Stuck rear spoiler

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
robthewad   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 10:48am
Member No: #157
Hi Everyone
I am looking for help with a spoiler problem. Returning from France yesterday the spoiler operated as normal being fully deployed at 80mph. However it now refused to retract despite doing the maintenance routine with the wiper switch a couple of times and again taking the car in excess of 80mph on more than one occasion. It is just stuck at fully deployed. Can anyone advise please.
Saw 3 C6s in France (one a Dutch reg) and hope to see more when I go to Spain & Portugal soon.
Thanks in anticipation,
Rob Wadley (robthewad)

GJ56XPX C6 Exclusive Black, Lounge pack
Prev Citroens
Xantia TD
BX19rd Estate
XM 2.1 TD
C5 2.2 TD Estate
nouveaucitroenist   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 11:12am
Member No: #2222
I have had the same trouble and found a generous dose of WD40 or the like on the tracks and pushrods has solved the problem up until now. Overzealous washing seems to cause it to stick... I have read on here a 'close' signal is sent when the car reaches around 10mph if it is in the open position. So far this has worked for me but I intend to uncover the motor on the inside of the bootlid to clean and lubricate the motor and cables etc. There is a manual override facility in there to retract the spoiler if all else fails. There is a quite a bit of info on this site about the spoiler. Good luck
gmerry   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 11:47am
Member No: #21
Hi WD40 is not really a lubricant: use a waterproof grease on the actuating sliders and something like Ferrosol on the linkages.

The spoiler should be lubricated at the same frequency as the door hinges (and should have been included in the scheduled maintenance routines, to be carried out by the dealer)

Regards
G
robthewad   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 04:18pm
nouveaucitroenist wrote ...

I have had the same trouble and found a generous dose of WD40 or the like on the tracks and pushrods has solved the problem up until now. Overzealous washing seems to cause it to stick... I have read on here a 'close' signal is sent when the car reaches around 10mph if it is in the open position. So far this has worked for me but I intend to uncover the motor on the inside of the bootlid to clean and lubricate the motor and cables etc. There is a manual override facility in there to retract the spoiler if all else fails. There is a quite a bit of info on this site about the spoiler. Good luck

robthewad   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 04:24pm
Many thanks to both for your help - will lubricate and see what happens and let you know in due course.
Thanks again
Rob Wadley (robthewad)
userpco   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 06:46pm
Member No: #622
nouveaucitroenist wrote ...

I intend to uncover the motor on the inside of the bootlid to clean and lubricate the motor and cables etc. There is a manual override facility in there to retract the spoiler if all else fails. There is a quite a bit of info on this site about the spoiler. Good luck

There is a useful diagram detailing all the parts of the Moving Spoiler which can be downloaded from this web-site.
Mine was stuck in the fully deployed position. I removed bootlid cover to expose the respective motor and cable drive assemblies. I removed the motor which actuates the 2 drive cables...Rack and pinion principle...As the cables were not under tension to hold the deflector deployed I am assuming that the motor drives the cables against the resistance of the leaf spring (not visible from inside the boot) and an electrical controlled ratchet holds the deflector in position. This theory is supported by the fact that when starting to dismantle the slide assembly having removed the fin, I fortunately realised in time that the slide was under considerable tension and decided this was not the way to go about dismantling the spoiler.
Last Friday I asked Forge motors to have a look at it. He had a Quick go with a diagnostic tool which did not show any errors. I booked in for tomorrow when he was to try a different test. Low and behold on the way home it retracted having been 3 weeks in the max. deployed position.
This lunchtime it stayed fully deployed when I stopped but retracted with the maintenance/wiper procedure
Watch this space!
robthewad   
Sun Jan 24 2016, 07:24pm
Very helpful, many thanks
Rob
userpco   
Mon Jan 25 2016, 12:33pm
Sorry I got it wrong! Having said 'there is no means of manually retracting the Spoiler' The motor has an Alan key socket and in the boot toolbox is a crank handle (the manual says it's for the Sunroof).
I have tried cranking the motor while it is in normal position and when fully open (maintenance/wiper activated) but apart from a quarter turn taking up the slack it won't budge (the spoiler is in working order at the moment)
Any suggestions as to how to release the 'locking system' to allow cranking?
robthewad   
Mon Jan 25 2016, 08:40pm
Hi All
Lubrication worked and all now working well. Many thanks for the advice given - much appreciated
Rob Wadley
(robthewad)
userpco   
Sun Jan 31 2016, 05:27pm
Spoiler behaving erratically, so rather than having it stuck in the fully deployed position again I have disconnected the motor. No error msg. when trying the maintenance routine or travelling above 40 mph.
Steve said: "It will happen again".... "OH no it won't!"
Juggernaut-j   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 12:04pm
Member No: #2947
I've just bought my c6 a couple of months ago when I got home the other day the spoiler stayed up, after a bit of thought and trying to takes it through the wiper means of working it and a few drives round the block I used wd40 on it when I went out the next day it retracted an works normal now will just have to make sure the linkage is lubricated
John
gmerry   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 12:50pm
Member No: #21
Possibly it would be useful to read the archives, via a google search. WD40 is not a lubricant!

regards
Juggernaut-j   
Mon Jan 09 2017, 02:07pm
Member No: #2947
Hi
I did read the archives that's how I found the link to a stuck spoiler, on my reply I said what I did with mine when it stuck, I also know that wd40 isn't a lubricant as I mentioned at the end of my post I will have to keep the linkage lubricated

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club