C6owners :: Forums :: The Lounge :: The Lounge

Change of car....

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 24 2015, 10:59am

Member No: #1
Well 3 months into owning a C4 1.6 THP 155 EGT6 Exclusive, it's been sold.......

Yes I have lost money, but I really didn't like the EGT6 gearbox or the 'choppy' ride of the car so it's been sold.

It's being replaced by a 2015 VW CC 2.0 Diesel DSG Auto with all the toys, leather etc. and 1,540 miles on the clock at 33% below list price including 3 years servicing.....

Yes I know all about the emissions issue, but I wanted a bigger car and petrol just wasn't the way to go on a 1.5 ton machine.

I could have bought a Merc etc. for the same money but one of those would have been 2-3 years old with 30K+

As for another C6, well again there was the age and maintenance issue, they are becoming a bit of a money pit for quite a few owners so the head ruled the heart I'm afraid.
Website
magicands   
Tue Nov 24 2015, 12:59pm
Member No: #1021
Good luck with the VW Dave.
Website
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 24 2015, 02:03pm

magicands wrote ...

Good luck with the VW Dave.

It's got 2.5 years warranty left and I have a guaranteed value in 3 years time so should be OK
Website
drummond   
Tue Nov 24 2015, 05:38pm
Member No: #238
Can't understand why you've gone for the VW, Dave, with that gorgeous DS in the garage- when I get mine back (thank you, Robert!) I'll use it all the time.
C6Dave   
Tue Nov 24 2015, 07:00pm

drummond wrote ...

Can't understand why you've gone for the VW, Dave, with that gorgeous DS in the garage- when I get mine back (thank you, Robert!) I'll use it all the time.

Yes it's a great car Tim but being a 4 speed D Super, not the quietest car out there and all the salt we get on roads in the winter would play havoc with it plus it currently only gets mid to low 20's to the gallon so longer runs don't happen often.

A car with a galvanised body and 50+ mpg makes more sense the further North one goes in the UK
Website
C6Dave   
Sun Nov 29 2015, 07:36pm

OK 3 days into ownership and yes it doesn't ride like a C6, but it's very acceptable after the C**P C4 and unlike the C6, no LHM system to maintain or worry about.

The gearbox isn't a traditional torque converter auto but a dual clutch one and is every bit as smooth as a slush box with better mpg, but there are no paddles to use manually etc. it's simply an auto.

Sat Nav and sound systems are fine and on a par with the C6, but not as good as the Nissan Leaf (on which sat nav is pointless due to range) but it appears there is no option for safety camera alerts which seems a bit strange. USB and SD card slots are standard and Bluetooth integration for my iPhone was a breeze importing the contact list in seconds.

Stop start system works a treat in traffic, at the lights etc. firing the engine instantly when you release the foot brake.

The leather sport seats are comfortable but not like the C6 or DSuper 'arm chairs' and the heating works quickly as do the heated seats.

Door glass is the same as the C6, frameless and acoustic.

The C6 HUD is a miss though as is the V6 'purr' but for a 2.0 hdi it goes very well and quietly.

Overall though, it's a better package than anything Citroen had to offer at the price/mileage, even pre registered.

Main downside, rear view through the sloping back window is restricted and VW said you can't retro fit the reverse camera option, so going to Autosounds in Newcastle on 7th December to have one fitted with an interface to the Sat Nav screen just like the OEM so 'up yours VW'
Website
Bishop   
Mon Nov 30 2015, 04:00pm
Member No: #868
If I may say, Dave, it's been a bit of a revelation reading some of your comments on this thread about the C6. In the past, you've been, understandably and quite humanly, sensitive to criticisms about the reliability of, and cost of maintaining the C6. So, comments like "As for another C6, well again there was the age and maintenance issue, they are becoming a bit of a money pit for quite a few owners", and "unlike the C6, no LHM system to maintain or worry about" read a bit like a body-blow of a change of heart, or mind, about the viability of running a C6.

I write as someone who has kept hold of my C6 even though I feel it is no longer viable/ reliable as my daily steed for the 130 mile round trip of a daily commute. Hence, I am not meaning to knock you on your approach - I bought a nearly new Mazda 3 Saloon to do my daily donkey work - but I'm just interested whether it is a period of C6-abstinence has altered your perspective?
C6Dave   
Mon Nov 30 2015, 07:19pm

Bishop, I had to factor into my decision that I have 2 classics to restore and look after (which over the past 3 years hasn't been cheap), I'm retired and there are limits to the amount of cash I want to be paying out and the VW is on a pcp contract at £188 a month for 3 years which amounts to about the cost of a decent used C6, but with lower VED, no servicing or repairs to pay for and under VW warranty.

Financially, it was the only way to go, but yes, I miss the C6.
Website
Bishop   
Wed Dec 16 2015, 11:10am
Member No: #868
Dave,

Thanks for the honest response, and I meant nothing negative in commenting on your actions. I greatly admire your choice of classics. I so nearly bought a DS very like yours (a resprayed/ restored 1970 D-Super) and bottled it for very "practical issues" (lack of garage, need for reliable, daily-use form of transport, etc.) and then instantly (i.e. the same morning that I went to see the DS) drove to Wokingham and bought the Ganache 2.7 V6 HDi Exclusive that I still own and drive today regularly after 5 years and 85,000 miles.

It was just a bit of a shock to read some of your words given that you have always been the most vigorous "defender of the faith" in the C6.

I like the look of the CC a lot too, as it happens, and am sure it's the perfect complement to your classic Citroens. Bonne route!
frozenbeard81   
Sat Feb 27 2016, 08:13am
Member No: #2503
Speaking as a man whose last car was Audi TT with a DSG gearbox, I can honestly say the C6 is going to have to go some to beat that [%*^#@!] awful money put piece of [%*^#@!] VAG. Each to their own I seriously hope the mechantronic unit does not fail on you... as for VAG reliability, that's a fallacy IMO.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club