Highest MPG? (over 100+ miles)

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Ciaran   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 05:49pm
Member No: #3087
Wow that is some going.
As Dave says, there may be some other environmental conditions at play there, but well done.

I can only dream of ~40 MPG, nevermind 70+.

I have to say though, it does do marginally better on the premium diesel, averaging 26,27MPG as opposed to 20-21.

As someone else said though, these are hardly economical cars, if you want interstellar MPG buy a small engined diesel shopping cart, its really not what the C6 is about, but some achievement none the less, I doubt we'll see that figure from a 2.7 again!
Sevenman   
Sat Jul 08 2017, 09:10pm
Member No: #2241
321dave wrote ...

You mentioned the new tyres, but I'm guessing there must be more to the incredible MPG, something like the roads must be ever so slightly downhill and the road surfaces must be super smooth or very good. And you must be a regular user of good fuel. Has the 2.7 had the EGRs blanked and the engine chipped a little?

Thanks for the comments.

I reset the trip computer on the M25 some way before the M40, so I am not sure there is much of a descent going that way. Using map tools, I may have started at ~ 80m above sea level and finished at ~ 60m above sea level. Over 100 miles with plenty of ups and down that won't have much effect.

Road surfaces were as good as the M25, M40, M42 and M5 provide.

EGR valves are both there, engine is not chipped, just well-run in (116k miles and on good oil). I often use Shell fuel, sometimes V-Power diesel. And sometimes Morrisons. Maybe gearbox flush helped a bit.

Ciaran wrote ...

As Dave says, there may be some other environmental conditions at play there, but well done.

I can only dream of ~40 MPG, nevermind 70+.

I have to say though, it does do marginally better on the premium diesel, averaging 26,27MPG as opposed to 20-21.

As someone else said though, these are hardly economical cars, if you want interstellar MPG buy a small engined diesel shopping cart, its really not what the C6 is about, but some achievement none the less, I doubt we'll see that figure from a 2.7 again!

Cheers

Environmental effects... Not from the weather / wind direction since my heading varied on that route. However to reduce drag I tended to follow lorries. Not excessively close (certainly less than many people tailgate, I am not an Audi driver), but enough to gain some benefit through the air. Also, the air-con spent some time off to reduce engine load (this was the only drive I have ever turned it off).

The other aspect is the average speed.

Where those pictures show an average speed of 53 - 55 mph, that is because my speed varied little. Not some time at 75, some at 30 and some stopped. Also critical is that I didn't touch the brakes once until around mile 98 when I came off onto A roads, that is why the mpg drops a little bit.

Fairly quiet motorways, no hold-ups, looking well ahead to anticipate any issues and no need to brake.

For the 110 mile trip that I regularly do from home to one of my sites, and is a mix of A-roads, B-roads, dual-carriageway and motorway, sticking to the speed limit + a small margin I expect to get ~ 45 to 47 mpg indicated. That includes traffic lights, some traffic, roundabouts, hills etc.

For local driving, I get low 30s.

For going for a very fast drive, I take the TVR. The C6 gets some good blasts at times and certainly enjoys a higher speed run.

So it can be done, but it takes a fair bit of effort. When these cars are up and rolling I think their aerodynamics are good and efficiency is high helped by the long gearing. Stopping and starting their considerable mass is where the difference is between the C6 and a shopping car.

So if anybody tells me it is uneconomical I can point them at some high mpg figures (and maybe not tell them what effort I went to), and if someone says Citroens are unreliable I can tell them it has never let me down in the 2 years I have had it, which is better than most of my other cars.
Ciaran   
Sun Jul 09 2017, 12:57pm
Member No: #3087
Very interesting.
Did you use the cruise control at all or was it all manual control?

When you mention being behind the lorries, not braking once, the traffic being light etc, it does start to seem a bit more achievable. I may have to make an attempt myself. If I could see MPG in the 50s I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised, but if you can get 70 it can be done.

Is your engine under tray intact? I note some (including mine), seem to have parted company. That's bound to have some effect on aerodynamics too.

I wonder if its possible to verify the correct operation of the function which is supposed to lower body height at certain speeds to further improve aerodynamics, its pretty hard to detect the car lowering by a few centimeters when the speed is high.

