Login   
C6owners :: Forums :: C6 Support :: The Garage

Experience of removing the Instrument Panel please?

Home   Forum Rules    Forum Help  Conversion Tools

Please Register to enjoy additional Member Benefits
Author Post
robingc33   
Tue Oct 20 2015, 06:45pm
Member No: #2303
Hi,
I want to remove the instrument panel to try and find why it's flickering and blacking out occasionally (mainly when the car's cold).
Having read the relevant Technical Document it seems I should be able to prise out the surrounding black bezel, remove the two upper instrument panel fixing screws and then withdraw it.
However, the bezel seems a pretty tight fit, the Technical Document's a bit short on more detail and I don't want to break any plastic clips or mark the bezel, etc unnecessarily in the process.
If anyone's done this already, could they advise on exactly where the bezel clips/fixings are and the best way to remove it please?
So far I've "felt" my way with a credit card along a side-to-side gap within the upper inside surface of the bezel and found three obstructions that may be clips, but am not at all sure how best to proceed.
Any advice most welcome.
Thank you,
Robin
gbl   
Tue Oct 20 2015, 09:29pm
Member No: #936
Hi

You might have found the inaccurate instructions which describes removing the black bezel surround before removing the fake wood trim. Do not attempt to do that!

See my instructions in this thread:
- Click Here -
robingc33   
Wed Oct 21 2015, 02:27pm
Thanks very much for the excellent advice; I've got it out ok now. The bezel was a bit reluctant, but I eventually figured that out.
I'm going to try the simple solutions first, so have unplugged and replugged the display and put it back; leaving the trim off for the moment whilst I see if there's any improvement.
Thanks again,
Robin
gbl   
Wed Oct 21 2015, 08:36pm
Member No: #936
robingc33 wrote ...

Thanks very much for the excellent advice; I've got it out ok now. The bezel was a bit reluctant, but I eventually figured that out.
I'm going to try the simple solutions first, so have unplugged and replugged the display and put it back; leaving the trim off for the moment whilst I see if there's any improvement.
Thanks again,
Robin

Glad to hear you got it out.
If the problem persists, I can absolutely recommend sending the display in for repair with Garage Johan Oldenhage in The Netherlands.
robingc33   
Fri Oct 23 2015, 01:55pm
Thanks very much for that pointer; The problem with mine isn't a bad/dirty connection (needless to say!) so I've sent Garage Johan Oldenhage a note and am awaiting their reply.
"Speedorepair" in Waterlooville told me earlier that they can no longer repair these units since they can no longer obtain the crucial component involved (a small transformer on the pcb apparently).
Failing all else I'll see if I can identify the component and find a substitute, but being a surface-mount pcb doesn't make DIY solutions easy and despite trawling the web I haven't found a circuit diagram for this unit yet either
Thanks again,
Robin
C6Dave   
Fri Oct 23 2015, 05:58pm

Member No: #1
Multifunction Screen wiring circuit Diagram: - Click Here -
Website
robingc33   
Fri Oct 23 2015, 07:51pm
Thanks for that Dave; I hadn't spotted it in the Technical Documents.

Jump:     Back to top

User Colour Key:
Head Administrator, Administrator, C6 owner, Technical Expert, C6 Premier Discount Club