C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Introduce yourself

Valvoline Maxlife engine oil

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
ChrisW   
Mon Feb 19 2024, 07:01pm
Member No: #1335
My 15 year old C6 (2.7 HDi) has done just over 90k miles. I have always changed the oil every 7000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes earlier, with Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 (ACEA C2/C3, as recommended for the C6). The engine runs beautifully but I am thinking of changing to a heavier grade of oil, as recommended by Mobil for older engines.

Having done some research, I planned to switch to Valvoline MaxLife 5W30 Full Synthetic ACEA C3. This retains the same viscosity and SAPs specification as the Mobil but has an additive system specially formulated for higher mileage engines. It gets great reviews from the USA where very high mileages are much more common than here in the UK.

But when I went to order it online, the various websites said it was not suitable for the C6. I assume this is because it is not approved by Citroen and not because it is really unsuitable. After all, it’s the same spec as the “approved” oils. Has anyone used this oil or knows of a reason why I should not use it in my C6? Any advice much appreciated.
Tjensen   
Mon Apr 08 2024, 11:31am
Member No: #954
Yes, it is the C3 instead of C2 that excludes it from formal recommendation. But your question is important and you can read many contributions inside this forum that points to our engines being recommended oils on the "thin" side and with the problems linked to lubrication/oilpump a thicker oil (C3, 5-40) may be a good solution, especially after long mileage. I am in this crossroad myself after 250 000 km with my 3.0 hdi with only 5-30 C2 oil.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club