Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: Car Care and Maintenance Tips

Starter motor and pre-emptive maintenance?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
e3steve   
Wed Nov 11 2015, 12:15pm
Member No: #1163
Having watched your videos I'd say the starter motor is beginning to fail. Mine was like that for a good while then, suddenly, it began to crank slower and draw more and more current until, eventually, it was spooking the ECUs with massive voltage troughs.

I reckon you'll need to replace it within the next 5k to 10k miles...
Sevenman   
Wed Nov 11 2015, 08:12pm
Member No: #2241
e3steve wrote ...

Having watched your videos I'd say the starter motor is beginning to fail. Mine was like that for a good while then, suddenly, it began to crank slower and draw more and more current until, eventually, it was spooking the ECUs with massive voltage troughs.

I reckon you'll need to replace it within the next 5k to 10k miles...

Thanks for the info.

I'll keep an eye on it, would rather change it before an issue develops. 2 starts like the video today and one unusually long start.
Sevenman   
Fri Nov 13 2015, 08:52am
e3steve wrote ...

Having watched your videos I'd say the starter motor is beginning to fail. Mine was like that for a good while then, suddenly, it began to crank slower and draw more and more current

I recorded a properly slow start this morning, see the link below. About 4.5 seconds of turning over before it fired (and then ran smoothly). Compared to about 1 second for the other vids, and what I think it less than 1 second for the other diesel cars I have had. Those 4.5 seconds seemed like a long time.

For context, the car had only been sat for 13 hours after ~ 20 miles of driving yesterday, and the day before that it did 250 miles. The day before that the battery was fully topped-up by my CTEK charger when I was doing car polishing etc. This is all with a brand new original spec battery.

Slow start video

I think the starter replacement may happen sooner rather than later.
e3steve   
Fri Nov 13 2015, 08:52pm
Sevenman wrote ...

e3steve wrote ...

Having watched your videos I'd say the starter motor is beginning to fail. Mine was like that for a good while then, suddenly, it began to crank slower and draw more and more current

I recorded a properly slow start this morning, see the link below. About 4.5 seconds of turning over before it fired (and then ran smoothly). Compared to about 1 second for the other vids, and what I think it less than 1 second for the other diesel cars I have had. Those 4.5 seconds seemed like a long time.

For context, the car had only been sat for 13 hours after ~ 20 miles of driving yesterday, and the day before that it did 250 miles. The day before that the battery was fully topped-up by my CTEK charger when I was doing car polishing etc. This is all with a brand new original spec battery.

Slow start video

I think the starter replacement may happen sooner rather than later.
Steep decline. Sphuckt, mate! Look on eBay for one from Premier Factors. I think I've seen them at £150 nowabouts...
Sevenman   
Fri Nov 13 2015, 09:52pm
e3steve wrote ...

Steep decline. Sphuckt, mate look on eBay for one from Premier Factors. I think I've seen them at £150 nowabouts...

It is variable, had 2 OK starts since then. I had seen those starters on eBay, linked off one of your posts I think?

My Citroen chap is going to find a few options, then I can choose the most powerful... Hopefully it will last for a week.
e3steve   
Sat Nov 14 2015, 08:55am
I only drive mine every weekend, sometimes every other. My battery -- a Varta Silver Dynamic H3, 100Ah/830CCA -- is now exactly two years old this month and is not 'tended' (trickle charged). Since I replaced my old Denso starter motor with the Premier Factors one the old thing spins like sewing machine on steroids!
Sevenman   
Fri Nov 27 2015, 07:21am
e3steve wrote ...
Since I replaced my old Denso starter motor with the Premier Factors one the old thing spins like sewing machine on steroids!

And now mine does too, see the separate thread I started here:

Lots more starter motor videos!

My early service also included oil and filter, air-con (apparently 450g out, 650g in), freeing-up the partially seized rear brake caliper (hopefully no more squeaking) and some others checks.

Next on my to-do list is some 17" wheels for winter tyres, not sure they come up very often. Ideally alloys, but I could get steel wheels if nothing else is available.
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club