C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

erratic starting - timing sensor issue?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
adrianvp   
Wed Jan 20 2016, 01:04am
Member No: #704
I have a problem with starting. A couple of months ago I did a timing belt change (My brother is a mechanic and owns a workshop. In truth one of his mechanics did most of the work with some help from me). A problem became evident just after we finished namely that the battery started going flat on the way home from the workshop. I attempted to get the car back to the workshop but the battery went rapidly dead to the point where the engine stopped in gear making the car immovable. It was dragged onto a lift truck and taken to the workshop. There we charged the battery and worked out that the alternator drive clutch had failed. Once that was replaced the car was driveable but there were all sorts of faults showing on his diagnostic device (Not a citroen (Lexia)one) I took the car to a PSA expert and he reset most of the errors (things such as the speedo and ABS not working because the speed sensor had to be reset)
However after I arrived home (650km )I noticed that the car was starting erratically. About half the time it would start on the first turn of the key, but the rest of the time it would crank over well but sound like it was never going to start. I found that taking the key out, counting to 10, turning the key on and waiting until all computer functions were finished e.g. oil level ok message off, I could get a start on the second, third or occasionally fourth go.
I took my car to the local dealer and asked him to connect up his diagnostic device and simply tell me what messages he got. He got three: a P0016 fault, a P1351 fault and a U1205 fault
More about the second and third later other that to say that the U1205 was probably an uncorrected hang over from the alternator failure and flat battery
The P0016 fault is described as a 'cylinder reference signal incorrect value recieved" fault

What I believe may have happened is that when we moved wires out of the way in order to replace the timing belt we may have caused and intermittent fault to either or both of the crankshaft or camshaft timing sensor wiring.
Does someone know where the camshaft timing sensor is and which wires go into it.
Similarly with the crankshaft sensor although given that the engine runs oK once it starts I suspect the camshaft sensor because I was told that it is only used during starting.
My understanding of the P1351 fault ( which is "pre heating relay circuit") is that it will only affect starting in cold weather >5deg C and it is currently summer here so the problem is lower priority. Given that where I live winter morning temps can be down to -5C it will have to be attended to before next winter
Sorry if this post is a bit long
gmerry   
Wed Jan 20 2016, 09:26am
Member No: #21
Hi Adrian (assumed name).

The camshaft sensor is mounted on the front of the engine face (to the left of the dipstick tube).It is item 5 in the attached diagram. The crankshaft sensor is also mounted on the front face, at the transmission bellhousing end of the engine, item 6. I'm guessing that unless you replaced the injection pump belt, you probably did not disturb the crank sensor.

If you are still struggling to find the sensor, try and find a Land Rover mechanic who has some knowledge of the 2.7 TDV6 fitted to Discovery models. It will be the same location (but moved for the N/S mounting) and almost certainly the same part/wiring connector if that is your problem.

Regards
G
adrianvp   
Thu Jan 21 2016, 12:22am
Member No: #704
HI all

Firstly thanks muchly to G merry. I've had a peer under the hood and whilst I can't be sure that I see the cam sensor I can see the area in which I am supposed to be looking. I'll drop in to a Ford (Aust Ford Territory has the 2.7 HDI)or land rover dealer and see if they can give me an exact identification (and a price). One of the difficulties I am having with this issue is that the best Citroen dealer in the country Continental Motors in Sydney, is so busy that they can't given me a booking until mid March!!
arconell3   
Fri Jun 08 2018, 03:22pm
Member No: #922
Hi Adrian,
I hope you are still a frequent visitor here. Have you been able to sort out the problems? And if so, what was causing them? Could it be that the timing belt change was done without disconnecting the battery first?
Reason I'm asking is that a German C6 friend of mine has had his timing belt changed (at a Cit Workshop), and ended up with exactly the same problems and error codes (!!) including a damaged alternator, resulting in a dead battery, within 50 kms after leaving the workshop. (You said the alternator clutch failed, in his case it was the alternator itself, although I don't know which part).

Regards, Robert
Website

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club