C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Folding Wing Mirrors Winter Conditions

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
gmerry   
Thu Dec 24 2009, 10:10am
Member No: #21
My folding wing mirrors are making some nasty noises in the winter due to cold/ice etc. During this very cold weather I'd prefer to keep them folded out.

Is it possible for the owner to over-ride the automatic folding function when the ignition is off and key withdrawn. I've read in the handbook it requires the dealer to access the on-board computer and reset the defaults, not really an option for me just now.

Alternatively, can I pull a fuse to stop them folding? Which fuse number and fusebox, what else will it affect?

Regards

G
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 24 2009, 10:59am

Member No: #1
Mine make a noise warm or cold right at the end of the fold

Pulling the fuse may disable the heating as well though. Can't check at the moment as the car is having the tyre valve replaced but will take a look later
Website
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 24 2009, 04:24pm

Can't find any reference to which fuse it is but have uploaded the schematic for the mirror functions which may help

You can get a copy here: - Click Here -
Website
tino   
Wed Mar 24 2010, 11:22pm
Member No: #11
Mine don't fold as smoothly or as quietly as some other types of car but I understand that's how all the C6's are . Sometimes one mirror will refuse to fold out, but pulling back on the mirror switch folds the mirrors back in and out and this cures the issue.
C6Dave   
Wed Mar 24 2010, 11:25pm

Mine sometimes are 'jerky' but always fold in and out

If they refuse to fold I would get the dealers to look again if the car is under warranty, they aren't cheap to replace
Website
tino   
Wed Mar 24 2010, 11:31pm
Member No: #11
It's happened about 3 times in 9 months .... but if it happens once again I'll take your advice and get it looked at under warranty (hence my thinking about getting an extended warranty - see my other thread).
capt109   
Fri Mar 26 2010, 11:34pm
Member No: #47
Mine sometimes fail to fold in when you lock the car. If you unlock and lock the car again they then fold in ok

It sometimes seems to be related to pressing the deadlock function too quickly after the first lock.

They do seem to be affected by the cold and general grime build up in the winter
michaelb   
Sat Mar 27 2010, 04:31pm
Member No: #14
capt109 wrote ...

Mine sometimes fail to fold in when you lock the car. If you unlock and lock the car again they then fold in ok

It sometimes seems to be related to pressing the deadlock function too quickly after the first lock.

I've had the same issue several times. I've taken to locking the car then double-clicking the remote's lock button to deadlock the car.
C6Dave   
Tue Oct 25 2011, 06:09pm

gmerry wrote ...

Is it possible for the owner to over-ride the automatic folding function when the ignition is off and key withdrawn. I've read in the handbook it requires the dealer to access the on-board computer and reset the defaults, not really an option for me just now.

As already said by others, a quick double click of the locking button on the remote will lock the car, without folding the mirrors, on my C6 as well G

Very useful if we get some bad weather this winter
Website
gmerry   
Thu Oct 27 2011, 05:41pm
Member No: #21
Hi Dave, double quick doesn't seem to stop mirrors folding on mine.

The tip on squirting some WD40 through the hole in the folded mirror has done the job and they now open and close smoothly without stutter. Is this one for a sticky?

Regards
G
Ped   
Thu Oct 27 2011, 07:00pm
Member No: #82
Double click doesn't stop mine folding either.

Thanks for WD40 tip! Along with the 'move the steering wheel' tip for when the cruise control stops working, very handy.
JimC   
Thu Oct 27 2011, 07:38pm
Member No: #229
Double click works fine on mine (but you've got to be quick!).
WD40 on the creaky mirrors worked a treat as well
ciao_chao   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 12:49pm
Member No: #518
Double click does sometimes keep the mirrors out, but it's a strange one. You have to be in a specific location...
Ped   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 03:28pm
Member No: #82
Hm. How so? Maybe I'll try it. Do I have to tap my head and rub my tummy?
C6Dave   
Mon Oct 31 2011, 03:40pm

Ped wrote ...

Hm. How so? Maybe I'll try it. Do I have to tap my head and rub my tummy?

no, just a very quick double click of the lock button after switching off the ignition
Website
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club