As for Citroens being unreliable? I'd say they're no less reliable than anything else as long as they're maintained properly. There's a whole uneducated, hyped up fear factor surrounding hydraulic Citroens as a whole and the C6 is no exception. Then again I have 4 XMs so I might be somewhat biased
Jas16   
Sun Jul 09 2017, 10:57pm
Member No: #2994
On my 2.2hdi manual, the best tank mileage I have achieved so far is 53.2mpg over 718.2miles. Mostly 60mph driving on motorway but plenty of A and road travel. Very little city driving, probs only 40 miles in total I think.

Certainly cannot complain.
mtee   
Mon Jul 10 2017, 03:03pm
Member No: #1924
Our long-time average is 40 mpg.

The best leg (between 2 subsequent refuelings) has been 45 mpg.

The car is 3.0 HDi 2012.

Fuel consumption history: - Click Here -
Sevenman   
Thu Jul 13 2017, 02:34pm
Member No: #2241
Ciaran wrote ...

Did you use the cruise control at all or was it all manual control?

I don't think so, was just using very gentle throttle keeping it nice and smooth.

I often use cruise control - yesterday's 110 mile drive down South was showing 49.2 mpg on arrival after a mix of A/B/motorway at speed limit and with cruise control at 70 where I could.

Ciaran wrote ...

Is your engine under tray intact? I note some (including mine), seem to have parted company. That's bound to have some effect on aerodynamics too.

Yes, it is intact. When I bought the car I found there was a little damage to the big panel that has sound insulation but I bought a new one of those from Citroen last year. Cheaper variants on eBay, but they don't have the sound insulation.

Ciaran wrote ...

I wonder if its possible to verify the correct operation of the function which is supposed to lower body height at certain speeds to further improve aerodynamics, its pretty hard to detect the car lowering by a few centimeters when the speed is high.

I suspect that would be very hard to verify without something looking at the car's information and there being a flag that it is active. Given the amount of ride height and suspension travel I can't see any simple ways of doing it.
ul9601   
Thu Jul 13 2017, 09:03pm
Member No: #1975
I find that cruise control actually is detrimental to fuel economy as it cannot "predict" what's coming up and compensate for it, instead it just blindly tries to stick to the set speed, especially on roads with a series of dips and crests.
FraserG   
Thu Jul 13 2017, 09:57pm
Member No: #2011
True. I barely use my cruise control as it only works once and then goes on the blink until the next drive.

Sadly it is not one of the truly useful new systems which keep a preset distance from cars in front if you happen upon one. That would be a great addition to the car and I see now comes on the new Suzuki Swifts in NZ as standard!
ul9601   
Thu Jul 13 2017, 11:47pm
FraserG wrote ...

True. I barely use my cruise control as it only works once and then goes on the blink until the next drive.

Sadly it is not one of the truly useful new systems which keep a preset distance from cars in front if you happen upon one. That would be a great addition to the car and I see now comes on the new Suzuki Swifts in NZ as standard!

Fraser - interesting you mention the adaptive cruise control, as someone with the eagle eye on the forum found that the instrument display actually has a provision for this feature. It is at the far left end of the display, just under the cruise control symbol - looks like a triangle with a car profile. Which brings to my point that C6 actually lacks high tech features compared to the other contemporary cars.
My hats off to Suzuki for putting the feature as standard - I had a 2nd gen Swift (2005) for a while, a brilliant fun car to drive but the boot was a bit too small. I could barely fit a gearbox in it
vaho   
Fri Jul 14 2017, 07:41am
Member No: #2228
Yes, the symbol for adaptive cruise control exsist on the dashboard and on the head up display also. Too bad they did not put the other hardware in and I have not found any references in the software also.

Bad quality picture but the symbol is visible:

ul9601   
Fri Jul 14 2017, 07:47am
ul9601 wrote ...

FraserG wrote ...

Fraser - interesting you mention the adaptive cruise control, as someone with the eagle eye on the forum found that the instrument display actually has a provision for this feature. It is at the far left end of the display, just under the cruise control symbol - looks like a triangle with a car profile. Which brings to my point that C6 actually lacks high tech features compared to the other contemporary cars.
My hats off to Suzuki for putting that feature in as standard - I had a 2nd gen Swift (2005) for a while, a brilliant fun car to drive but the boot was a bit too small. I could barely fit a gearbox in it

ul9601   
Fri Jul 14 2017, 07:50am
^ oops - sorry, edit gone wrong...
Wantathreelitre   
Sat Jul 15 2017, 11:47am
Member No: #3179
My last tank got me 35.7 mpg which i think is excellent for the older less efficient 2.7.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club