C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

C6 Tyre Valve failure

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
C6Dave   
Sun Dec 20 2009, 12:52pm

Member No: #1
When driving yesterday the Service light flashed on with a low tyre pressure warning. So duly pumped them up (offside front was low) and the system reset and I thought no more of it, big mistake.

Came out this morning to go to the newspaper shop and the same tyre was flat. On checking, the top of the valve stem had snapped just below the dust cap so is going to need replacing (it is a common problem with the valves across the whole Citroen/Peugeot car range that use them) and as it's a Sunday, all the dealers are closed so it will have to wait until tomorrow as it's far too cold here today to even bother!!

If they won't cover it under warranty then I don't think I will be paying £90 to replace it and simply go for a normal valve, but..............
Website
michaelb   
Sun Dec 20 2009, 01:07pm
Member No: #14
Sorry to hear that.

Such is the trouble with all new technology

If you are still inside the warranty period I can't see how they can refuse to cover it. It's not like you abused or misused the valve in any way.
C6Dave   
Mon Dec 21 2009, 06:05pm

Had a bit of a mission with it today, phoned the garage who said put the spare on and bring it in and we will take a look.

Now it was still -2c but had a go.

Got all the wheel bolts out but.....

Yep the wheel had bonded to the hub and wouldn't move so called Citroen Assist

RAC came out and duly got the wheel changed (needed a copper faced mallet to move it)

He wasn't surprised when he saw the valve as it's quite common, especially on Ford's for some reason which tend to blow the valve core out!)

Anyway went 15 miles to the dealers through all the pre christmas shopping traffic.

No problem, it will be replaced but.....

None in stock so had to be ordered and won't arrive until Wednesday which means I have to go back Thursday AM (Christmas Eve) to have it fitted and coded to the car

I had to politely insist they fitted a normal vale as a temporary measure as I wasn't prepared to run around for 4 days with no spare in this weather

So on we go

They did have a 58 plate C6 in the showroom in Storm Grey which I was told was on it's way to a buyer in the Midlands and they had an Iron Grey and a Black one outside still available

Interest in the cars is picking up though
Website
michaelb   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 08:08am
Member No: #14
C6Dave wrote ...

None in stock

That's quite worrying

Good luck with it.
C6Dave   
Tue Dec 22 2009, 01:59pm

Sorry should have said 'non in stock at the garage' and has to be ordered from Citroen UK central warehouse who do have them'
Website
tonyrome   
Wed Dec 23 2009, 09:30am
Member No: #15
C6Dave wrote ...
Interest in the cars is picking up though

Really? I hope so but there's currently a dealer in the UK selling an 06 2.7HDi Exclusive for £12995. I discovered they have just knocked £2K off the price, as they can't sell it... Maybe the new 3 litre diesel engine version will stimulate some interest. However, the new price still pits it against the Jaguar XF, which seems far too high to me.
C6Dave   
Thu Dec 24 2009, 04:06pm

12,330 miles on the clock - had the tyre pressure sensing valve changed today under warranty so everything is OK again. The front tyres are down to 3mm so looks like a new set will be needed around 15-16,000 miles.

Not a great deal of mileage but it is a big heavy car so not unexpected.

Asked about the life expectancy of the sensors as they have a lithium battery inside to send the signal. Bad news, if the battery goes, you have to replace the whole sensor. All that cam be replaced separately is the central Schroeder valve if it leaks (but only on newer ones apparently)

The good news though is that they have been used since the previous version of the C5 and the C4 since September 2004 and they have never had one to change because of a failed battery.

However when pushed on how long the battery may last I was told........ "We have no idea"
Website
cruiserphil   
Sun Jan 24 2010, 04:19pm

Member No: #38
Yes. We had two of these fail in the course of 2 months. I put it down to damage as the wheels have kerb marks from previous owner. Both broke in the same place just below the internal thread for the valve so it came with it. The first breakage was on a garage forecourt while putting air in the tyre. As said wheel was a bit stubbrn to remove. Maybe some copper grease on wheel hub? That's what I had on XM for alloys and no problems. Does this look like a weakness in the design rather than liable to damage. I'd be concerned about one failing at motorway speeds.
C6Dave   
Sun Jan 24 2010, 04:34pm

Yes, the wheels should be removed and 'copper slip' sparingly applied so that they don't 'bond' to the hub

The valves fail normally due to the dust caps again 'binding' to the valve and when removed crack or shear the stems

Always use plastic caps, never metal.
Website
cruiserphil   
Sun Jan 24 2010, 09:14pm

Member No: #38
Thanks for the tip on the caps. Here in Ireland the valve unit are €83 + 21% VAT. If another breaks I think I'll see if there is a way of modifying to improve life.
C6Dave   
Sun Jan 24 2010, 11:33pm

If they break again just replace them with ordinary valves.

The system will throw the odd 'Tyre Pressure not monitored' warning but if it really bugs you a dealer (or anyone with Lexia/Proxia can deactivate the function
Website
tonyrome   
Tue Jan 26 2010, 11:17am
Member No: #15
C6Dave wrote ...
The system will throw the odd 'Tyre Pressure not monitored' warning

That is pretty annoying, actually! It is accompanied by a very loud noise, which is more likely to result in an accident than if you weren't informed of the lack of tyre pressure monitoring . Also, I've found that, despite Citroen's claim in the handbook, it does not simply warn you once but from time to time during a longer journey. I wouldn't want to turn it off completely, though, since my summer tyres do have the correct valve and it could prove useful. The ideal option would be a simple switch, which could be used to temporarily switch it off.
urb   
Tue Jan 26 2010, 07:31pm
Member No: #26
Using Lexia, you can turn off the sound and you could also turn off the tyre pressure monitoring.
Their also another ( dumb ) warning that you could change: if you drive over 180km/h ( default ?)
there will be a waring that you should raise the pressure in the tyres.
C6Dave   
Tue Jan 26 2010, 08:05pm

urb wrote ...

Using Lexia, you can turn off the sound and you could also turn off the tyre pressure monitoring.

That's the issue with swapping wheels from summer to winter, to access Lexia means a dealer visit and a minimum £30 charge (half an hours labour in the UK) twice a year to disable / enable)

To buy a system is possible from China but would cost £250 via eBay so it's not economically viable if you want to retain the function
Website
Dave Mc   
Fri Mar 05 2010, 07:27pm
Member No: #64
Renault Lagunas suffer from this valve problem. Two years ago it cost me £90 to have one replaced.
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club