one corner isn't going to require unscrewing the reservoir cap. If I do take the car to my buddy's lift, I would like to have a go at locating the dpf adn having a proper look underneath.

Going over the road humps at DS speeds doesn't seem to be a good idea When I go over the humps I notice a bit of knocking (though nothing serious), which I presume could be rubber bushings on the anti roll bar or perhaps ball joints.
cheers
Hans
gmerry   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 04:15pm
Hi Hans, we should probably start a Superscan Solo thread... but check out the various Utube videos describing how it works. You will need a Bluetooth laptop because the dongle that you plug into the EODBII port under the armrest, has no physical connection with the laptop.

Regards
G
Dan595   
Thu Feb 18 2016, 05:29pm
Member No: #299
Trainman wrote ...

I believe diagbox will run on Windows 7 onwards, Haven't tried it yet.........

I run Diagbox on my Windows 7 laptop, have done for a few years. I wouldn't call it polished (but then I suspect no clone is), but it works when I need it to (only four times). Never got Lexia to work on Windows 7.
hs   
Mon Feb 22 2016, 04:40pm
Guys,
thanks for the tips on the readers. I performed my first oil change over the weekend using a Pela vacuum pump (Machinemart) in the dipstick tube. I did it this way so as not to get under the car , removing the undertray, the mess, the neighbours, etc. Went to Europarts for the Mann oil filter (open on Sundays, amazingly. Works well.

Following gmerry's advice, I spotted what I believe is the plastic thermostat housing towards the front left of the engine, which looks fine.
cheers,
Hans
gmerry   
Mon Feb 22 2016, 05:39pm
High Hans, couple of points:-

The "thermostat housing" you checked is probably the deaerator/swirl chamber for the coolant flow to the heater /EGR cooler. Trace the attached small pipe (about 8mm od) back to the coolant tank to confirm we are talking the same thing.

The actual thermostat housing is buried deep in the vee underneath the inlet butterfly housing. You will need an inspection camera or quite a lot of dismantling to see what is happening with it. My advice is just replace the thing before it bursts and you destroy your engine.

On the Superscan Solo front, these are not really EODB readers: more a computer diagnosis system that allows one to actively function test components, configure components, see live values etc. Reading EODB codes is just a small part of that.

Regards
G
hs   
Mon Feb 22 2016, 11:14pm
Thanks for the correction gmerry. After I read your post I did a search and found a post from e3steve about the procedure to remove the thermostat housing. It does indeed seem quite buried. Is it possible to locate a workshop manual for the C6 and is it of value?
thanks again,
Hans
Trainman   
Tue Feb 23 2016, 07:13am

Member No: #86
Most things can be found in the technical documents - Click Here - but if you can find something then please ask

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club