Parrot mki9200 and RT4 with JBL amp question

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
Grumpytvr   
Tue Oct 27 2015, 09:46pm
Member No: #742
Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted on here. Still loving my C6 and it's French quirks but looking to improve the dealer fitted Parrot installation.

I have the RT4 system with JBL amp fitted, but I think the parrot mki9200 system has been installed with a SOT lead for the non amplified system. My plan is to use the CD changer input to connect the pre-outs from the parrot unit so I can at least use the volume control on the column. I've got Lexia so can enable the port.

I've also discovered that Connects 2 do a control unit that can operate the parrot unit from the column control. - Click Here -

My question is this, Is the BUS output from the RT4 CD changer socket true CANBUS or is it something else? Might make wiring the connects2 unit up and operation of the column controls a bit easier if it is CANBUS. Can anyone confirm please?

I use most of the functions on the RT4 regularly (USB, CD, Jukebox, Radio), so I only want to be able to access the parrot when I'm using the CD changer port, not on top of everything else (if that makes any sense). Don't have a problem in switching to the CD port to make or receive calls, this doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that I have the facility in the car to stream music using bluetooth via the Parrot unit but the sound quality is rubbish and I can't use the column controls!!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

e3steve   
Tue Oct 27 2015, 10:14pm
Member No: #1163
1. Seems to me that the 'dealer' has installed the Parrot incorrectly, if the streamed music sound quality is poor and the stalk buttons don't work.

2. The link you posted is dead, atm.
Grumpytvr   
Tue Oct 27 2015, 11:29pm
Member No: #742
I don't think the Parrot kit has been installed incorrectly as it works. I think it's been installed with an SOT lead for non amplified systems (I believe this was quite common as this is how most sound on top leads work). There is no stalk control currently, that's what I'm looking to install. Hence my question regarding the BUS protocol from the CD changer port.

The reason that the Parrot sound quality is bad is that the amplified speaker output from it is connected to the JBL amp meaning the sound is amplified twice. Also it only plays through the front 2 speakers. This is why I'm looking to connect the pre-outs (unamplified outputs) from the parrot to the CD changer port. This should give sound through all speakers and be of a better quality.

Not sure why the link didn't work, so I'll try it again:

- Click Here -

e3steve   
Wed Oct 28 2015, 08:14am
That link worked...

My 'incorrectly' statement stands (although I could be incorrect...). The point I was making is the fact that if it had been installed correctly then it would work as it should. However, I was getting confused, as my experience has been with RT3!

Of course, sound quality with a Sound On Top lead system is usually pretty poor when compared to ISO the interface, but the ISO interface is post-head unit, so that method, by its very design, bypasses the stalk anyway.

Sorry for the confusion on my part
e3steve   
Sun Dec 20 2015, 11:04pm
Grumpytvr wrote ...

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted on here. Still loving my C6 and it's French quirks but looking to improve the dealer fitted Parrot installation.

I have the RT4 system with JBL amp fitted, but I think the parrot mki9200 system has been installed with a SOT lead for the non amplified system. My plan is to use the CD changer input to connect the pre-outs from the parrot unit so I can at least use the volume control on the column. I've got Lexia so can enable the port.

I've also discovered that Connects 2 do a control unit that can operate the parrot unit from the column control. - Click Here -

My question is this, Is the BUS output from the RT4 CD changer socket true CANBUS or is it something else? Might make wiring the connects2 unit up and operation of the column controls a bit easier if it is CANBUS. Can anyone confirm please?

I use most of the functions on the RT4 regularly (USB, CD, Jukebox, Radio), so I only want to be able to access the parrot when I'm using the CD changer port, not on top of everything else (if that makes any sense). Don't have a problem in switching to the CD port to make or receive calls, this doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that I have the facility in the car to stream music using bluetooth via the Parrot unit but the sound quality is rubbish and I can't use the column controls!!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Take a little look-ee at this post: - Click Here -

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club